News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Cheaper prices at Pound Ridge?
« on: February 16, 2011, 02:35:01 PM »
Okay, Matt ward aside - because we already know his opinion - what do you think of this news out of Pound Ridge:  (From the press release)

"Golfers wishing to experience the challenge of New York’s only Dye-designed layout will now be able to play nine holes any day of the week. Responding to the modern golfer’s call for flexible playability, the nine-hole play includes full use of the driving range, short game area, a pull-cart or cart, bottled water, player’s towel, and souvenir yardage book at an attractive rate. Prices range from $50 to $117.50, depending on the type of reservation (regular or advanced) and time of year (regular or offseason).

During the front nine, golfers will test their abilities on a scenic layout, weaving through streams, wooded hills, and dramatic cliffs. The dramatic par-5 9th rises over 50 feet from tee to green, offering a magnificent finishing hole to those only playing nine holes.

“The nine-hole play is ideal for professionals and avid golfers who want to enjoy the luxury and precision of Pete Dye’s design,” says Todd Leavenworth, General Manager of Pound Ridge Golf Club. “It is another example of Pound Ridge Golf Club’s response to the desires of today’s modern executives and golf enthusiasts to experience the course at a tremendous rate.”

Effective May 1, Pound Ridge Golf Club will also continue its advance reservation rates, introduced last summer to a resounding reception by local and out-of-town golfers. Rounds booked at least five days in advance range from $105 to $160 during the week, and weekend advance reservation rates range from $105 to $195."

Depending on the times those rates kick in, PR is STARTING to come a little more in line with their water level for a proper price.  I still think it's too high, but at least it's getting closer.  I don't like the $117 for 9 hole rate...the back is better than the front by far, so splitting it down the middle and only getting to play the front is no bargain at all IMNSHO.  Still, $50 is more in line with reeasonable and $100 for the round is sure better than $235, which was outrageous.

I still think that they need a little more of a grip on the reality of who they are - they are not a destination course.  They just aren't that good a choice as a stand-alone golf vacation...not enough personality to the entire course, and too hard.  Heck, the Concord Hotel's Monster course isn't far away and has more personality and charges $55-95...
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Cheaper prices at Pound Ridge?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:33:05 PM »
Jay,

I think it's a defensive response to reduced utilization (revenues)

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:07:47 PM »
Jay,

I think it's a defensive response to reduced utilization (revenues)

I agree with Pat that the register is obviously not being rung enough. Why not keep the towels, yardage book, water and range and charge even less. Who`s going to pony up $117.50 for nine holes at a course that by most accounts is too tough for the average player?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:51:06 PM »
Jay:

Westchester-County can provide a far different platform for what is pricey or reasonable than some place out in the middle of the USA.

PR was not marketed correctly from the get go.

They should have created a loyalty membership program that would have meant more people playing during the off-peak times. Charing top dollar for the prime weekend and holiday tee times was not the issue. Getting people to play there at other times was.

The other factor was the overall demands of the course itself. Too many hazards and too many opportunities for balls being swallowed doesn't add much of a comfort zone to people playing there.

The key for PR is making the course more playable -- the suggestions I have previously made still stand.

Put those things together and it's possible that PR can be a more attractive place to play. One other thing -- the $117 rate for 9-holes is still an indicator that they need to adjust things a good bit more.

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 10:18:32 PM »
$200 is pretty cheap for that neck of the woods. I'm sure the lower rates and improving economy will result in many more rounds.
H.P.S.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:22:10 AM »

$200 is pretty cheap for that neck of the woods. I'm sure the lower rates and improving economy will result in many more rounds.

Pat, I don't think so.
As Matt pointed out, the course itself needs to be softened.
Nobody wants to lose 3, 4 or more golf balls, take telephone numbers on a hole and spend time looking for balls which adds up to a long round.

An overhaul is desperately needed before golfers will want to engage in repeat play at PR.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 02:22:17 PM »
Although golf in that area is NOT cheap, if you are willing to drive you can play some pretty nice course (18 holes) for less than their 9 hole fee.

Sounds like their bottom line isn't doing all that well....
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 07:54:02 PM »
The going rate out there - on the high side - is $125.  (Centennial, for example.)  Public golf out there is actually pretty more reasonable than that if you go to Richter Park ($65) Casperkill ($55) The Monster ($55-$95). or Union Vale ($65).

It's resort golf prices, but without the resort!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back