News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Coming In For A Landing At Plainfield CC
« on: February 12, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
I am in the minority in my fondness for runway tees.   They provide elasticity and ease of maintenance and are particularly attractive when ground-hugging.  I was delighted to find a couple at Plainfield CC back in September.

The 16th tee looking back:

From behind the 13th tee (with a dejected Ed Getka pondering a beatdown-in-process from a suddenly resurgent Bogey):

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ben Sims

Re: Coming In For A Landing At Plainfield CC
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:32:18 PM »
Bogey,

I never really noticed the tees at Plainfield in this manner last September.  I guess I'm just used to that shape.

Either way, the course is so good elsewhere (and very underrated) that it never occurred to me that 15 and 16' tees were that long and straight lined.

Corky

corey miller

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »

Not a fan of the look and my club, which was also a Gil Hanse restoration has a few of these.  Wouldn't something more modest look a lot better?

I might add that from the regular member tees, I doubt the club gets much "elasticity" from this sort of design.  It is my experience that the tee markers continually get put down close to the MGA yardage pegs.  Very sad.

Ben Sims

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 02:48:25 PM »
Corey,

I could find a few small dogwood saplings to "break up" those teeing areas.  I know how you like adding small ornamental trees.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 11:43:58 PM »
I have actually seen two small aircraft make landings on long, flat par 5 holes on golf courses, so I thought this thread was about something differently entirely.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:54:32 AM »
I'll post a few of Pine Tree when I get a minute. Many of our tees AVERAGE 60 yards long with #16 coming in at 161 yards from end to end!
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 06:24:11 AM »
I don't mind the look so much except from the back end of the tee.  No, its what they represent in lack of variety which I dislike.  Runway tees basically mean that added yardage is the key ingredient for back tees whereas I would much rather see angles as being at least as important as yardage. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 09:05:03 AM »
One thing I like about runway tees is that everyone plays the hole from the same angle.   Too often the back tee has the best angle and then everything else is inferior.  Often forward tees are the worst.

#6 at Aronimink has a single tee which is a bit of a runway tee.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »
One thing I like about runway tees is that everyone plays the hole from the same angle.   Too often the back tee has the best angle and then everything else is inferior.  Often forward tees are the worst.

#6 at Aronimink has a single tee which is a bit of a runway tee.

Probably thinking of #7 at AGC... #6 is more of a square albeit a rather medium-large sized one.  Also, we do this to various degrees at #3, 11, 12, 15 and 18.  I like that it keeps the teeing surface and options at ground level, as opposed to elevating teeboxes.

WW

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 04:36:02 PM »
I played 2 rounds at Pauma  Valley CC (north San Diego County, CA) back in December. It is a classic Robert Trent Jones course built 50 years ago. Almost every tee is a "runway," 4 or 5 yards wide and 40 to 60 yards long.     

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 09:16:19 AM »
This is a pic of the 16th tee at Pine Tree. It is 161 yards longs from tip to tip.

Most tees at Pine Tree at similar to this, about 65 yards long
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom ORourke

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 09:25:07 AM »
I used to play Pine Tree quite often back in the late 70s. A friend of mine truly thought he could land a small plane on that tee. That hole is also over 660 yards from back there. I have played that hole with sunshine on the tee and pouring rain on the green. And, by the time we got to the green, the rain had stopped. One day I told the then-pro that I almost reached the green in two. My third shot was only a 4 iron. Closest I ever got. You need to hit it solidly to reach the ladies tees, and we all know what that means.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 09:56:47 AM »
I find the tee shot from the back of a runway to be intimidating.  The tee's length and narrow width work on my psyche.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Carl Nichols

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »
I find the tee shot from the back of a runway to be intimidating.  The tee's length and narrow width work on my psyche.

Bogey

Bogey:
I agree--at least for tee shots that are otherwise narrow.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back