News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Rolf-Stephan Hansen's Feature Interview is now posted
« on: February 11, 2011, 02:53:05 PM »
When viewed through the dark prism of the recession at its height (~ February 2009), the game of golf found itself at the receiving end of scathing criticism.  The jaundiced eyes of certain circles became especially fixated on the Northern Trust sponsorship of the PGA event at Riviera that year. Of course, the sport endured such dubious skewering but still to this day, rarely do we read about how golf can be an agent for positive change. This month's Feature Interview with Rolf-Stephan Hansen, creator of the Budersand golf course on the Isle of Sylt, is one such story.

Just scroll through the photos in this month's Feature Interview and you'll appreciate the amazing transformation undertaken by R-Stephan on a joyless, abandoned military base. Golfers everywhere now have a compelling reason to head for majestic Sylt. Those who have come since the course opened in 2008, including Masa from Japan, all leave singing Budersand's praises.

And no wonder. The grass schemes are top notch, the hazards play as true hazards, the approach shots are nicely varied, etc. There are no EPA-type rules in place that mar a game as at Spanish Bay. All in all, this is the kind of thoughtful architecture rarely found in modern designs across Europe and it helps set a new standard (the hotel behind the eighteenth green is in a design class by itself as well).

Similar to Kidd at Bandon Dunes, R-Stephan has opened his design career along a large body of water. Nice work if you can get it (!)
but in this real life example, as R-Stephan explains, twenty-six buildings were demolished to make way for the golf course. Now, Budersand serves as a prime example of how golf can benefit the environment and the southern tip of the Isle of Sylt (doesn't the name sound straight out of mythology?!) exudes an idyllic charm for all to enjoy.

Golf's transformative powers are seen in full force at Budersand, a beautiful thing.

Cheers,

David_Tepper

Re: Rolf-Stephan Hansen's Feature Interview is now posted
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:03:59 PM »
Ran -

Thanks for the interview. I hope the project will be a big success.

DT

Alex Miller

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 03:08:39 PM »
Ran, thanks for the read!

About the semi-blind par 3 13th- I think that was an incredible risk to take, but it looks like an excellent hole. The notch in the dune that allows the flag to be seen on some occasion is pure genius to me. A neat design feature that I have not seen and would have been completely unaware of without this interview.

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »
With all the legislation protecting links land as a site of ecological interest it is unfortunately not possible to create a new links course in Germany or Denmark.

Bummer.

Thanks for the interview, terrific as always.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:40:12 PM »
I loved Budersand when I went there two years ago. It is a great case study for how golf can improve the natural environment. It's also a terrific golf course. It defies belief that it was Stephan's first course. I hope he goes on to build many more.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Emil Weber

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 06:05:00 AM »
That's a nice surprise! Thanks

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »
Last year someone posted a number of photos.  I think this is the thread.  It looks fantastic.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39465.0.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back