News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lynn_Shackelford

Austin Golf Club
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:33:08 PM »
Is anyone on this group a member of Austin Golf Club?
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Buck Wolter

Re: Austin Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
I've heard that Crenshaw guy is a lurker
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Michael Robin

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 01:23:08 AM »
Austin Golf Club or Country Club?

I was actually in Austin today. Beautiful, crisp day. Out at Barton Creek for a while, didn't get to play, but looks like quite a facility. Also out at Hyatt Regency Lost Pines. Anybody know about the course out there?

Saw a sad site at a former course called Coto Vista. Abandoned several years ago, they are still trying to sell the property. Golf course is still in place, but is not maintained or irrigated anymore. Looks like a golf ghost town.

Was Austin CC renamed?

Randy Thompson

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 06:16:34 AM »
Micheal,
i was thinking the same thing. I beleive the old Austin Country Club is now part of the muncipals courses in Austin and is called Austin Golf Club. The new Austin Country Club was devloped in the mid 80`s and designed by Pete dye and is still called Austin Country Club. There were some controverseries when that baby opened for play.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 10:04:50 AM »
Austin Country Club was originally called Austin Golf Club.  The original course is now Hancock municipal course.

The current Austin Golf Club is Ben Crenshaw's private course near Spicewood.

Michael Burrows

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 11:08:30 AM »
Randy is correct

The original name of Austin Country Club was Austin Golf Club. The club was founded By Lewis Hancock and the first location was near the UT campus. Today the its a 9 hole course called Hancock. They they removed nine holes to build interstate 35 back in the day.

The club moved east in 1949 off of Riverside drive. This is when I believe they changed the name to ACC. The new course was designed by J. Press and Perry Maxwell. The course still remains there today and is called Riverside. This is where Crenshaw and Kite grew up playing.

The current location is off Capital of Texas Hwy and Lake Austin. The course was designed by Pete Dye in 1984.

As Kyle stated, Ben Crenshaw and seven other founding members built the current Austin Golf Club out in Spicewood in 2000.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Austin Golf Club or Country Club?

Saw a sad site at a former course called Coto Vista. Abandoned several years ago, they are still trying to sell the property. Golf course is still in place, but is not maintained or irrigated anymore. Looks like a golf ghost town.

I am guessing you are referring to ColoVista in Bastrop.  I played there several years ago, the first nine was mostly flat and forgettable, however, the second nine was on nice rolling terrain.  Not a bad course by any means, sad to hear it is closed.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »
If anyone has pictures and/or thoughts on this course, that is Austin Golf Club associated with Bill Coore, I'm interested to learn more.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 08:56:32 AM »
Austin Golf Club seems to be the Coore & Crenshaw course (or perhaps mostly Crenshaw's work, as it sounds) that gets the least amount of discussion.  Perhaps it's the fact that few have seen it.  I've always been interested in learning more about it.  For those that have played it, what are some unique characteristics of the course and club itself?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Austin Golf Club is a treat.  Isolated.  No homes.  Rock firm and fast.  Gently curving fairways that require the player to shape the ball to hold the fairway.  Elevated greens somewhat similar to Chechessee Creek's set.  High Rough that depending on the time of year and the weather can create lost balls.  Overall a solid but not spectacular course, IMO.

Bart

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »
I agree with the "solid but not spectacular" comment.  It's really low key.  I liked both closing holes and the over the hill dogleg right with the stone wall down the left.   It is very private and quiet, with a real Hill Country vibe.  You can see why Crenshaw likes hanging around out there.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »
I agree with the "solid but not spectacular" comment.  It's really low key.  I liked both closing holes and the over the hill dogleg right with the stone wall down the left.   It is very private and quiet, with a real Hill Country vibe.  You can see why Crenshaw likes hanging around out there.

10 Is one of the coolest par 3's ever. The short course is very cool and they are tied with Sand Hills for best course cheeseburger. I love the simplicity of the design and routing at Austin Golf Club. It looks like it's always been there and it feels like the greens flow into the next tee.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 06:08:31 PM »

10 Is one of the coolest par 3's ever. The short course is very cool and they are tied with Sand Hills for best course cheeseburger. I love the simplicity of the design and routing at Austin Golf Club. It looks like it's always been there and it feels like the greens flow into the next tee.

One of the great easy walks.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »

One of the great easy walks.

Which C&C did you like more, Austin Golf Club or Barton Creek Crenshaw Cliffside?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »
I think Barton Creek may be my least favorite C and C.  Austin is the better course of the two, IMO. 

Bart

Sam Morrow

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 10:22:37 PM »
I think Barton Creek may be my least favorite C and C.  Austin is the better course of the two, IMO. 

Bart

Bart I'll take AGC also, I like Barton Creek except for that par 5 with the giant tree in the fairway. As I recall McBride really likes the course.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 10:43:22 PM »
I think Barton Creek may be my least favorite C and C.  Austin is the better course of the two, IMO.  

Bart

I love that course at Barton Creek .   It's such a great contrast to the overblown, phoney baloney Fazio Foothills course (I do like the Fazio Canyons course).  What I love about the Crenshaw course is the large number of fall away greens.  Those are the most natural set of greens that are just draped over the natural terrain that I can think of.  There are just a handful that are built up in back, and two of those are just benched into hillsides (11 and 17).   It's fun playing all the bump and runs required to get at pins on those fall away greens.  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 07:53:13 AM by Bill_McBride »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 10:44:29 PM »

Bart

I love that course at Barton Creek .   It's such a great contrast to the overblown, phones baloney Fazio Foothills course (I do like the Fazio Canyons course).  What I love about the Crenshaw course is the large number of fall away greens.  Those are the most natural set of greens that are just draped over the natural terrain that I can think of.  There are just a handful that are built up in back, and two of those are just benched into hillsides (11 and 17).   It's fun playing all the bump and runs required to get at pins on those fall away greens. 

The greens are very cool

JLahrman

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 12:44:54 PM »
Hi all, I thought I'd bring this one back up from the Depths. I had a chance to play Austin GC a couple of days ago. It's definitely a low key place. The course is very seamless. One hole flows into the next. You never need to look for or walk far to the next tee box. The playing corridors are wide (though not wide enough for my grapeshot driving), but there are better sides from which to approach the greens. Run ups are possible on a lot of the holes, which is nice because I'm sure it can get windy. There are also some false fronts. I would not call the greens heavily undulated, but they were running at a quick pace which nicely accentuated their contours.

I'm new to Austin and this was only the second course I've played in the area; I suspect I've played the cream of the local crop!

I don't get the feeling that there are a ton of GCAers in the Austin area, but would be interested in hearing additional opinions on the course.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 08:49:49 PM »
The P.B. Dye iteration, or A Country Club as i recall may b eonen of the worst 5 courses i have ever played
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

JLahrman

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 10:36:16 PM »
The P.B. Dye iteration, or A Country Club as i recall may b eonen of the worst 5 courses i have ever played

Different course. I have not played it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 10:41:34 PM »

Ward:

I think you're being too harsh on that course, but to each his own.

Mainly, I wanted to correct you as to its provenance.  P.B. had nothing to do with Austin Country Club -- he was working on The Honors Course for his dad at the time.  Austin Country Club is all Pete, and if it has any other influence that would have come from the construction superintendent -- the now respected Rod Whitman!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 10:31:49 AM »
Not a big fan of Pete Dye but I cannot agree that Austin CC is that bad.
I have played it alot in the Harvey Penick and the course is very penal and unforgiving in places but not a bad golf course.
A tough place to play with a scorecard in your back pocket and will test every part of your game.
As I said I am not a fan of Pete Dye but I go back every year to the Penick as I know my game will be duly tested.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 11:04:54 AM »
I loved Austin GC.  The sort of course you could happily play every day, plenty of interest, lots of challenging shots but not a ball-breaker.  The club had a really good feel, too, very welcoming and a friendly place.  Short of pretension and focussed on golf.  With CPC as near to the feel you get at the better English clubs as I have come across in the US.

I also played Barton Creek and would have to say that AGC would be my preference, though Barton Creek grew on me after a fairly bland opening run of holes.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:46:57 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

JLahrman

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 11:11:21 AM »
I loved Austin GC.  The sort of course you could happily play every day, plenty of interest, lots of challenging shots but not a ball-breaker.

Totally agree with this, and let's make sure to differentiate Austin GC (Crenshaw) which is the one you and I are talking about, and Austin CC (Dye) which is what some others are talking about. No reason we can't discuss both, just need to make sure we remember which is which.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back