News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Does your course adjust the tees based on the pins?
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:03:31 AM »
In more detail, if the pin is at the front of the green, are the tee markers placed at the back of the tee box, and at the front of the tee box for back pins?  I've seen clubs do this so that each hole generally plays the same distance no matter where the pin is set on the green.  

I can understand the maintenance related issues for moving tee marker locations, but a strict rotation based on where the pins are located seems to dumb down the game.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Kyle Casella

Re: Does your course adjust the tees based on the pins?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:41:09 AM »
We have a member combo tee (combination of the back and the middle). Some hole locations will only be played with certain tees (mostly on par 3's). There is only one where I think they really plan it out- it's a back left location on a hill and very tough to get it close from the usual 180+. It's still tough from 135, but a lot easier than the back tee.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:41:13 AM »
Yes, Coronado GC does this and it insures you aleays hit the same club to every hole, assuming a good drive. I would prefer to see it the other way, with back pins playing from back tees and front pins playing from front tees. This way the golf course gets tee boxes rotated to save wear and tear and we get more variety of shots rather than less. I must admit I have never seen this practice implemented; surely this practice wouldn't upset the precious slope and course rating, so we can still post an honest score!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:41:26 AM »
At a course I know well, for whatever reason one of the old pros took a dislike to one of the young studs.  As the latter had a distinct right to left game (i.e. controlled hook off the tee and draw to the green), the former used to set up the course on competition days with the tees and the pins hard to the right.  To prove that there is occasionally justice in the world of golf, the young stud lerned how to tack his way around the pro's set-up and went on to win many famous trophies, took over the old pro's job when the pro succumbed to alcoholism, and still plays golf with skill and wit in his later years.....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 11:02:01 AM »
Pete:

It seems like the only factors that come into play on many par 3's is what the wind is doing that day.  So instead of a hole that can vary by as much as 50 yards in distance from the same tee box (i.e. a 35 yard long green with a 20 yard long teeing area), you're left with the player making a one or two club adjustment if the wind is blowing.

Is this simply due to a type of player that likes predictability?  

If the course allows for elasticity, why isn't it used?

Rich:

The left/right setup is another wrinkle, but in your case it seems like the super's actions actually added some complexity, as opposed to adding predictability.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 11:45:16 AM »
No,

I don't have markers on my tees letting players decide where on the tee they wish to play from.

Jon

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 08:18:29 AM »
My club does this; it's the first place I've played that does.  I believe the philosophy is that if the course plays to essentially the same yardage, then the scores and handicaps will be more accurate relative to the course rating and slope.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

jim_lewis

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 10:04:50 AM »
I see a flaw in the theory that it is important to insure that the total yardage play the same as the score card. On some holes, moving the pin up to offset moving the tee back can make the hole play much harder. We have several long par 4's where reaching the green in regulation is tough begin with. Most players have to hit a fairly long iron or fairway wood just to reach the green. It is a more reasonable shot if the pin is middle or back. If the pin is on the front, you'd better be hitting a lofted club if you hope to finish withing 30 feet of the hole. Frankly, I like the idea of moving the tees forward when the pin is up to give the player a chance of hitting a relatively lofted club. A long iron or wood to a back pin is much more doable, so I'm ok with a back tee on those holes. Course ratings are intended to evaluate the difficulty of the course. Pin locations can be as big a factor as length.

Then, of course, consideration should always be given to course condition (wet or dry), wind, and green firmness and speed.

I don't think any pre-arranged formula is a good idea.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 10:11:46 AM »

I don't think any pre-arranged formula is a good idea.

What Crusty says.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back