News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

Knollwood Fairways in Pinehurst
« on: January 26, 2011, 04:57:15 PM »
Does anyone have any information about the history of Knollwood Golf Course in Pinehurst?

Was the Tufts involved with building this golf course?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Knollwood Fairways in Pinehurst
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »
JNC,

I  believe the course is relatively new, like 40 or 50 years old. If you don't know it, it's a fun course of around 2700+ yards. The condos around the periphery used to be inexpensive when gauged against other real estate in the area. It has one of the only public driving range/practice areas available off-course w/grass tees.

Nice range/course to warm up at before tackling the other offerings in the area, especially if you haven't had a club in your hand for a few months.

edit: it was built by a man(presumably) named C. A. Pitts. I don't know any more than that.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:39:43 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

rjsimper

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:37:30 PM »
Tufts didnt design or build Knollwood, but is sure seems like it. He beat me 5 and 4 in a 9 hole match there.

Oh, you weren't talking about Bradford Tufts?

It's a great place to swat some balls off grass, but the course itself is little more than a "Just to say I played golf today" social walk in the park.

Chris Buie

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 06:27:26 PM »
I could be wrong but I think "Knollwood" was originally the name for the Pine Needles/Mid Pines area.  There is still a sign there that says as much.  The old postcards seem to bear that out as well.  I think the current Knollwood appropriated the name from their next door neighbor some years ago. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back