News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

Re: Trump National could pinch hit for a U.S. Open
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 12:12:04 PM »
Jim,

It was another Steve Young who shot the lowest round ever recorded on the Black, a 62 on May 11,1961. So this thread is definitely going in some unique directions... :)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
I'm shocked at the notion that the USGA does not already have a full-blown contingency plan.

JMEvensky

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »

I'm shocked at the notion that the USGA does not already have a full-blown contingency plan.

Same here.I just always assumed they had a Plan B for every tournament.

And Phil,thanks for the inside baseball.

George Pazin

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 01:03:42 PM »
They did say in the article they discuss this every year, so it seems like maybe this is only bringing it to light.

Kinda shocking that it would be brought up while Trump is in the limelight, no?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 03:17:34 PM »
In a bizarre way, I almost wish the US Open would be forced to go to a less prepared course, if only to show the USGA it isn't necessary to modify a course to host the Open.

Oakmont wouldn't have any problems from a golf perspective, can't speak to the logistical stuff. I'd imagine #2 wouldn't need a whole lot of work to prepare.

Perhaps a superintendent could speak to the difficulties associated with putting on a big time event and enlighten us.

No George, if the course wasn't modified in the usual manner you might get a winner like Andy North, Lou Graham, or Andy North.

None of these courses need modification-the guy that shoots the lowest wins-every year.

It would be MORE interesting to see how the pros played a Shinnecock with the fairways at the member widths-where thought AND accuracy was important-particularly in the wind.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:21:37 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 07:50:37 PM »
Are we thinking that June is too early for Chambers Bay in a bad year?

Brad I

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 08:21:05 PM »
Brad,

That's a smart tactical move on Donald's part.

Pat:  I'm not so sure about that.  My first reaction was that The Donald's acceptance of a back-up, contingency role was a tacit admission that his course isn't the greatest course on the planet, as he has stated so many times.  

Except is wasn't his acceptance as a back up role, it was his offer as a contingency, and, it makes sense in terms of logistics.

He did the same thing for the Wollman Rink, he made an offer to the City of New York, who couldn't get the rink built in about a decade, and he did it in short order.  Now, I'll grant you, it wasn't in as short an order as CBM did at NGLA and Merion, but, by modern standards, given the politics, he got it done in short order.
[/b]

Great actors don't take understudy roles.  Great quarterbacks don't agree to be second string.  

But, opportunists take advantage of openings, and I think it's a great tactic.
Logistically, it makes sense, especially to the USGA and the nearby New York media market.
[/b]

So, if he really believed he had the greatest course on the planet, why would he accept what is essentially a role of just-in-case understudy?

Because NOBODY has asked him to play second fiddle, he's suggesting that the USGA consider it as a viable option just in case.
Now, let me tell you what I really think.
I think people will analyze the ability of TNB to hold a U.S. Open.... successfully.
And, I think, forgetting about the golf course for a second, that the answer will be, "Yep, TNB can hold an Open and they can do it on short notice.
That puts a bee in everybody's bonnet.
It plants the seed, "hey, maybe we don't need a calamity, maybe TNB can host an Open under normal circumstances."
Donald Trump is smart, shrewd and driven.  Don't put anything beyond him.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
[/b]

The logical conclusion is that either he never believed his boasts (and what does that say about him?) or that he still believes his course is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but that he was willing to settle for having it play second fiddle anyway (in which case, he's diluted his "everything Trump is #1 or nothing/I never settle for second best" branding machismo).  

Nah, you got it all wrong, good olde Donald is way ahead of you.
[/b]

Either way, I don't see how it's good for the Trump brand...at least to the extent there is such a thing...

Reread what I posted, think about it, and let me know if you still feel the way you do
[/b]

(Of course, Trump being Trump, he's going to spin this into "I have the only course in the world that the finest minds in golf - the USGA - has officially determined is great enough to hold the US Open EVERY YEAR!" )

Don't underestimate him
[/b]

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 08:30:23 PM »
Pat,

Why do you have to make so much sense on this one? There's nothing to argue with you over...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »
Pat,

Why do you have to make so much sense on this one? There's nothing to argue with you over...

Maybe it's because the anesthesia hasn't worn off yet (;;)

Anton

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 10:36:55 PM »
Didnt Trump prepare his 'New' Course at Bedminster for a USGA event?  I seem to remember reading about him consulting on the design with the USGA course set-up staff.  He built access roads and laid power lines in position for corporate tents and what not.  I would think the Old Course would be the better fit but if my memory is right, The New was the target for an Open. 
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

hick

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 11:38:24 PM »
If this was the case , then why would we have the U.S. Open. The NFL did not play the first week after 9/11/ 2001. Maybe they should have the U.S. Open before the Super Bowl ,at the Meadowlands. why would the USGA have only one state and course for a back up plan. Sounds a little shady.

hick

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 11:52:18 PM »
Bruce, The Super Bowl does not have a backup site, as they may have wanted to use it this year. The peeps at the USGA think to much or maybe not enough.

what happens to all the tickets that the USGA has sold for a venue thousands of miles away.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:09:27 AM by Mat Hickey »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2011, 06:00:39 AM »

If this was the case , then why would we have the U.S. Open.

The NFL did not play the first week after 9/11/ 2001.

Gee, I wonder, could that have anything to do with the fact that the entirety of the United States Airspace was shut down ?  ?  ?
Week 2 games were scheduled for 09-16-01
[/b]

Maybe they should have the U.S. Open before the Super Bowl ,at the Meadowlands. why would the USGA have only one state and course for a back up plan.

Obviously, you know nothing about what's involved in preparing a facility for a U.S. Open, nor do you appear to know anything about how clubs prepare for a U.S. Open, years and years in advance.  This is no casual undertaking.  The choice of a facility, where ONE man calls the shots and can get things done, post haste, is critical.  No need to campaign and take a membership and board vote,  Donald Trump will handle it and he'll handle it well.
[/b]

Sounds a little shady.

Only if you're totally uninformed.(;;)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2011, 06:10:03 AM »

Didnt Trump prepare his 'New' Course at Bedminster for a USGA event?  I seem to remember reading about him consulting on the design with the USGA course set-up staff.  He built access roads and laid power lines in position for corporate tents and what not. 

Tony,

You may be right.
Others more familiar with the club's infrastructure could answer your questions.
He did host the Boys and Girls Junior Amateurs for the USGA.
I-78 runs E-W adjacent to his course and I-287 which is very close runs N-S, so highway access would seem adequate.
[/b]

I would think the Old Course would be the better fit but if my memory is right,
The New was the target for an Open.

It's also possible, albeit unlikely, that a composite course could be used.

In a calamatous event should occur, I would think that the golf course would be the least important issue.
The ability to provide continuity in our events and lives would be the most important social issue.
Playing the Open, going on with our lives, rather than shrinking from the threat, would seem to be in our best interest.
Although, with a nuke, hosting a golf tournament would be one of the last items on our priority list.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2011, 06:30:10 AM »

Although, with a nuke, hosting a golf tournament would be one of the last items on our priority list.

Patrick,

Thanks for the Saturday morning picker upper !!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2011, 10:25:35 AM »
Pat:

Agree with your comment about putting a bee on a bonnet -- aka The Donald.

It is a shrewd move no doubt but if someone were to look at a number of the facilities he does own there are several that are quite good -- Trump National in NJ is first rate in plenty of ways and has the wherewithal to host a US Open and being located in a major metro area such as NY / NJ does have a big time advantage.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2011, 10:29:19 AM »
Matt,

How about its proximity to USGA Headquarters ?

Mike Sweeney,

Now that you're up, see the movie "Iranium" but, have a light lunch or dinner afterwards.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2011, 10:33:18 AM »
Pat:

The shrewd move by The Donald is that he knows Baltusrol is no longer a US Open priority -- the folks in Springfield have made their bed with the PGA of America.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2011, 11:43:28 AM »
Its a good move by DT. If it is good enough for a plan B it is good enough for the event.
Perhaps more important, it is an example of DT doing right by the USGA.  Far easier for a future president or executive director to sell the notion of a Trump open.

Isn't the more likely scenario for exercising Plan B an agronomic disaster at the host site?

hick

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2011, 11:47:49 AM »
Pat, as a patriots season ticket holder i was at the Patriots game on 9/16.  Tell me why the USGA would need to have a backup course . Come up to Newport for a round this summer.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2011, 11:58:51 AM »
Agronomic Disaster?

Tim Martin

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2011, 12:01:20 PM »
Its a good move by DT. If it is good enough for a plan B it is good enough for the event.
Perhaps more important, it is an example of DT doing right by the USGA.  Far easier for a future president or executive director to sell the notion of a Trump open.

Isn't the more likely scenario for exercising Plan B an agronomic disaster at the host site?

Rory- If Trump want`s to be a player on the bigger stage tournament wise then it surely goes a long way to ingratiate himself and his courses with the USGA.  

hick

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2011, 03:30:55 PM »
I would agree moving the open for a agro disaster.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2011, 04:56:25 PM »

Pat, as a patriots season ticket holder i was at the Patriots game on 9/16.

Mat, first you tell us, in reply # 37, that the NFL cancelled the games after 09-11-01,[/color

The NFL did not play the first week after 9/11/ 2001
[/i]

Now you claim that you were at an NFL game on 09-16-01.
You can't have it both ways, which was it ?
[/b]

Tell me why the USGA would need to have a backup course .

The easiest example is to cite what happened at Southern Hills years ago.
Someone poured a mixture of either gasoline or kerosene and powdered charcoal over the greens, making them unfit for play.
Should that happen a few weeks prior to the Open, the availability of a alternate course, able to marshall its resources quickly, would save the day.
[/b]

Come up to Newport for a round this summer.

Newport is one of my favorite courses and the 5th hole one of my all time, architecturally favorite holes in golf.
The strategy presented is simply brilliant.
Years ago I initiated a thread on the 5th hole.

I'm hoping to visit Newport this Spring and/or Summer.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2011, 11:52:56 PM »
Interesting time to announce this, is everything going okay at Congressional?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back