News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Admitting Mistakes Semi - OT
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:04:25 AM »
Back in the Halcyon days, prior to gca.coms first mention in a national sports magazine, (Archives unavailable as far as I know) one of the ethos was discovering where developers, architects and even people's opinions, were mis-imformed, leading to many mistakes made in the arena of golf course development and architecture.

The following link has zero to do with golf, but, has everything to do with hindsight and the honest intellectual admission of wrong doing.

Warning; The following piece is extremely long in viewing, but is equally thought provoking on many levels and subjects.

My hope is we all become better informed and eventually look within ourselves and our knowledge to see how easy it is to be wrong.

http://networkawesome.com/show/doc-the-fog-of-war/
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim Martin

Re: Admitting Mistakes Semi - OT
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
Adam-I did not find the piece overly long and on the contrary was mesmerized by it`s content. McNamara says that war and international diplomacy are certainly not an exact science and was very candid in some of his comments regarding very real mistakes he felt he had made during his tenure as Secretary of Defense. There is an awful lot that goes on behind the scenes in golf course architecture and development that does not always reveal itself to the armchair quarterback. Decisions are made due to impasses between the client and archie, unforeseen agronomic issues, financing,environmental constraints etc. Honest and reasoned criticism which occasionally results in the words "I made a mistake" only leads us in a positive direction in all pursuits. Golf course architecture is certainly not a science and mistakes admitted to will only be a positive.  
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 02:16:48 PM by Tim Martin »

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 12:51:55 PM »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 05:26:38 PM »
Evan,

Can you believe the man pictured on the cover story was once a hell of a surfer ?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 05:52:12 PM »
Heck - I make mistakes all the time - we all do.  The secret is to learn from them.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:52:07 AM »

I'm not getting married again.I think.

Anthony

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »
Adam,

I'll openly point them out to friends, even if they don't always agree wiith my assesment.
I generally find my regrets were borne of either inexperience (I began in my very early 20's) or past compromise.

I joke with friends that there was pre St. George's (2002) and post St. George's in my career.
That project gave me the confidence and the track record to be much more firm with my decisions.

I still can find fault with my work (it's in my nature so I always will), but its now in the smaller details and not in the decisions.
Much of that stems from the ability to look back and admit mistakes along the way.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 07:42:10 PM »
Adam,

I'll openly point them out to friends, even if they don't always agree wiith my assesment.
I generally find my regrets were borne of either inexperience (I began in my very early 20's) or past compromise.

I joke with friends that there was pre St. George's (2002) and post St. George's in my career.
That project gave me the confidence and the track record to be much more firm with my decisions.

I still can find fault with my work (it's in my nature so I always will), but its now in the smaller details and not in the decisions.
Much of that stems from the ability to look back and admit mistakes along the way.
Ian-Very refreshing commentary that would bode well for those in a variety of professions.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:24:44 PM »
I would think most mistakes are made by committee decision, even if it's a one man show. So to speak. Also, because GCA is such a subjective beast. Getting someone to change an opinion is doubly difficult. Thanks Ian for the candor.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 08:00:28 AM »
The documentary cut off when McN became President of Ford.  Does it continue?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 08:17:22 PM »
Sean, My link just kept on going onto new segments. Yes, there's more. The Viet Nam War comments were remarkable.

They held a conference years after the war ended. McNamara, relayed something to the affect that he was so ignorant of the history of the people he was fighting. That for us to be there to fight some form of  Chinese/Russian communism showed a total lack of understanding that these people had been fighting the chinese for a milenium.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back