News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nate Oxman

Ed "Porky" Oliver Golf Club
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:31:21 PM »
More than a century ago, a country club sprouted up in the affluent Wilmington suburb of Westover Hills and became a second home for some of the DuPont Company’s upper management executives.
Just 30 years later, the club was gone, moving a few miles up Route 52 to a more spacious location that would serve as the canvas for one of the top classic designs in the country.
Thanks to the repeated generosity of the DuPont family, the golf course that was left behind remained, and through the commitment of the city of Wilmington, which operates Ed “Porky” Oliver Golf Club today as a municipal facility, the golf course continues to flourish.
It’s a definitive parkland layout: both walker- and player-friendly. It won’t wow you aesthetically - although the Wilmington skyline is a pleasant sight from the first tee - or in enormity. Instead, it warms you with its subtle charm, beckoning the nostalgic golfer to come take a look.
I fell in love with Porky Oliver’s before I knew a single thing about the golf course, before I even knew who Porky Oliver was. Now that I’ve learned its history and his legacy, I’d be honored to call it my second home (if only I could find the time). The Philadelphia area has more than its fair share of fine daily-fee options, but given the choice I’d much rather make the short drive down I-95 to Porky’s. Check out my profile of Ed Oliver Golf Club on the In My Opinion page.

Ran Morrissett

Re: Ed "Porky" Oliver Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 01:43:55 PM »
Nate's piece on the Porky Oliver Golf Club is found under In My Opinion and here:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/oxman-nate-endearing-ed-oliver-golf-club

Cheers,

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:12:03 PM »
 The third hole could find a place among the best courses in the country and not diminish the course. There at least a few other holes that are extremely fun to play. I lived about a mile from there for a few years and played there often .
AKA Mayday

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 06:34:24 PM »
I played there a few times and agree that there are a number of good holes.

I also love the story of Porky Oliver and the US Open.  I believe he teed off early due to an impending storm and ended up posting a score good enough to qualify for a playoff but was DQ'd for going off too early.  I am sure others can provide additional details.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:22:27 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back