News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Re: Southerndown photo tour
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 09:50:24 PM »
Hole 16     389 yards, par 4
Time to climb again.  There is enough gorse scattered about to create problems.

Just one bunker protecting this green, though there is a depression on the left hand side that could really mess up a ground approach..

Beautiful transition from fairway to green. 

Hole 17     377 yards, par 4
The fairway here slopes right to left, and runs out about 250 yards from the tee.

From behind the green looking back at the tee.

Hole 18     413 yards, par 4
The course ends with a split level fairway. The split is just at a slight angle to the tee. You should let the hole location dictate which level of the fairway to hit at, but my thought was just to keep it between the gorse bushes.

From just behind the split.  Would be nice if the sheep could be induced to trim the grass on the slope.

From the upper fairway.  Bunkers front left and right.

Lovely view from the patio behind the green.  Could have been my favorite finishing hole of the trip if I hadn’t played Kington.

Southerndown is a beautiful course.  It’s hilly, but still walkable, with a great deal of ground movement and short grass abounds..  It’s a very good course, and I think could be great with a bit of gorse removal and more imaginative greenside bunkering.  From my count, ten holes have the approach narrowed by bunkers both short left and right of the green.  That, with gorse up the left side on six or seven of the holes leaves a bit too much of a feeling that you’ve seen the hole before.. 

The course is compact and well-routed, with some outstanding green sites, and those features should be allowed to shine a bit more.  It’s certainly a unique course, and even with my few quibbles well worth a trip.  My impressions were formed after only one time around, and I think the course could only get better with repeated play.

JNC Lyon

Re: Southerndown photo tour - final three holes posted
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 09:53:02 PM »
From the photos, I am a big fan of the grounds staff at Southerndown.  Did they steal him away from Brora?  I heard he was doing top-notch work at both places.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 10:01:57 PM »
John,

What a fascinating 18th hole.  One question.  You wrote that pin position should dictate tee shot location.  From the pictures it appears to me that entrance to the green is always easier from the upper level.  Does the green extend behind the front left bunker (thus dictating a tee shot to the lower fairway)?  And is the green and pin location clearly visible from the tee (it looks like it is).  And how obstructed (if at all) is the view to the green from the lower part of fairway by the fairway bunkers well short of the green?  Thanks for posting the pictures, the course looks like a lot of fun.

Mark

John Mayhugh

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »
John,
I think the staff member at Brora is probably just a distant relative.

Mark
The 18th green is sort of mushroom-shaped, with the area between the front bunkers sort of like a stem.  I'm pretty sure that the green & flag are visible from the tee, but if not members would know to look as they start play on the 1st.  From the lower fairway, the green surface is mostly hidden.

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 06:58:33 AM »
Cheers Tucky.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 03:58:38 PM »
Coincidentally to the comments about eco-bunker/durabunker on other current threads, I visited Southerndown recently and very nice it is too. Thoroughly enjoyable, challenging, many splendid holes (no obvious weak ones), great fun, windy as hell!

One thing I'd like to clear up is the existance or not of a double green as discussed above.

There is currently a double green and the putting surface's of the par-3 10th and the par-4 16th are linked. There is a narrow cross ridge between them though so without the ridge mowed to green height they could be maintained as two separate greens.

Most, but not all of the bunkers now have artificial revetted faces. Some bunkers on the back-9 are still outstanding.

The bunkers that had been done seemed impressive. Except for those newly done unless you have a very keen eye or were deliberately on the lookout I doubt many/most would even notice the artificial revettedness. Sand splash stays on the surfaces and grass etc grows on the surfaces.

I have some photos that I will post when time permits.

For future reference here are the eco-bunker/durabunker thread links -

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62493.0.html

&

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62512.0.html

Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back