News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Johnston

Re: Who is golf's next visionary?
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 10:22:09 AM »
Golf is full of visionaries and that is a good thing.  There are dozens if not hundreds - some will succeed/some will not.  Anyone owning/running a course these days had better be one.  Anyone in the architecture/design business better be one.  Many here who simply play the game and opine strike me as visionaries and, as an owner, I read and pay close attention.

Tom Doak describes Mr Han as a visionary and that may well be true.  As important, for Tom to recognize this may make him visionary as well.  Opportunity passes by us all the time - the visionary may recognize opportunity when others don't.  Those who can make golf fun for their niche can be a visionary, be it clubs, balls, courses, clothing, spirit and soul, etc.  Those who strictly adhere to the foundations of the game can also be visionaries.  Those who are making golf more affordable may be visionaries.  Those who are using less resources are as well.  There won't be any one size fits all and there is no single definition of fun or success.  Tom is right, visionaries are often judged on what they did, not on what they are doing.  Or, is Donald Trump a visionary?  Hmmm.

Golf is a big tent.  It had better be.  We could well see signinficant changes out of this mess and it may be years before we realize the results.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 07:51:56 PM »
The true visionary is the person that can look past the dominant paradigms to see things in a different way and then work to improve what they see for all.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »
I would vie for a player — someone in the limelight beyond our "little world" — but, I have yet to know who that is.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 10:05:30 AM »
Ian, if salty water is the problem, paspalum could be the solution.
Very salt-tolerant and a good playing surface. Have you looked into it?

Bill,

It's a Southern Grass - we need the Northern equivilent.

Paspalum won't survive frozen winters?  Bummer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back