News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Sand Cap vs. non-Sand Cap at MPCC New
« on: February 09, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
Just played MPCC Dunes and Shore courses this Christmas break and was amazed at the difference in playability due to the underlying engineering of the fairways.
The newly renovated Shore course has a sand cap throughout, and the ball bounced in the fairway even after receiving a deluge of rain the days and nights before.
Additionally this course allowed carts in the fairway and was fully booked for play on the 26th.
On the other hand you have the Dunes course, renovated about 10 years ago without a sand cap.
No bounce in the fairway, 90 degree rule for carts, and a wide open tee sheet.
The members love playing a course where the ball bounces, you get more yardage! And while the membership almost always drives a power cart, the convenience of powering up directly to your ball is massive.
Personally, I loved the Dunes course a bit more than the Shore course. Had the Dunes course been sand capped, then separation would have even been greater for me.
To grow the game, faster and firmer courses all year round should be designed and built, albeit the sand cap is more expensive.
Here’s a picture from 12-27-11 at the Shore course…

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 02:28:04 PM by William Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

Bill_McBride

Re: Sand Cap vs. non-Sand Cap at MPCC
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:50:45 PM »
From what I hear from The Oldest Living Member (as P. G. Wodehouse would say it :)), the members love both courses equally.

I have only played the Shore, but man what a fun course that is!

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:15:44 PM »
Bill, 

The Dunes is also a very good course, however they chose to rumple the fairways instead of sand capping to improve the drainage.  Obviously the more expensive method is more effective. I think I shall imeadiately demand the City of San Diego sand cap Balboa Park so I too can enjoy the bounce of the ball! 
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:15:28 PM »
William Grieve -

It should be noted that, this past December, Northern California got 3 times the amount of rain we get on average for the month. ALL the golf courses around here got soaked to the absolute max.

That being said, you are correct that sand-capping a course can make a huge difference.

DT 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:18:07 PM »
Bill, 

The Dunes is also a very good course, however they chose to rumple the fairways instead of sand capping to improve the drainage.  Obviously the more expensive method is more effective. I think I shall imeadiately demand the City of San Diego sand cap Balboa Park so I too can enjoy the bounce of the ball! 

Good luck with that, let me know how it works out!

William_G

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 11:40:56 PM »
William Grieve -

It should be noted that, this past December, Northern California got 3 times the amount of rain we get on average for the month. ALL the golf courses around here got soaked to the absolute max.

That being said, you are correct that sand-capping a course can make a huge difference.

DT 

Thanks, it was a massive difference in playing style, due to one underlying design element.

FWIW, year in year out, the members like to see their ball bounce, drive their cart, and readily fill the tee sheet at Shore.
It's all about the golf!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 11:47:13 PM »
In 1999 Rees Jones did a renovation job on the Dunes and produced a damn good job. However the requirements set by the Board were restrictive in the extreme. What was required then, as now, was 'sandcapping.' Parts of the Dunes have always been a bog and anything that was done was not sufficent to rectify a problem of some seventy odd years of neglect.

Members of a certain age want to play the Shore because a sclaffed three wood will still roll well over a hundred yards, whereas on the Dunes you could walk fifty yards and find your ball.

I may not live to see it but should the Dunes get the attention needed, it could well replace the Shore in the National Pro Am. However the stunning beauty of the Shore will likely prevail.

Bob

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 12:21:28 AM »

... a sclaffed three wood ...

I usually have to run to the dictionary after one of Bob's posts ...

sclaff  (sklf)

v. sclaffed, sclaff·ing, sclaffs
v.intr.

To scrape or strike the ground with a golf club behind the ball before hitting it.

v.tr.

1. To strike (the ground) with a golf club before hitting the ball.
2. To hit (a ball) in this manner.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:23:30 AM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 06:14:30 AM »
Bob, Mike,
Great Scottish word is sclaff.  It is almost onomatopoeic. Describes a lot of my golf shots... a hybrid arising from a scuff and a laugh! Tragic really.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

William_G

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:41:01 AM »

... a sclaffed three wood ...

I usually have to run to the dictionary after one of Bob's posts ...

sclaff  (sklf)

v. sclaffed, sclaff·ing, sclaffs
v.intr.

To scrape or strike the ground with a golf club behind the ball before hitting it.

v.tr.

1. To strike (the ground) with a golf club before hitting the ball.
2. To hit (a ball) in this manner.

hahahaha
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back