News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

I had not played Minikahda since its restoration several years ago and the course has been the hilight of the summer so far.  The course has improved dramatically with the reduction in trees and the wild appearance of long fescue around bunkers.  While there I met Jeff Johnson, their superintendant who is undertaking a natural transformation in an effort to reduce poa annua.  The greens at the course are in fantastic shape which is a rarity in the Twin Cities this year.  Jeff writes a terrific blog for his members which you can see here.  http://minikahdagrounds.blogspot.com/

Jason:

I played Minikahda yesterday for the first time and loved it. As you know, it's been really hot and dry here and most courses are playing really F&F, but I teed off an hour after the storm passed and the greens were soft and I'm sure not as fast as they could be. I'm sure when those greens get hard and fast they could drive a player's score up quickly! Anyway, I thought the course was a lot of fun and features an amazing set of greens. I saw a few pictures after the round of the course pre-renovation and to say that they took a few trees out would be an understatement :) 

The only question I have is how the course is being maintained, as when I commented to the member I was playing with how much I liked one of the (clearly renovated) bunkers which had the "gnarly, natural, hairy" look we tend to like around here, he said that the members hate those type of bunkers and have mowed over half of them down. It's too bad because I think the course would be much more visually attractive if all the bunkers looked like that.

The one knock I've heard on the course is that holes 15-17 on the other side of the road were "nothing" holes. Really? Because I thought the 17th was just an awesome green complex (we had a front right pin on a finger of the green) and the green on 15 was pretty neat too.

It's a pretty neat place, and the view from the back of the clubhouse isn't too bad either!  8)
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

I saw a few pictures after the round of the course pre-renovation and to say that they took a few trees out would be an understatement :) 

The number I heard was several thousand. And I believe it, too. I hit at least several thousand trees when I played there 40 years ago, in high school.

The one knock I've heard on the course is that holes 15-17 on the other side of the road were "nothing" holes. Really? Because I thought the 17th was just an awesome green complex (we had a front right pin on a finger of the green) and the green on 15 was pretty neat too.

I think 17 is a really good hole. I played there in the MN Senior Open last summer. Double-bogeyed it Day 1; birdied it Day 2. It's a great green, I agree -- and I can tell you from experience: It's an EASY hole that, once you have made one mistake, is a very HARD hole.

As for 15 green: I had about a 15-footer for birdie (front-leftish pin; I was behind it) in Round 1 last year that I played as a straight putt ... and the SOB broke about FOUR FEET to the right! Talked with a caddie there afterward; told him how puzzled I was by the 15th green. He said: "It broke WAY RIGHT, didn't it?" I confessed that it had. He said it fools everyone, at first.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

PCCraig

I saw a few pictures after the round of the course pre-renovation and to say that they took a few trees out would be an understatement :) 

The number I heard was several thousand. And I believe it, too. I hit at least several thousand trees when I played there 40 years ago, in high school.

Dan, I was told they took out "about 600" trees to which I can't believe for a second seeing some old photos of the course. When playing another historically tree lined course that was recently renovated I was told that they told the members they were going to take out 500...but they ended up taking out 2x or 3x as many!

I think 17 is a really good hole. I played there in the MN Senior Open last summer. Double-bogeyed it Day 1; birdied it Day 2. It's a great green, I agree -- and I can tell you from experience: It's an EASY hole that, once you have made one mistake, is a very HARD hole.

I can image all it would take is one chunked or thin wedge approach into one of the surrounding deep bunkers... BTW how cool are the hidden bunkers behind the green?

As for 15 green: I had about a 15-footer for birdie (front-leftish pin; I was behind it) in Round 1 last year that I played as a straight putt ... and the SOB broke about FOUR FEET to the right! Talked with a caddie there afterward; told him how puzzled I was by the 15th green. He said: "It broke WAY RIGHT, didn't it?" I confessed that it had. He said it fools everyone, at first.

My host mentioned that every year Minikahda and Interlachen play a match against each other and that the scores are almost always higher at Minikahda. I played the course on a softer low wind day so I might not be the best judge...for those that have played both: is Minikahda really harder?
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

I can image all it would take is one chunked or thin wedge approach into one of the surrounding deep bunkers... BTW how cool are the hidden bunkers behind the green?

How I made an "easy" hole hard:

1. Smother drive. End up with ball in long grass, on very severe slope, at right of FW bunker left.

2. Go for green. With ball above feet by a foot or more, hit short-iron fat and come up at very front of pretty deep, pretty long front bunker. Pin just over bunker. 25(?)-yard bunker shot remaining?

3. Hit bunker shot PURE, but a bit thin. Didn't expect ball would come rocketing out of the bunker, over the green, over the supposedly cool hidden bunkers (never notice them!), down the hill to Excelsior Boulevard, OB.

4. Penalty.

5. My shot of the year, considering I was a complete mental wreck of a shambles at this point. Up on the little front-left shelf, to about 12 feet.

6. 12-foot curler, in.

Let's get out of here!

Jason Topp

. . .
The only question I have is how the course is being maintained, as when I commented to the member I was playing with how much I liked one of the (clearly renovated) bunkers which had the "gnarly, natural, hairy" look we tend to like around here, he said that the members hate those type of bunkers and have mowed over half of them down. It's too bad because I think the course would be much more visually attractive if all the bunkers looked like that.

.  .  .

Pat - I am two minds on the long grass.  I love the look but hate the playability unless it is maintained so that (1) you can find your ball and (2) the grass is kept thin enough so that some sort of shot is possible nearly all of the time and a more agressive shot is possible some of the time.  It is tough to meet those standards unless the soil is perfect.  It is not on most Twin Cities courses.  

As to 15-17, I think each individual hole is quite good (particularly the 17th) but coming at the end of the round makes for a long string of short par fours to finish (including the disappointing 18th).  I think they would work better in the middle of the round either as holes 2-4 or 6-8.  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:23:45 PM by Jason Topp »

Rick Shefchik

in doing my research for the book on the history of Minnesota clubs, I was interested to find that almost all the top pros and amateurs in Minnesota in the '20s and '30s consistently listed Minikahda's #16 on their top 18 holes. I don't know if the hole has changed much since the 1930s, but back then it was held in the highest regard, and having played there last year, I thought it was the strongest of the three triangle holes -- at least in terms of green complex, if not overall strategy.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dan Kelly

As to 15-17, I think each individual hole is quite good (particularly the 17th) but coming at the end of the round makes for a long string of short par fours to finish (including the disappointing 18th).  I think they would work better in the middle of the round either as holes 2-4 or 6-8.  

Agreed. I'm make them 2-4. They're perfectly good warming-up holes.

As for the "disappointing" 18th: Granted, it's not the strongest hole on the course. It's probably not among the strongest 15 holes on the course. But I think it's a perfectly fine finishing hole -- like the 18th at The Old Course, or the 18th at North Berwick: holes that don't beat you to death as you leave, and give you a reasonable shot at walking off with a birdie.

Jason Topp

[As for the "disappointing" 18th: Granted, it's not the strongest hole on the course. It's probably not among the strongest 15 holes on the course. But I think it's a perfectly fine finishing hole -- like the 18th at The Old Course, or the 18th at North Berwick: holes that don't beat you to death as you leave, and give you a reasonable shot at walking off with a birdie.

I like the concept of a finishing hole that is a gamble - such as those at the Old Course and N. Berwick.  This one is a center of the fairway, wedge to the green type of hole. 

Dan Kelly

I like the concept of a finishing hole that is a gamble - such as those at the Old Course and N. Berwick.  This one is a center of the fairway, wedge to the green type of hole. 

I haven't played any of the three often enough to know what I'm talking about, for sure -- but I don't think of either TOC or N. Berwick as a "gambling" hole.

And I wonder what the longest players do on Minikahda 18.

Jason Topp

in doing my research for the book on the history of Minnesota clubs, I was interested to find that almost all the top pros and amateurs in Minnesota in the '20s and '30s consistently listed Minikahda's #16 on their top 18 holes. I don't know if the hole has changed much since the 1930s, but back then it was held in the highest regard, and having played there last year, I thought it was the strongest of the three triangle holes -- at least in terms of green complex, if not overall strategy.

Rick

At Page 34 of the July 1927 Golf Illustrated, they reported that switched the hole sequence for the National Amateur won by Bobby Jones.  They played the current 15, 16 and 17 as 2, 3 and 4.  It is likely that that the 16th hole for the tournament is the current 13th hole.  Magazine is linked below:

http://photoarchive.usga.org/mbwtemp/July%201927.pdf

PCCraig

[As for the "disappointing" 18th: Granted, it's not the strongest hole on the course. It's probably not among the strongest 15 holes on the course. But I think it's a perfectly fine finishing hole -- like the 18th at The Old Course, or the 18th at North Berwick: holes that don't beat you to death as you leave, and give you a reasonable shot at walking off with a birdie.

Jason and Dan:

I didn't think the 18th was that bad. I liked the uphill/blind tee shot and the "reveal" of walking up the fairway to see the clubhouse and 18th green waiting for you, with Lake Calhoun and the city skyline beyond that...not too shabby. Plus, I think the green is pretty severe even compared to the other greens on the course. Granted I played the course when it was a little soggy, but trying to force a wedge to a back left pin with a firm green with nothing but hazard behind the green is enough of a gamble for me! :)

To be honest, until you guys mentioned it, making 15-17 nos. 2-4 would be really easy to do come to think of it. That would make for an uneven set of 9's in terms of difficulty though, no? Considering the current routing's first 6 holes are a pretty easy start, the back "new" back nine would essentially include all of the course's toughest holes.  
H.P.S.

PCCraig

Rick

At Page 34 of the July 1927 Golf Illustrated, they reported that switched the hole sequence for the National Amateur won by Bobby Jones.  They played the current 15, 16 and 17 as 2, 3 and 4.  It is likely that that the 16th hole for the tournament is the current 13th hole.  Magazine is linked below:

Jason,

When was the road built?
H.P.S.

Jason Topp

To be honest, until you guys mentioned it, making 15-17 nos. 2-4 would be really easy to do come to think of it. That would make for an uneven set of 9's in terms of difficulty though, no? Considering the current routing's first 6 holes are a pretty easy start, the back "new" back nine would essentially include all of the course's toughest holes.  

You are correct on that point Craig, the only exception being the current number 2 which is a tough one.  I would guess there would be 5-600 yards difference between the nines, par 35-37 (or 35-38 from the whites).

Jason Topp

Jason,

When was the road built?

I do not know but from the description in the article it looks like it was there in 1927.

Dan Kelly

The whole thing is a remarkable blast from the past -- with nothing more remarkable than the Spalding Kro-Flite advertisement on Page 5.

Mark Johnson

Dan, I was told they took out "about 600" trees to which I can't believe for a second seeing some old photos of the course. When playing another historically tree lined course that was recently renovated I was told that they told the members they were going to take out 500...but they ended up taking out 2x or 3x as many!

My host mentioned that every year Minikahda and Interlachen play a match against each other and that the scores are almost always higher at Minikahda. I played the course on a softer low wind day so I might not be the best judge...for those that have played both: is Minikahda really harder?

I think it is fairly close.  Alot will depend on the tees and how the course is set up.   Interlachen is a little more penal around the greens, minnikadha requires more accuracy off the tees.

From the middle tees, Minikahda is much easier IMO.  For most good players, they can hit hybrid/3-wood on a majority of the par-4s if they are playing the whites.

It is probably pretty close and the higher scores are probably more of a factor of how fast the greens were playing on a given day.

John_Conley

Regarding the question of which course is harder, Minikahda or Interlachen?

In the late 1980s and early 1990s (last time I lived in Minnesota), it seemed to me that they were even.  The big difference was sequencing.

Both had five par 5s, some reachable - some not (like #12 ICC and #9 at Minikahda).
Both had four par 3s of various distances.
Both had five shortish par 4s.
Both had four longish par 4s.

Interlachen got its short holes out of the way early.  From the members tee it was a lot of wedges.  #9 and #11 are reachable par 5s.  Then it gets tougher.

Minikahda was the opposite.  An easy start, but #2 is one of the meatier 4s.  The holes across the road were shortish and the one that preceded them played as a par 5.  #18 was probably the second easiest par 4 after the starter, much different than the demanding closer down the road with just half a gren.

Rick Shefchik

Rick

My research indicated that the USGA proposed the switch, and Henry Mackall later endorsed it, but the club never did switch to that routing. The 16th hole that the local aces were praising in the 1920-1930 era was the same 16th that is played now.

I believe the road that became Excelsior Boulevard went through in the early 1900s -- after the first 9 holes were built, but before the 18-hole expansion in 1907. There have been three holes on the other side of the road as long as Minikahda was an 18-hole course.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

PCCraig

Well, I played Interlachen and Minikahda 7 days apart this past week. I played them both from the "middle" tees (~6400 @ M, ~6500 at ICC) with the main difference being that ICC was playing very hard and fast while Minikahda had just received a T-Storm dumping of rain prior to me teeing off (0.5 to 1" of water). With the soft greens and almost no wind, I caught Minikahda on the right day with most of my wedge approaches holding and sticking close to where they landed. I ended up shooting 73 with 4 birdies, an eagle on 14, and a double on the 7th :)

However, at ICC I shot a cool ~85 despite having a fantastic day off the tee which left me a bunch of short iron and wedge approaches into the greens. My rookie mistake at ICC was that I wasn't paying enough attention to pin locations and I was leaving myself short approaches to front pins which when rock hard were next to impossible to get close to. Add in a terrible putting day and my 7 on 18  :P and I would lean towards calling ICC the harder course.

Yet, if you played Minikahda from the back tees with the greens firm and stimping around 12? That might be a different story!   
H.P.S.

Jason Topp

I got the opportunity to play Spring Hill in Wayzata, Minnesota on a beautiful day this week.  I did not feel comfortable taking pictures but found this link to a photo series that gives a feel for the place:

http://7minutemiles.com/v/golfing/minnesota-mz/springhill

Spring Hill is an exclusive club with less than 200 members.  The Course was designed by Tom Fazio and is very challenging with holes squeezed between wetlands, hilly terrain and greens that are stoutly defended by both hazards and elevation.  When I got to the first tee I realized that I did not have new golf balls in my bag, which turned out to be a good thing because I sent 2 or 3 into the water.  I cannot imagine how a person who shoots 100 would get around the course.

My sense is that it would be a course I would learn to play conservatively - not my ideal form of golf.  Nonetheless, the greens have plenty of interest at the high speeds they consistently maintain and the par threes provide a wide variety of shots.  Par fives tend to be tee ball in play, layup wedge type holes with the risks of agressive play outweighing any advantage from agressiveness.  The par fours provide a nice variety from the very long and challenging to the very short and tight.  The course was soft on the day we played it, which is probably necessary to get normal golfers around the course in a reasonable time frame.

Normally, I find Fazio courses "comfortable" to play.  They are easy on the eye off the tee and the best strategy for playing the hole is pretty clear to the player.  Spring Hill is the opposite.  One quickly learns that shots one must keep the ball in play or pay a steep price.  Even if one reaches the green, placing the ball in the wrong spot makes par a very diffcult task. 

Spring Hill is a course that forces a player to learn the whether he can truly pull off shots consistently with disaster lurking.  Such a challenge is rare in Minnesota and I hope I get the chance to return again.

Jeff Shelman

Jason,

I have played Spring Hill just once, but I really liked the holes on the south side of the road more than those on the north side of the road.

Things seemed especially squeezed over there.

And the amazing thing about the place is that my understanding is that they've cleaned up a bunch of growth from when it opened and it isn't as penal.

Jason Topp

Jason,

I have played Spring Hill just once, but I really liked the holes on the south side of the road more than those on the north side of the road.

Things seemed especially squeezed over there.

And the amazing thing about the place is that my understanding is that they've cleaned up a bunch of growth from when it opened and it isn't as penal.

I think I agree with both of your observations although I would say the terrain on the south side is pretty severe.  I assume they cleared out the brush under the trees because our group had several playable shots from the trees in areas that look like they would naturally be brush.

Jason Topp

Re: Topp's Travels 2011 - Updated in Reply 96 - Mayhigh visits Northland
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2011, 11:08:09 AM »
     Rather than visit somewhere else this summer, I invited John Mayhugh to visit Minnesota to play in our member guest.  Picking up on the theme from our Wales trip for the Buda last year, we created an itinerary that included some of Minnesota’s most highly regarded courses as well as a sampler of quirk that I knew John would enjoy.  

Unfortunately, the weather in Minnesota has been poor for golf courses this year.  Significant winter kill inflicted damage in many areas.  A cold wet spring kept soils saturated and cold, preventing normal recovery to the grass.  
The new puppy did not mind as she prepped the house and back yard for John’s arrival:

After the wet rainy spring, the weather turned extremely hot and humid for this area.  On the day of John’s arrival, Minneapolis set a record for the highest recorded dewpoint.  

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/updraft/archive/2011/07/twin_cities_dew_point_record_c.shtml

I enjoyed that weather by playing a golf match and getting trounced on the afternoon of John's arrival.  Clearly, my game was set for the onslaught to come.  

John and I drove up to Duluth on Tuesday evening.  Some think of that area of the country as the home of Bob Dylan:

John and I thought of the area in terms of people slurring their speech while arguing about something indecipherable at the hotel bar.  Some may also think of the fresh cool breeze blowing off Lake Superior.  A more powerful memory came from with the strong smell of chlorine wafting out of the indoor hotel pool.  

Cleansed with the sanitized air, we made our way to Northland County Club.  Our round consisted of a mini-GCA outing that included Ben Kodadek, Morgan Clawson, Dan Kelly and our host Chris Tritibaugh, superintendant at Northland.

Northland is one of my favorite places to visit in Minnesota.  It is a challenging course, built on a hillside overlooking Lake Superior.  The greens have little internal contour but are confounding as one constantly needs to gauge how much putts break in the opposite direction than they appear to break.  Despite a number of recent thunderstorms, Chris Tritibaugh had many of the fairways surprisingly firm, as several drives bounced like a superball.

Northland’s routing is also outstanding given the severe slope on the property.  After a downhill opener, you play two holes straight up the hill and thereby get most of the severe climbing out of the way early.  The best holes are in the middle of the course and then you get the fun of playing severely downhill holes with views of Lake Superior as a background.  You finish with a classic Donald Ross long par four to a severely sloped green.Chris explained that members were initially unhappy with the routing because the 9th hole did not return to the clubhouse.  They asked Ross to take a second look.  Ross did and told them the routing needed to stay as is.  My legs thank him.

Early in the day, an easterly breeze kept the temperature comfortable and I expressed optimism that we were in for a pleasant day.  Chris killed those thoughts by informing me that the temperature was normally about 60 degrees with such a wind off the 42 degree water.  Chris proved to be correct and our group resembled a team of mules after a hard day in the field when the round finished.

Here are a few pictures of the course that John took and kindly shared with me:

Approach to 13

10 looking back

Chris showed he was an experienced superintendant.  Near the clubhouse he hit a wide variety of crooked shots and played volleyball with chip shots over the greens.  At the far end of the course he made 3 birdies in a four hole stretch.  He returned to chopping the ball around the green for the closing holes.

Kodadek approaching 18.  He either killed a drive or dumped one in the water on this uphill hole of over 400 yards:

Northland provided a memorable first stop in our jorney.  After a tour of the clubhouse and an opportunity to review a master plan for changes considered at the course, Kodadek, Kelly, Mayhugh and I got in the car for a two hour drive to Big Fish in Hayward, WI.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:12:37 AM by Jason Topp »

Ben Kodadek

Re: Topp's Travels 2011 - Updated in Reply 96 - Mayhugh Visits Northland
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
Killed the drive. 

Unfortunately, it was my second tee ball.  The first came to rest at the mid-point of the NCC clubhouse and Lake Superior.   

John Mayhugh

Re: Topp's Travels 2011 - Updated in Reply 96 - Mayhugh Visits Northland
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »
So I plan a trip to Minnesota to cool off for a few days this summer.  It did not work out that way at all, with some of the highest humidity I've experienced this year.  Northland's uphill holes were a really tough walk in the conditions, especially holes like 3 (370 yards along with 100 feet of climbing) and 10 (400 yards that felt like 500).  Looking at some of my photos, I'm disappointed to see that they do nothing to capture the slopes.

In addition to uphill & downhill, Ross really took advantage of side slopes as well. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back