News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

A Tip of the Hat (2) - Dick Kirkpatrick
« on: February 28, 2011, 05:43:59 PM »
The first time I started one of these it was for Rene Muylaert.

Today it is on Mr. Dick Kirkpatrick, who has designed courses that I enjoy -- and can afford to play -- on less than perfect sites, e.g.  Copetown Woods (used to be a broccoli farm) and Otter Creek (a tobacco field); and who has renovated a lovely and affordable course that I also enjoy, Lowville.  He has been working on golf courses for over 50 years.   (He has designed other courses - but these are the only ones I've played.)

Let me quote from a Robert Thompson article from a few years ago.

"Few Canadian golfers recognize Kirkpatrick’s name. For that matter, few of those in the golf media probably know who he is or what he’s done in his five decades in the game.  It was a half century ago when as an 18-year-old, Kirkpatrick showed up at Oakdale Golf and Country Club in Toronto to help his father assist designer Robbie Robinson in constructing a new nine holes. His father had told Robinson that his son was pretty handy with a backhoe, and the designer promptly had Kirkpatrick working on bunker drainage. Five decades later, he can still be found on a dozer, working on the rough shaping of his latest creation....."

A tip of the hat to you, Mr. Kirkpatrick -- and thanks.

Peter

Robert Thompson

Re: A Tip of the Hat (2) - Dick Kirkpatrick
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:02:09 AM »
Peter: Though I think most of what Rene did was lousy, I suppose he did create a lot of affordable golf. I'm a big fan of Dick's -- if he only created Copetown Woods it would be a fine accomplishment -- there have been fewer more successful courses in the past 20 years in Canada.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:34:42 AM »
I've been lucky enough to work with Dick a few times.

I couldn’t begin to guess how many courses Dick has built. He built most of Robbie Robinson’s work along with a whole host of other course for other architects along with quite a few of his own. There are lots of courses where Dick has designed and built new green sites or even entire holes when issues have come up in the field and he was told to make it work. I was very pleased to see him build a number of his own courses around the area. He not only deserved the opportunity, but built some pretty wonderful golf holes in the process.

I'm glad to call him one of my friend and one of my peers.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 01:40:09 PM »
Having gotten to know him over the past few years, I'm a big fan of Dick's as well.

A number of years ago now, we spent a memorable day together touring Hamilton Golf and Country Club (where he's done quite a bit of work) and his own course, nearby at Copetown Woods. We had a tee time at Otter Creek - which Dick more recently designed and constructed - last summer; but, unfortunately, I had to cancel. I still need to get up to see Otter Creek, soon.

Dick has a ton of stories about a long list of golf architects he's worked for and with over the years, from Stanley Thompson (via Robbie Robinson) and Robert Trent Jones to Tom McBroom and Ian Andrew (!). I'm sure there's a book there, if Dick was ever diligent about recording his experiences and remembrances!
jeffmingay.com

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 05:41:38 PM »
Thanks, gents. Rob - that was a very good way of putting it and one that I hadn't thought of, i.e. Copetown as one of the most
"successful courses in the past 20 years in Canada."  It is that, in every way it seems to me -- a course that everyone I know likes (a wide range of players), and proof of what CAN be done but so rarely is.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:06:29 PM by PPallotta »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »
Peter, et al, For us more than ignorant, could someone elaborate or articulate what and/ or why he's good? Describe why Copetown's been successful, while half of that time frame has been pretty difficult in the biz?

If I'd hazard a guess, He sounds like his courses could be fun, along with cost effective. Close?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:32:27 PM »
Adam - I too would like to hear the et al (Ian, Rob and Jeff) give their views, as they will be informed and expert in a way mine can't be.  
I can only give you a layman's perspective, and a simple one at that.  To me, it wasn't surprising to learn that Dick has been in the business, literally from the ground up, for so many years, and that he has worked with and for and on so many golf architects and courses.  Because simply put, Copetown Woods WORKS -- and it works in an understated but very satisfying way:  It doesn't try too hard to mask its roots as a former farm - the earth movement is gentle and minimal, and the imported wild grasses/fescue that define the holes looks natural and not overused. It has a wide, wide variety of hole lengths and shapes (for all the pars, 3s, 4s, and 5s) and the holes change direction and play with or against or angled into the wind in a very pleasant way. The tees are at, I think, about 6800-6900, 6400+, and 6100; the greens (including the double green at Nos 1 and 18) have movement/tilts and some undulations and hints of plateaus, and are angled to the line of play in interesting (but unforced) ways.  It is an easy and pleasant walk and the routing is good, but the course/club also welcomes riders and their carts. It welcomes everyone, really (especially since the $45 or so it costs to play is a wonderful bargain anywhere in the Greater Toronto Area.)  I think the slope rating from the back is around 128 or 130 (I don't remember); I know that we used to drive out the hour or so from downtown Toronto with a group that had high and mid and even once or twice quite a low handicap player -- and we ALL enjoyed it and could compete on it and never lost a ball.  (By the way, despite its popularity and the full tee sheets, I don''t ever remember any of those marathon 6 hour rounds or long waits happening there; the pace of play was alway decent.) The course makes sense, and has a wonderful feel about it.  I think what it feels is "unforced" - that's what I'd say about it, Adam -- like it is the work of an experienced and confident craftsman who wasn't trying to impress.    

Apologies: I know you could have used many more details, but my 'on course' memory -- whether I'm describing Copetown or Crystal Downs -- remains not very good, especially if I don't have a scorecard handy to remind me.  Like Rob said, it succeeded, and succeeded right away.  It works; it serves the golfer.  You know, Dr. MacKenzie could write about a great course giving the greatest pleasure to the greatest number, and people have been quoting it ever since. I have never met Mr. Kirkpatrick, but judging by how little he posts here (I didn't realize he was a member of the board until a few moments before I made my first post), I don't think he is a quote-meister or a man who engages in much self promotion.  But he has captured and honoured the essence and value of Mackenzie's statement very well, in the most unlikely of places and in a quiet way.  I admire very very much the outstanding and famous work that we read about on these pages day after day and year after year (and often by architects who participate on gca.com) -- those courses are well deserving of the praise they get.  But as the years go by, I am growing ever more fond and respectful of the good work done (often on plain/uninspiring sites) by unsung heros like Mr. Kirkpatrick.  I think it is that kind of work and those kind of heros who keep the game (and the profession) alive and well.  

Peter
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:57:38 PM by PPallotta »

Robert Thompson

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 07:57:41 AM »
Peter: You should have joined us a couple years back when Dick hosted a GCA group at Otter Creek. It was a good time capped by beers on Ian's deck afterwards.

We should do an outing at Copetown -- have Dick walk us through a course that cost less than $100,000 per hole to build, but which has generated more than 30,000 rounds each year since opening. Not bad for a former broccoli farm.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Matthew MacKay

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 09:09:43 AM »
To play devil's advocate, Rustic Canyon was built on pretty non-descript land, and on a similar budget, and it's infinately better than Copetown.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back