News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

THM! Alps - #7 Lahinch 4th (Advances) vs #14 Bandon Dunes 10th
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:22:16 PM »
You have till EOD (PST) Wed to cast your votes. Just state your preference on this thread. The voting is open to all. I highly recommend those who have played the holes to try to influence the voters as much as possible. I will tally the results on Thu and schedule the next round.

Seed #7

Lahinch Golf Club 4th – Klondyke

Tale of the tape: Par 5, 475 yards

Why: From Ran - The Klondyke is one of the best par fives in a country not associated with good par fives, with an exhilarating tee shot followed by a classic links shot up and over a massive sand dune (interestingly enough the hole was originally a par four, before the green was moved well back).

Seed #10

Bandon Dunes 10th

Tale of the tape: Par 4, 360 yards

Why: From Ran – The tenth has a wonderful golf quality that is too rarely seen, the kind of hole in that there is no one right way to play it. Though the ocean holes get the attention for all the obvious reasons, the interior holes at Bandon Dunes best display Kidd’s talents. Though plenty of dirt was moved to create the 10th, a number of interesting angles are the worthwhile result. The best angle into the green is from the left edge of the fairway but on the other hand, the shortest route to the green is straight ahead off the tee. You decide, and the odds are that during your stay, you will experiment with the different approach angles into the green. The strategy is reminiscent of Riviera’s all-world 10th hole and anytime that is drawn on as inspiration, promising golf follows.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:18:50 AM by Richard Choi »

Sean_A

I am not sure either of these holes is a good Alps, but the greensite alone makes me vote for BD.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Patrick Glynn

Richard,

Not sure what has happened - but you have a picture of the 4th on the Castle Course instead of the actual Klondyke green.

Patrick

Bill_McBride

Lahinch, that's not an Alps at Bandon.  But looking forward to playing it in less than three weeks!

jeffwarne

I am not sure either of these holes is a good Alps, but the greensite alone makes me vote for BD.

Ciao

In three plays at lahinch, I never got this hole
wild terrain though

10 at bandon is a better hole-maybe not an alps

Bandon
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

Jeff

Yes, I am not sure the Alps is cut out to be a par 5, but for me the balnd green site at Lahinch seals its fate. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Richard Choi

Richard,

Not sure what has happened - but you have a picture of the 4th on the Castle Course instead of the actual Klondyke green.

Patrick

Sorry, FIXED!

Morgan Clawson

Lahinch

Anthony Gray

Lahinch, that's not an Alps at Bandon.  But looking forward to playing it in less than three weeks!

Not disagreeing Bill,but what makes Bandon not an Alps?

Anthony

Mark McKeever

Lahinch.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Lahinch......one hundred times out of one hundred!

Jason Topp

Lahinch - it makes no sense, violates any principle I would ever create regarding golf hole construction except one - it is fun to hit a ball over a hill and see what happens.

Doug Siebert

This is really only a par 5 instead of 4 because there's blind and then there's BLIND.  No one would design a hole like this today, but I love quirk so I gotta give the nod to Lahinch.

Its fun to climb to the top of the mound to check your line and wait for the green to clear.  One could only dream of having a mountain like that when we were kids playing "king of the mountain"!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Scott Weersing

I vote for Bandon no. 10 because of the green site and there is more pressure to hit the green at Bandon than to hit the fairway with a blind shot.

Bandon would not be considered an Alps hole in my opinion because there is no bunker guarding the green, the green slopes towards the dune rather than away from it on an Alps hole. The distance to clear the dune is very short, while it is much longer on an Alps hole. I think Bandon no. 10 is an original hole with lots of options.

Jud_T

Both fun holes but the sentimental favorite has to be Lahinch.  Thought I was cool for getting up and down for birdie till my buddy in the following group holed out blind for an albatross!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Pete_Pittock

Played both. Have to go with Lahinch as a better representation of what we think about Alps.

But if you consiider them on a basis of strategy Bandon Dunes # 10 would win hands down in my book.

J Cabarcos

Lahinch.  The Klondike Hole is representative of what an Alps hole is, a total visual obstruction of the green which makes you second guess angle and yardage.  I surrendered a big number to this hole  after my approach few over the road behind the green.  That tall dune screws with you visually, something that cannot be said of the Bandon Hole.

Sean Leary

Lahinch...

Garland Bayley

After Sean put forth such a strong argument, I have to follow and say Lahinch.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

A friendly reminder that the voting window closes end of day today (Pacific time).

Lahinch is pulling away from Bandon with 11 to 3 so far.

Mike Hendren

Did  Bandon Dunes make the field by play-in?

Lahinch.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Matthew Petersen

Lahinch. Love using the Alps idea on a par 5.

I'd love to see a little more of this. Works similarly to the Hell's Half Acre concept in creating interest for the drive and second shot on a par 5.

Gary Slatter

Lahinch
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Phil McDade

Lahinch, even though I like the looks of the subtlety of the Alps at Bandon. But a friend who played Klondyke said it's the most fun he's had on any golf hole.

Ari Techner

Lahinch hands down

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back