News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bradley Anderson

Re: Mysteries
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »
Connellan was the greenkeeper at Newton Square in Boston in 1900. He laid out the nine hole course Bellevue GC at Melrose, MA in 1899. The turf for the Friendship course reportedly came from Switzerland. I didn't know Switzerland had good turf, and that doesn't seem like a match climate wise. I suspect the reporter got his European country wrong.

Tom,

According to his great grandson, the bentgrass variety that was used on the Friendship course was propagated on his turf nursery business in Michigan. He named the variety Friendship, after the Friendship course , where presumably he was quite pleased with the grass that was planted there. I would like to learn more about this bentgrass variety because it is likely that Connellan would have used it on all the greens that he remodeled and built in the 1920's.

Chris,

Yes this is the same Connellan that partnered with Wilfrid Reid.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2011, 12:06:19 PM »
Connellan was the greenkeeper at Newton Square in Boston in 1900. He laid out the nine hole course Bellevue GC at Melrose, MA in 1899. The turf for the Friendship course reportedly came from Switzerland. I didn't know Switzerland had good turf, and that doesn't seem like a match climate wise. I suspect the reporter got his European country wrong.

Tom,

I am working on a time line of Reid and Connellan and if you can share those references with me I sure would appreciate it.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »
Bradley/Tom,

I'm not sure if this is relevant but in 1901 there was a "Hugh" Connellan who was Caddie Master at Brookline in MA.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2011, 06:36:50 AM »

Tom,

I am working on a time line of Reid and Connellan and if you can share those references with me I sure would appreciate it.

That came from the 1900 Harpers Golf Guide which you can find on the USGA site.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back