News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

You have till EOD (PST) Wed to cast your votes. Just state your preference on this thread. The voting is open to all. I highly recommend those who have played the holes to try to influence the voters as much as possible. I will tally the results on Thu and schedule the next round.

Seed #3

Rye 13th

Tale of the tape: Par 4, 435 yards

Why: From Ran - The Sea Hole rivals the 3rd hole at National Golf Links of America and the original one at Prestwick as the finest Alps hole with which the authors are familiar. Fittingly enough, there are no bunkers around this hidden green.

Seed #14

Mont Adstock Golf Club 5th

Tale of the tape: Par 4, 420 yards

Why: From Binette - the mounds are like 40 feet high (probably some bedrock covered by dirt). What I love about the holes is the fact that a perfectly placed drive can be placed on a narrow gap on the right side on top of the hill, leaving you a clear view of the green, but a little left and the ball runs down the hill on the left side, leaving a blind, over the bunker approach a little too far right and you're blocked by some trees 50 yards further. The gap is about 10 yards wide and requires a 235 yards carry but you can’t hit it more than 260 on that line. A great hole, maybe less heroic but more strategic than the normal Alps hole

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:05:58 AM by Richard Choi »

Philippe Binette

Re: THM! Alps Region - #3 Rye 13th vs #14 Mont Adstock Golf Club 4th
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:23:59 PM »
just a note, it's the 5th hole at Mont Adstock... my mistake, always confuse because of the nine switch (originally was the 14th)

Sean_A

I am indifferent to Rye's Alps, but I can't get a good sense of its opposition.  Draw.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Rye.

Bill_McBride

Rye, in spite of my near death experience on the green.

Mark Pearce

Rye, but I'd like to know more about what Sean doesn't like about it.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

Mark

While Rye has interesting take on an Alps with a diagonal drive and approach I don't like the double dune aspect.  For me its one step too far with and a bit gimmicky.  Take away either the diagonal lines or the frontline dune.  Plus, probably becasue the first two shots are a bit funky, the green is a bit of a let down.  

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

jeffwarne

Mark

While Rye has interesting take on an Alps with a diagonal drive and approach I don't like the double dune aspect.  For me its one step too far with and a bit gimmicky.  Take away either the diagonal lines or the frontline dune.  Plus, probably becasue the first two shots are a bit funky, the green is a bit of a let down.  

Ciao  

Rye-I like the diagonal drive concept and i can't grasp the 5th at Mont Adstock
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark McKeever

Rye

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Phil McDade

The Rye version looks terrific; I think the diagonal adds to the uncertainty inherent in any Alps hole. It also has a touch of genius in the routing -- the aerial suggests a more conventional routing could've been used, but taking the hole up and over the dune to the parallel valley strikes me as superior design work.

Richard Choi

Just a friendly reminder that I will be closing the voting window at the end of the day today (Pacific time).

Rye is killing Mont Adstock 7-0 so far.

Richard Choi

The time is up and Rye moves easily to the second round with a 7 to 0 rout!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back