News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Where would you like to see the World Match Play at?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 09:29:06 AM »
Yes, I think Deal would be an interesting course.  Portrush and Co Down would intrigue as well.  All would be a birdie fest in light weather and we would see a lot of aggressive play.  They would also be interesting in the wind as well.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Harris Nepon

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 09:35:04 AM »
Augusta National GC is the best match play course I have ever seen.

Just curious why this is true. I've obviously never played it so have no idea why it would be good or bad.

Harris Nepon

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »
And i would say Ballyneal would be awesome for them to play. Especially if they let the winner of each hole pick the next tee spot.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 09:56:51 AM »
I like to see it a links once in a while. To encourage a bit of shot making ;)

This time of year makes it a bit dodgy in the UK though weather wise (snow in Feb is not unusual which means course-closed).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:04:50 AM by Jamie Barber »

Tim Leahy

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 01:11:15 PM »
Cal Club in SF or SFCC or Olympic

Tim -

Are you picking those courses because you could watch them play?  Or because the would be interesting match play courses?  I'll assume the former ... winning a hole with a par ain't much fun to watch ...

If exciting, risk/reward match play golf is the objective, then Lincoln Park is the obvious answer.

Mike

Mike, it's match play, what's the difference if they win by par or birdie? I would like to see the golfers challenged and would love to see those courses mentioned on TV. I don't thiink enough people get to see those type of courses with cypress trees and rolling hills.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 01:19:31 PM »
Deal would be sweet for the Match Play, not sure why I didn't think of it before!  The weather is dodgy in late February, but when I played there in mid-March it was quite pleasant.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Anton

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »
Well my first pick would be for the worlds best players to come and slum it for a week at my local public course Golden Pheasant.  This way they would have to deal with the slow greens (I'm talking a 2 on the stimp) and 6" fairway grass (not quite but close).  But if I had to pick the top 3 match play courses for them to compete on realistically.....
1) Pine Valley
2) Augusta National (with a short 7th hole and all 4 par fives being more reachable)
3) Merion East

Honorable mention The Old Course
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

JNC Lyon

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 02:36:33 PM »
I'd like to see it at Tiger's course in Dubai next year.  I think it'd be fun for it to be there, particularly since he won't.

Sausage King of Chicago,

Will Tiger's Dubai course be finished by then, or ever, for that matter?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Anton

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »
Haha!  I wouldnt be at all surprised if he never won again.  His head just isn't in the game anymore no matter what he says. 

His course won't be done for a really long time according to all the news reports.  And the holes that are pictured as built really don't look like anything overly spectacular.  Looks like Shadow Creek before Las Vegas grew around it. 
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

DMoriarty

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 03:44:31 PM »
Where at?

WTF, is that english?

William,

If you're taking exception to a dangling preposition on a website about golf, I'd have thought you'd be equally fastidious about the word "English" being given its capital letter.

Those in glass houses...

Reminds me of the joke where a new kid at Harvard stopped an upperclassman in the yard and asked, "Excuse me, where is the library at?"   The upperclassman sternly answered, "At Harvard we don't end our sentences in prepositions."   The kid said, "Sorry.  Where is the library at, you asshole." 

That's why I chose not go to Harvard.

Don't like being called an asshole? ;)

Not intending to call anyone an asshole, and I apologize if it came off that way.  I'd have to get to know William before I would call him that.  The posts just reminded me of that joke.  I don't like dangling prepositions either and while I don't police others I try not to use them myself.  But sometimes not so doing is damn awkward, as is evidenced by the Churchill quote about dangling prepositions:  "That is something up with which I will not put."   Sometimes we just forget not to. 

As for the question at hand, since the Bay boys are being home towners, I'll throw in Riviera and LACC.  Both would be terrific and both could be set up in a way to provide for plenty of interesting match play dilemmas.   

To be a real homer I'd love to see a high level match play event at Rustic Canyon.  Depending upon the wind and conditions, about every hole can present significant alternatives throughout.   I haven't played many courses about which that could be said. (See above comments on awkwardness.)
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »
Where at?

WTF, is that english?

William,

If you're taking exception to a dangling preposition on a website about golf, I'd have thought you'd be equally fastidious about the word "English" being given its capital letter.

Those in glass houses...

Duck!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 04:03:08 PM »
How's this for a Rota?

NGLA - classic

Sebonack - modern

Shinnecock - classic

Friars Head - modern

CBM, Doak, Flynn, C&C not bad eh?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Lester George

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 06:47:29 PM »

Ballyhack...in the wind!

Lester

William_G

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »
hahaha

Match play can be played at any bowling alley as you are just trying to beat your opponent each and every time.

One course or another will favor one player or the other, unless you are a teenage Tiger.

I always enjoy watching a beautiful setting with great architecture, anywhere like that, but not a desert course ((current) except maybe Whisper Rock) or a ravine course (past).

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back