News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

More potential advertisers!

I would have thought this would be a very predictable list with all the usual names, and I haven't really pored over it to figure out what they might have missed.  They demoted the New course at St. Andrews down to #40 [a year or two ago, they had it way up among all courses in Scotland], but I guess I was more suprised with the Buddon and Burnside links at Carnoustie at #39 and 41, and Troon Darley [did they rename the Portland course?] at #46, all ahead of Gullane #1.  Indeed, all of the courses in East Lothian seem to be rated a bit below where I'd put them.

They also missed Askernish completely.

Melvyn Morrow

Simple things please simple minds

Another list that will soon be doing the job it was designed for – toilet wipes

Melvyn

Bob_Huntley

Simple things please simple minds

Another list that will soon be doing the job it was designed for – toilet wipes

Melvyn

Your shortest post and the very best.

Bob

David_Tepper

"Your shortest post and the very best."

Bob -

Also his simplest! ;)

DT

Bill_McBride

"Your shortest post and the very best."

Bob -

Also his simplest! ;)

DT

But certainly to the point and on target!

Niall C

Tom,

Re Troon Darley, its the second out of the three muni's at Troon. Second that is in terms of length but IMHO the most fun course in Troon incl. the Old Course and Portland. Like all the Troon courses, originally laid out by Willie Fernie I believe. Its basically an inland links playing over some really interesting up and down terrain with some forced carries, blind shots, a burn, gorse, heather and generally small greens. Perhaps not the same test as Lochgreen which is more a "championship" test but still challenging in a more fun way for the average golfer.

The course is surrounded by housing, two schools and a railway, and has no sea views so there's absolutely no chance you'll get any tourists playing it but its very popular with the locals, and a lot of Glasgow golfers which tells you all you need to know. I haven't played it for a number of years when they had an issue with rubbish and dog walkers on the course but if they have that sorted out then I suggest its a hidden gem for those who want to find it.

Niall

Ivan Lipko

That's interesting, thanks!

David_Tepper

If anyone has seen this list on the web, please post a link. Thanks.

I cannot find it at golfdigest.com

Pete Lavallee

I played Troon Darley while in Troon for the 1989 Open; I'll heartily second the hidden gem nomination!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Sev K-H Keil

1. Royal County Down
2. TOC
3. Muirfield/HCEG
4. Royal Dornoch (Championship)
5. Royal Porthrush
6. Turnberry (Ailsa)
7. Ballybunion (Old)
8. Royal Porthcawl
9. Carnoustie (Championship)
10. Royal Birkdale

11. Sandwich
12. Kingsbarns
13. Castle Stuart
14. North Berwick
15. Royal Troon
16. Lahinch
17. Brancaster
18. St. Enodoc
19. Royal Lytham & St. Annes
20. Royal Aberdeen

21. Machrihanish
22. Royal St. David's
23. Rye
24. Waterville
25. Portmarnock
26. Cruden Bay
27. Hoylake
28. Western Gailes
29. Aberdovey
30. Tenby

31. Silloth on Solway
32. Deal
33. Saunton (East)
34. County Louth
35. Saunton (West)
36. Machrie
37. The European Club
38. Prestwick
39. Carnoustie (Buddon)
40. St. Andrews (New)

41. Carnoustie (Burnside)
42. Formby
43. Nairn
44. Burnham & Berrow (Championship)
45. Troon Daley
46. Tralee
47. Wallasey
48. Gullane No.1
49. Montrose (Medal)
50. Royal Dornoch (Struie)

Sean_A

Hard to believe there is no space for Enniscrone, Co Sligo, The Island and Portstewart.  On the flipside, its interesting that Wallasey gets a mention - thats unusual even if it isn't in the same league as those above.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

David_Tepper

Sev -

Thanks for posting. Most of the usual suspects, but a few curious choices as well.

DT  

Adrian_Stiff

I guess its all about opinions. I cant see the members at Tenby even thinking they are superior to Prestwick and Carnoustie's Buddon over the New, Jubillee and Eden takes some ****
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

JNC Lyon

No Brora, No List.  Come on, Brora behind the Struie???  I'm done with this list.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mark Chaplin

Standard tourist ratings
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

Royal St Georges at 11?

Any of those in the 20s above Silloth?

Usual crap.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jud_T

37 courses better than Prestwick?  Guess I need to do a more thorough examination...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back