News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Kinney

Where would you like to see the World Match Play at?
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:23:12 PM »
In honor of my favorite non-major or Ryder Cup day in golf...

Would love to see the WGC Match Play moved every year like the majors, or atleast have some sort of rotation.  If logistics (time of year, location, etc) were of no consequence, where would you like to see the event at??

While there would be many fantastic places to host this event, the first two that popped into my head were Augusta Natl. and TOC.

JESII

Re: Where would you like to see the World Match Play at?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 01:25:58 PM »
TOC or New South Wales for me.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 01:29:57 PM »

It must be Prestwick, North Berwick, Musselburgh and of course TOC. You can keep Castle Stuart, Eden and many of the rest.

Melvyn

Scott Szabo

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »
Ballyneal is a fantastic match play course.  I would love to see it there.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

JNC Lyon

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
If the routing of the holes close to the clubhouse were not so cramped, Prestwick would be a great choice.  As I've said here before, that is a hell of a hard golf course, and I can only imagine the drama that would ensue on the final few holes.  Imagine Phil Mickelson trying some different shots around those greens.  I think it would be a cool venue, but it's totally unrealistic.

Why not move the Match Play each year?  I like the Dove Mountain course, but it would be good to the tournament at different venues worldwide.  Since most of the top players now are Europeans, the tournament would have no trouble attracting top talent if it were in Australia, South Africa, or Britain.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Matthew Sander

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »
JNC,

I would also like to see the event move around the world. There has always been the fear that moving the matchplay around the world would keep U.S. PGA pros home. That fear was realized when it was played in Australia at Metropolitan. As you said though, that was a time when a larger percentage of the top 64 players were Americans or at least PGA Tour members. With the number of players from elsewhere ranked so highly (a significant number of which don't play the PGA Tour), the fear of U.S. players not participating isn't as significant. If it did move around the world it would probably need a floating date which may also increase participation. However, with the schedule consolidated due to the FedEx Cup/Race to Dubai, there wouldn't seem to be many ideal options.

Steve Kline

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 02:23:33 PM »
Ballyneal is a fantastic match play course.  I would love to see it there.

How cool would it be to see it there with the previous hole winner determining where to tee off from? First tee determined either by coin flip or higher seed. That would really add some excitement and interesting dynamics.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 04:55:41 PM »
Cal Club in SF or SFCC or Olympic
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 05:06:07 PM »
Cal Club in SF or SFCC or Olympic

Tim -

Are you picking those courses because you could watch them play?  Or because the would be interesting match play courses?  I'll assume the former ... winning a hole with a par ain't much fun to watch ...

If exciting, risk/reward match play golf is the objective, then Lincoln Park is the obvious answer.

Mike
"... and I liked the guy ..."

David_Elvins

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »
Royal Melbourne Composite

Friars Head

St Andrews

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

William_G

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »
Where at?

WTF, is that English?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:52:24 PM by William Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

Gary Slatter

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 06:11:28 PM »
Sunningdale New
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 07:06:33 PM »
Where at?

WTF, is that english?

William,

If you're taking exception to a dangling preposition on a website about golf, I'd have thought you'd be equally fastidious about the word "English" being given its capital letter.

Those in glass houses...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:08:36 PM by Scott Warren »

J Sadowsky

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »
Engineers, Oakmont, and Kinloch (assuming the last could be set up so that there was not a "dictated" course of play and actually utilized the course's multiple options).

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 08:31:49 PM »
ANGC.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

DMoriarty

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 08:52:47 PM »
Where at?

WTF, is that english?

William,

If you're taking exception to a dangling preposition on a website about golf, I'd have thought you'd be equally fastidious about the word "English" being given its capital letter.

Those in glass houses...

Reminds me of the joke where a new kid at Harvard stopped an upperclassman in the yard and asked, "Excuse me, where is the library at?"   The upperclassman sternly answered, "At Harvard we don't end our sentences in prepositions."   The kid said, "Sorry.  Where is the library at, you asshole." 

NGLA or TOC.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 09:53:13 PM »

Cruden Bay

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 09:54:12 PM »
Where at?

WTF, is that english?

Go take a walk

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 11:12:59 PM »
Augusta National GC is the best match play course I have ever seen.

William_G

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 11:50:16 PM »
Where at?

WTF, is that english?

William,

Those in glass houses...

Reminds me of the joke where a new kid at Harvard stopped an upperclassman in the yard and asked, "Excuse me, where is the library at?"   The upperclassman sternly answered, "At Harvard we don't end our sentences in prepositions."   The kid said, "Sorry.  Where is the library at, you asshole." 

That's why I chose not go to Harvard.
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 11:51:58 PM »
Where at?

WTF, is that english?

William,

Those in glass houses...

I stand corrected, thanks. Still....???
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 12:06:56 AM »
I'm just not into dangling prepositions. Sounds so uneducated. Thanks
It's all about the golf!

J Sadowsky

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 09:07:18 AM »
Where at?

WTF, is that english?

William,

Those in glass houses...

Don't like being called an asshole? ;)

William_G

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 09:12:57 AM »
Where at?

WTF, is that english?

William,

Those in glass houses...

Don't like being called an asshole? ;)

hahahaha, don't like being an asshole :)
It's all about the golf!

Mark Woodger

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 09:16:02 AM »
Deal. Perfect weather this time of year too!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back