News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Small world experiences
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:46:55 AM »
It used to be said you couldn't walk down The Strand in central London wearing a Royal Cinque Ports tie without being stopped by a fellow member.

This past Sunday a fellow GCA/Deal member on a 7 hour stopover in Sydney nipped over to Bonny Doon for 9 holes and spotted at Royal Cinque Ports golf bag, he later realised it must belong to a certain Scott Warren also of GCA/Deal.

On my first trip to Pine Valley I was playing three groups ahead of a fellow Deal member who was in a different party. Any other similar experiences?
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Smolens

Re: Small world experiences
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 12:23:07 PM »
Tho I've written this before, two Octobers ago I was on the bus going to the range at Bandon. A guy across the aisle notices my GCA carry bag and says, "that's a silly looking golf bag". . . Ben Dewar (who I'd never met before).

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:38:31 PM »
A couple of years after I left the South East I was playing at Ganton (with Giles Payne of this parish and Conrad Gamble of his own planet).  As we arrived in the car park, I saw a lovely old Jaguar XK 150, which I commented, was just like one driven by a member of my former club, Chorleywood.  At lunch, it transpired it was indeed the same car, driven by said member.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:49:06 PM »
I ran into Adam Clayman at Ballyneal, I wanted to play with him, but I had a game arranged with the designer.
I'm confident that we will eventually play together.

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 01:51:41 PM »
Not at all golf related but about 20 odd years ago I was backpacking round the world for a year and about a couple of months into the trip I was walking down a street in Boston and was walking up behind an older couple. From behind they looked like my mothers cousin and his wife, and indeed when they truned round that who it was, over in Boston on holiday. I'll never forget his reaction, when he turned round and saw me he said "oh hello Niall, yes, your mother said you were in America". He didn't seem to be fazed by it at all. Thats the older generation I guess.

Niall

Simon Holt

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 05:25:48 PM »
I was playing a shotgun foresome event at Royal Troon.  On the bus out to the 9th tee the guys sat beside me, who I had never met before, noticed my University of St. Andrews jumper.

They told my playing partner and I that the last time they were on the New course (1 year before that day) they had witnessed a university match tee off with one young chap wearing his tuxedo from a ball the night before.  Said young man was my flatmate, and my playing partner that day at Troon sat next to me in the bus!

We all had a good laugh.

I also had one of those golden moments recently in Paris at the France v Scotland rugby game.  The gent next to me in a bar was trying to impress a group of guys that he had just met by saying he was a member at a certain course I work at.  Needless to say he is not...I didn't say anything to embarrass him as it is not my style but my friends were begging me to.  You never know who is listening!  Or in our case, reading.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Steve Okula

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 05:49:42 PM »
This stuff  happens all the time.

In October 2010, I visited a course in Tunisia, Citrus Golf Club, and met the general manager there. Three months later, in the picturesque coastal town of Honfleur France, I bump into the guy at a kiddie ride as we're both there with our families.

Way back when, I was a GCS in western NC, I had a former mechanic of mine from Florida come up to give instruction to my new, young mechanic on reel grinding at my NC course. I took the old guy out for a beer one night, where he and the bartender recognized each other because they had done time together at the Lantana penetentiary. What are the odds? 
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 06:05:57 PM »
I ran into Adam Clayman at Ballyneal, I wanted to play with him, but I had a game arranged with the designer.
I'm confident that we will eventually play together.

Actually Ian, running into me at Ballyneal is not that hard to do. :) Although this year, it will be nearly impossible. Bi-lateral hip replacement. Hopefully we will tee it up at Highlands in 2012 and have ocean views on nearly every hole.

On a return trip to Lawsonia one year, a few back, Dick Daley and I were matched with fellow GCA'r Cory Lewis, rather serendipitously.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:20:34 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Philippe Binette

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 06:10:54 PM »
While waiting for somebody to pick me up at the North Platte Airport to go work at the Prairie Club...

I ran into Ben Crenshaw, who I'd never met before. I introduced myself as having worked with Rod Whitman and we spend a good 15 minutes talking about The Open Championship, Muirfield but mostly about North Berwick West Links

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 06:28:56 PM »
A small world situation of sorts, perhaps: At Crowbush Cove in PEI, I was paired as a single with two players named Guy and Jean-Guy. Their names are French; I pronounce it the English way. Either an amazing coincidence or a pro shop with a sense of humour.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 06:31:48 PM »
I recently found myself in Thailand...

sorry the rest is inappropriate and unfair to Dr. Gray.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 06:33:33 PM »
Guy Nicholson:

was it Guy Lafleur  ????

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 06:35:41 PM »
I knew that golf bag would come in handy eventually. Not quite pulling chicks, but a fellow RCP member is a start.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 06:51:11 PM »
Many, many moons ago, a smallpox vacinator came to my village in Ethiopia. I invited him to dinner. Two years later, while touring on my way back stateside, a buddy and I made a wrong turn, got lost, and were walking past a college in London, upon which a chap charged out of a pub and said, "didn't I have dinner with you two years ago?". Said chap was the vacinator who was then a medical student at the college in London.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Duncan Betts

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 07:43:33 PM »
I was playing cricket in England in 2001, and while I was fortunate enough to have a game at Swinley Forest I heard a rather broad Australian accent in the clubhouse at lunch (this particular gentleman was wearing a hideous blazer about 2 sizes too small!).

Turned out to be one Andrew Thomson, also from Brisbane and a former foe on the cricket fields in high school and also in the country studying and playing cricket, incredibly small world we live in!

I haven't actually spoken to him since then, nor seen him, but was surprised to discover he also visits GCA when I joined a couple of years back.  At the time, I certainly hadn't discovered this site, and I don't believe he had either.

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 08:01:37 PM »
I bombed around India and Nepal for about 9 months with my future wife (Julia) about 22 years ago.  While in Udaipur Julia met one of her Aussie cousins walking down the street.  It was very freaky.  Of course, we bumped into him much later down in Kerala and in what was Bombay. 

Very oddly, we bumped into our neighbours in Rome and to top it off we were on the same plane (though we didn't now it). 

More locally, I bumped into Gareth Williams at Camberely Heath a year or so ago. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Sev K-H Keil

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 01:11:14 AM »
Dear Mark:

The great stories here imply an answer the question posed in another recent thread: "Why would one want a logo of your golf club on one's bag or shirt" --- particularly, the more discreet member logo can make for a excellent conversation starter in a small world...

Unfortunately, at 30 Celsius Sydney is too hot these days to wear a club tie!

Shane Wright

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 12:39:29 PM »
Two stories –

1.   St. Andrew’s 2001 – my first trip across the pond.  We are having dinner in a bar about a knock down wedge from TOC 1st tee.  We had an Old Course tee time the next morning.  It would be our first and only time (so far) playing TOC and we were beside ourselves with excitement.  But we were carrying very heavy hearts as it was 12 days after 9/11.  We showed up in St. Andrew’s without a place to stay, walked into the Old Course hotel asking for a room.  The woman at the desk smiled when she saw our ragged faces and said, “I have just the room for you.”  I had no idea what she meant, but the room ended up being on the Road Hole tee box.  We were awakened the next morning (long night in the pubs) to the sound of tee balls on the 17th.  Now, back to dinner the night before….we sit down to our table, order our pints and meals and a man sits down at the bar next to us.  We look over and it is Prince William.  My best friend, and complete redneck, sits down next to him and says, “Heya Prince, can I buy you a drink……”  They go on to talk for several minutes about the 9/11 attacks.  I still have a hard time believing it.

2.   2005 – Traveled to Orlando with my wife for her work.  While she worked, I enjoyed 3 days of golf at the resort.  On the second day, I matched up with an Irish lad who was quite the stick and a blast to play with.  We played again the next day. 
2006 – Traveled to NYC to play Bethpage.  For the sake of doing it once, we stayed in our cars showing up about 1 in the morning and barely getting in line in time to get our tee time that day.  As we are standing around the clubhouse early in the morning waiting for our numbers to be called – here comes the IRISH LAD walking by me attempting the same thing.  He looked at me and we just started laughing.
2006 – NEXT DAY – My friends and I decided to spend a day exploring NYC.  We travel to the 9/11 site, then to Wall Street.  As we are grabbing a bite to eat near Wall Street – bam – IRISH LAD walks by us.  Are you kidding me?
2007 – I fly to Chicago to caddy for my old college roommate who had qualified for the US Publinks at Cantigny.  After awhile on the range, we head over to the practice green.  He is hitting putts near the practice bunker.  I look in the practice bunker, and who is it – THE IRISH LAD.  He thought he had seen a ghost when he saw me.  He made quite the headlines that week as his wife had a baby 2 days before the tourney and he was able to make it to the tourney anyways.

I haven’t run into him again since, but I have no doubt I will eventually.

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »
Guy Nicholson:

was it Guy Lafleur  ????

Sorry Philippe, my score was the only car crash that day. ;)

Mark McKeever

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 04:33:57 PM »
I ran into Cirba at a burrito joint in Allentown a few months back.  Does that count??

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tim Martin

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 04:53:15 PM »
Two stories –

1.   St. Andrew’s 2001 – my first trip across the pond.  We are having dinner in a bar about a knock down wedge from TOC 1st tee.  We had an Old Course tee time the next morning.  It would be our first and only time (so far) playing TOC and we were beside ourselves with excitement.  But we were carrying very heavy hearts as it was 12 days after 9/11.  We showed up in St. Andrew’s without a place to stay, walked into the Old Course hotel asking for a room.  The woman at the desk smiled when she saw our ragged faces and said, “I have just the room for you.”  I had no idea what she meant, but the room ended up being on the Road Hole tee box.  We were awakened the next morning (long night in the pubs) to the sound of tee balls on the 17th.  Now, back to dinner the night before….we sit down to our table, order our pints and meals and a man sits down at the bar next to us.  We look over and it is Prince William.  My best friend, and complete redneck, sits down next to him and says, “Heya Prince, can I buy you a drink……”  They go on to talk for several minutes about the 9/11 attacks.  I still have a hard time believing it.

2.   2005 – Traveled to Orlando with my wife for her work.  While she worked, I enjoyed 3 days of golf at the resort.  On the second day, I matched up with an Irish lad who was quite the stick and a blast to play with.  We played again the next day.  
2006 – Traveled to NYC to play Bethpage.  For the sake of doing it once, we stayed in our cars showing up about 1 in the morning and barely getting in line in time to get our tee time that day.  As we are standing around the clubhouse early in the morning waiting for our numbers to be called – here comes the IRISH LAD walking by me attempting the same thing.  He looked at me and we just started laughing.
2006 – NEXT DAY – My friends and I decided to spend a day exploring NYC.  We travel to the 9/11 site, then to Wall Street.  As we are grabbing a bite to eat near Wall Street – bam – IRISH LAD walks by us.  Are you kidding me?
2007 – I fly to Chicago to caddy for my old college roommate who had qualified for the US Publinks at Cantigny.  After awhile on the range, we head over to the practice green.  He is hitting putts near the practice bunker.  I look in the practice bunker, and who is it – THE IRISH LAD.  He thought he had seen a ghost when he saw me.  He made quite the headlines that week as his wife had a baby 2 days before the tourney and he was able to make it to the tourney anyways.

I haven’t run into him again since, but I have no doubt I will eventually.

Shane-Are you sure your not being tailed?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:02:03 PM by Tim Martin »

George Pazin

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »
Had one myself last fall. I was visiting a friend in NJ and he was kind enough to host me at his club, the amazingly wonderful Mountain Ridge. As we were sitting relaxing having a quick bite before the round, who should happen to walk out but one Patrick Mucci. Pat was even kind enough to join us on the 8th fairway and then our walk up the 9th, giving one of my other friends a much needed chipping lesson at the back of the 9th green.

I wish that each person who has been cross examined in color by Pat would have a chance to talk with him in a golf setting. I think he would have a completely different read of all that technicolor prose.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 05:12:11 PM »
Shane - the Irish lad was the worse surveillance operative and has now been fired.

Scott - Sev may not be a "chick' but he is a fine looking man!
Cave Nil Vino

Shane Wright

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 05:32:19 PM »
Tim/Mark - I feel sorry for the boredom caused to anyone tailing me. 

Duncan Betts

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 07:01:02 PM »
I was playing cricket in England in 2001, and while I was fortunate enough to have a game at Swinley Forest I heard a rather broad Australian accent in the clubhouse at lunch (this particular gentleman was wearing a hideous blazer about 2 sizes too small!).

Turned out to be one Andrew Thomson, also from Brisbane and a former foe on the cricket fields in high school and also in the country studying and playing cricket, incredibly small world we live in!

I haven't actually spoken to him since then, nor seen him, but was surprised to discover he also visits GCA when I joined a couple of years back.  At the time, I certainly hadn't discovered this site, and I don't believe he had either.

Incredible.  I just walked down the main street of Brisbane and who was standing there at the lights chatting to a mutual friend?

His clothes seemed to fit a little better these days.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back