News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Potash

Rules Question
« on: July 27, 2012, 07:13:24 PM »
A bit embarrassed I dont' know this but -

If someone is tending the flag for you when you are off the green, they then have to remove the flag as the ball is going into the cup, correct?

Brian

John McCarthy

Re: Rules Question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »
No
  Can only tend on the green
  Not even fringe.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Brian Potash

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 07:17:59 PM »
I believe you can have the pin tended at any time whether you are on the green or not.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 07:26:27 PM »
I believe you can have the pin tended at any time whether you are on the green or not.

Mickelson had Bones tend the pin on a wedge approach he had to hole - I think it was at Torrey Pines.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 07:30:10 PM »
USGA says:

17-1. Flagstick Attended, Removed Or Held Up
Before making a stroke from anywhere on the course, the player may have the flagstick attended, removed or held up to indicate the position of the hole.

If the flagstick is not attended, removed or held up before the player makes a stroke, it must not be attended, removed or held up during the stroke or while the player’s ball is in motion if doing so might influence the movement of the ball.

Note 1: If the flagstick is in the hole and anyone stands near it while a stroke is being made, he is deemed to be attending the flagstick.

Note 2: If, prior to the stroke, the flagstick is attended, removed or held up by anyone with the player’s knowledge and he makes no objection, the player is deemed to have authorized it.

Note 3: If anyone attends or holds up the flagstick while a stroke is being made, he is deemed to be attending the flagstick until the ball comes to rest.

(Moving attended, removed or held-up flagstick while ball in motion – see Rule 24-1)

Brian Potash

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 07:36:15 PM »
So the answer to my original question is yes, right?

John McCarthy

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 07:37:50 PM »
Looks like I'm wrong
  Not the first time

The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 07:57:14 PM »
Wrong thread. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:01:20 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 08:02:48 PM »
Wrong thread. 
Makes so much more sense here.  Tired and emotional this evening?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David Bartman

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 08:21:52 PM »
Brian - the answer to your question is that it is a 2 stroke penalty in stroke play and loss of hole in match play if an attended flag, the person attending the flag or anything being carried by the attendant, is struck by the ball.  Its the same penalty for hitting the flagstick with the ball when on the putting surface.

a player can have the flag attended anywhere on the golf course

I hope this helps you win a bet :)
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Brian Potash

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 08:40:20 PM »
Thank you David!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:47:23 PM »
But you can't change yur mind after skulling your chip and say "no, leave it in."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back