News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Pasquale

Cambridge, England
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:44:40 PM »
Will be in Cambridge for a few days in September and looking for some suggestions on where to play.  So far my google searches haven't led to anything interesting.  Any help is appreciated!

Scott Warren

Re: Cambridge, England
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:52:09 PM »
Worlington & Newmarket! http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/england/rwn

Royal West Norkfolk, Hunstanton, Wodhall Spa are all doable if you don't mind a moderate drive. Probably plenty of James Boon's beloeved Midlands gems, too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:54:27 PM by Scott Warren »

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 03:29:07 AM »
Frank,

As Scott has already suggested, you need to head for Royal Worlington and Newmarket. Its about 30 mins drive from Cambridge. The University golf team play there, Colt mad amendments to the course and Darwin loved it. When I played last year I virtually had the course to myself, greeted by name by the steward, breakfast beside a log fire, a swift nine in the rain, another in much better weather, then lunch with a couple of plus four clad old boys over claret while their dogs waited patiently outside. If you are only playing one course in the area, this is the one:
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43169.msg931454.html#msg931454

After that, though London isn't too far away, most of the capitals better courses are to the south and west so, again as Scott suggests, heading North is the best bet. An hours drive north will bring you to Luffenham Heath:
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42028.0.html

If you fancy links golf, both Hunstanton and Royal West Norfolk (Brancaster) are just over an hour and a half away. If you make the journey 2 hours long then that brings the following into consideration: Woodhall Spa, Notts (Hollinwell), Beau Desert. If you fancy either of the last two, I'd happily join you at Beau (as would Sean Arble I expect) or I'd happily host you at Notts, if we could get diaries to work. But much as I'm happy to promote golf in the Midlands, I still think RW&N is your best bet!

But by the time you are driving 2 hours, you also bring the likes of Huntercombe into the eqasion as well as a lot of the london heathland courses, but with the caveat that any journey around the M25 can tale much longer than expected, so is probably best avoided.

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 04:55:50 AM »
Frank,

Cambridge has Royston (where the university play at as well as Royal Worlington) and Gog Magog a wonderful 36 hole course - the Old being modified by Willie Park jr, James Braid etc and the Wandlebury a strong Hawtree course used as a local qualifying course for the Open.

If you went around a hour East there is Ipswich (Purdis Heath) Aldeburgh, Thorpeness and Southwold (a unusal 9 holer)

I am 5 miles away from Luffenham Heath and there is also Rutland Water the course I designed.

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:52:39 PM by Ben Stephens »

Jamie Barber

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:24:36 AM »
I lived in Cambs for 5 years. The Gogs is good for a day out and easy by taxi.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 05:41:41 AM »
Ben,

When did Alwoodley move to Suffolk?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 01:20:17 PM »
Kings Lynn is recommend and Purdis Heath highly so.
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Stephens

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 01:53:26 PM »
Ben,

When did Alwoodley move to Suffolk?

Had a 'canary' moment! its Aldeburgh - and I have recorrected it on original post.
Cheers for letting me know

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 06:24:48 PM »
Of course if you are in Suffolk you are in the neighbourhood of one M. Hunter Morrow and to meet the great man must surely be a priority higher than a mere game of golf, if only to prove to us all that he does indeed exist! ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back