News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

Missing Links UK
« on: February 18, 2011, 06:04:51 AM »
I was looking over Mark's IMO piece and wondered if it would be possible to write a book similar to Daniel Wexler's, I guess the question is would there be enough lost courses of quality to fill a volume. And if there would be which courses would be included?

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Missing Links UK
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 06:08:58 AM »

Tom

Yes and some more , many by some of the Greats

Melvyn

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 06:41:42 AM »
I was looking over Mark's IMO piece and wondered if it would be possible to write a book similar to Daniel Wexler's, I guess the question is would there be enough lost courses of quality to fill a volume. And if there would be which courses would be included?

Tom,

This has occupied my thoughts for a while. As you state, there is obviously the quantity. It's the quality that may present the problem.

What courses were thought of on equal footing with their first and second tier piers?... And is there enough documentary evidence to be sure?

First couple that come to mind:

Addington New
Archerfield (original course)

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 06:59:32 AM »
Its a fascianting subject. There seems very little in the way of photography of lost golf courses. Old plans and good information seems so thin on the ground. I dont know if there is enough for a book, but if it was a bit thin major changes to courses could be included perhaps.

Old scorecards of lost ones toocould be interesting, but I dont have many though to help.

The problem is some of these golf courses got lost 100 years ago and theres no one to remember them. There is a cluster of 1939s that got lost too, people vaguely remember so little. I am 50 and I can remember things from say 1974 as holes were in my area, but many of my friends the same age dont recall anything of them at all.

My memory is bad if I have to learn about car engines. I guess its just not interesting to many, which poses the question would anyone buy the book.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:25:23 AM »
Two more of note
Pinces
 Bembridge

Also what do we actually now about the course at St Andrews that played out and back down one narrow corridor with the same flags in use twice?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 07:48:08 AM »

To my surprise there is a great deal of information out there just waiting to be uncovered.

Last year I contacted a couple of dozen town/village historical Societies, same small in the number of members but rich in information if you just push them in the right direction. Many of these Societies did not realise that their village/town had a golf course, but once informed they came back with photos of the Opening Days,  found the site of the old course and walked it to see what was left, alas many are now just fields with some covered over by homes.

Without checking my records, but remembering what I passed onto Mark I recall Denholm GC  - their Village Newsletter http://www.denholmvillage.co.uk/20thcentury.html. The result of the photo was my enquiry about their golf course. Denholm is not far from Hawick. Then we have Collieston near Cruden Bay site located  just outside the village. I am pleased to say that we have also found the location of another few, again the names that jump out are Kelvinside GC Glasgow (with great help from Niall) and Islay course Uisguintuie GC, Port Erroll at Cruden Bay,  Lord Leitrim private 9 holes course some miles from  Rosapenna, the site of St Leonards Girl School and Broughty Ferry Ladies Course Barnhill Dundee. Currently looking for Dornock (Crieff) GC near Crieff and Crawford GC although the site is known to the locals. The actual site of the first course for Douglas GC on the Isle of Man  is known to within a mile or so which was abandon in 1911 when the club moved. It has now returned many years ago to within a mile or so of its original site.

My lists are not all OTM courses, as during my search I have kept a list and information on any new course mentioned at that time. With the help of Niall and one or two others I have been able to obtain the initial sketch layouts of some plus as I have mentioned photos from locals.

Not only is it fun finding old closed and lost courses, when I have tried to find out more the help generated by the local community has always been more than excellent , generating great satisfaction  when you see that they have printed the finds and asked for old photos from their community.  Better than any eagle, although I have never had a Hole in One.

Melvyn

Tom MacWood

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 07:59:24 AM »
I know about Addington-New, Archerfield and Princes, but what is the story about Bembridge?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back