News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

Re: Philly Cricket Wissahickon photo tour: short par 3 3rd now showing
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »

1) How is this course pronounced?

WI-sah-HI-kuhn

Once you can pronounce it correctly 9 times out of 10, Mucci will add you to the Philly co-conspirators list.  ;)

Thanks--it seems like a good list to be on.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 06:16:20 PM »
That's HI as in hickey, not HI as in hi!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 08:59:46 AM »
#4.  Not a long par 5, but for most this is a 3 shotter as the large fronting bunker to a slightly elevated green makes reaching it in two a tricky proposition.

Tee view:

Our group had two drives in quite good position:

Approach to the green view:

From short and left of the green:

View of the green on the way to the 5th tee:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Bausch

Re: Philly Cricket Wissahickon photo tour: par 5 4th now up!
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 09:48:03 AM »
Let me borrow an old aerial from Gib's IMO to show how the 4th hole at one time had a version of Hell's Half Acre:

Jim Briggs

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 09:55:56 AM »

What do you think the strategic considerations would be with respect to the HHA in the old aerial.  Doesn't look like it would be a decision for the second shot.  Would one have been able to drive through the fairway in the HHA on the drive?

Thanks for the tour!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »

What do you think the strategic considerations would be with respect to the HHA in the old aerial.  Doesn't look like it would be a decision for the second shot.  Would one have been able to drive through the fairway in the HHA on the drive?

Thanks for the tour!

Jim, I think in that aerial the HHA starts about 300 yards from the back tee.  So, maybe Bubba could carry it with a wee helping breeze!

Jim Briggs

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 10:07:54 AM »

Thanks...so what we be the purpose of the HHA.  Really woudn't come into play on the second shot would it (unless a poor drive)?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 10:10:29 AM »

Thanks...so what we be the purpose of the HHA.  Really woudn't come into play on the second shot would it (unless a poor drive)?

Correct.  For the better player, IMO, it won't really be in play.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 10:12:27 AM »
It reminds me very much of the HHA at Baltimore CC minus the big elevation change from the hazard to the green.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 10:24:04 AM »

The HHA places a premium on a well-struck tee shot. Good execution takes the HHA out of consideration. Poor execution forces the player to consider laying up short of the hazard.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »
It reminds me very much of the HHA at Baltimore CC minus the big elevation change from the hazard to the green.

Is this the hole Rory?

Jim Briggs

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 10:42:57 AM »
Agreed Kyle.  In this case then, would you consider it to have been a hazzard that impacted the better player very little from a strategic perspective and impacted the higher handicap much more significantly given the higher probability of poor execution?

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 10:44:15 AM »
Exactly.  I think its 14 (?). Perhaps Jim Franklin will chime in.
The HHA at BCC has some pretty interesting mounding around those bunkers and they are covered with fescue.
The green is well below the level of HHA and is a very tough up and down if one missed right as I did in my only visit.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 02:45:42 PM »
#4.  I really like this little par 4.  Lots of stress on the approach shot to a small green!

Tee view, where I think being right in the fw is best for the approach shot.

These right bunkers see plenty of action:

You can't see any of the two-tiered green on your approach shot:

From left of the green:

From the back of the green.  The pin all the way up front and right is a good one.

mike_malone

Re: Philly Cricket Wissahickon photo tour: short par 4 5th has arrived
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 02:48:57 PM »
 I think fairway beyond the left fw bunker would add to the strategy of the hole. Wouldn't that be the ideal landing area.
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 02:55:35 PM »
I think fairway beyond the left fw bunker would add to the strategy of the hole. Wouldn't that be the ideal landing area.

Hmm, I'll be interested to hear others responses on this Mayday.  I think b/c of the where the ridge runs in the green, approaching from the right part of the fw is better.  However, I think I can see your point in being left as the ground is a bit higher and you might get a small view of the putting surface.  But getting at a front pin from there I don't think is as good, but might concede it could be better for pins on the back tier.

mike_malone

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2011, 03:14:30 PM »
 It would increase the options.
AKA Mayday

Kyle Harris

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 03:31:56 PM »

I agree. The whole point of fairway hazards, for the most part, is to give the golfer an interesting proposition in the area best suited for the next shot. Fairway around the bunkers would compel golfers to actually use that area around the bunkers.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »
I personally think the best angle of approach is from the middle right of the fairway.  The slope of the green very much dictates that.

A very neat hole with a really cool green complex.  Reminded me of 5 at Bethpage Black a bit.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Joe Bausch

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2011, 08:54:33 AM »
#6.  Another short par 4 with OB left (the property with one of the most awesome houses in the area, IMO!).

This tee view is from the back and most left tee box.  You can just bunt one out there if you wish, or take a driver out and go up the left side to leave a very short shot in to a green running away from you.  Many trees have been removed to the right, but not all.  The 4th and 7th tee boxes are nearby.

This view from right in the fw about 100 yards out shows some of the trees have been removed when compared to a similar shot from Gib's IMO piece:

Pre-tree removal:

Here's the line if you wish to hit driver, this looking back to the tees:

You are then left with a touchy short shot which some might play right along the ground:

From right and long of the green:

This shot looking at the green from the back tee on 7 shows a large tree just short and right of the green.

Rory Connaughton

Re: Philly Cricket Wissahickon photo tour: short par 4 6th up
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2011, 09:26:48 AM »
A very sporty hole and the photos, good as they are, do not do justice to that green.

JESII

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2011, 10:06:49 AM »
Joe,

Thanks for this thread...it's unfortunately rather easy to forget just how good this course is when you don't play it for a couple years. I've played there 40 or 50 times through the years and think the effort with the tree program is the perfect step in the re-evolution of the course and club.

I can't tell you how happy I was to see that the big tree guarding #6 green wasn't included in the mass termination, it's one of the best trees on a golf course I've ever seen.

Mayday,

When would it ever be better to approach the 5th green from the left corner of the fairway than the right?

Options are fine, but your  opionion that the left side would be ideal is mistaken because of the awkward stance and approach angle across the slope as opposed to into it...all in my opinion of course...

Mark McKeever

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2011, 10:17:38 AM »
Hole 5 final thoughts:  If you gave me 5 shots from the left edge, most of them would probably funnel to the right side of the green unless you land it perfectly in the left collar.  From the right side, youre hitting striaghter up the slope of the green and its much easier to attack the pin.

Hole 6 thought:  A great little par 4 that can reall bite you if you're not careful.  The big tree is very impressive and adds a ton to the hole aesthetically as well as strategically.  You cannot get lazy and lay too far left or right here.  The green has A LOT more slope than it appears.  Any front flag is very difficult to get it close...

Mark

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:21:10 AM by Mark McKeever »
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

JESII

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2011, 10:31:28 AM »
Come on Mark, you can take a shot at Mayday's opinion if you feel it...he doesn't get offended, he just digs in his heels. Hell, we might be out there this afternoon hitting shots to test the theories...

Kyle Harris

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »
Come on Mark, you can take a shot at Mayday's opinion if you feel it...he doesn't get offended, he just digs in his heels. Hell, we might be out there this afternoon hitting shots to test the theories...

Give 'em as much room left as they want and let all that slack be a noose around their necks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back