News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Malcolm,

In additon to not being able to move my two-pronged metal ball mark repair tool once I imbedded it into the turf, I did comment on the sound of the golf ball when I dropped it on the putting surface, over and over again.

I think the golfer leaving the F&F environment adjusts quicker because he expects softer conditions.
I was expecting F&F, but, I was surprised at how much more F&F the putting surfaces were.

AClayman,

Years ago I commented on how the golfer liked the distances the solid balls were going, but, how they complained about not being able to hold the green on their approaches and recoveries, especially from the rough.

Unfortunately in America, member complaints are often acted upon without a thorough analysis of the perceived problem.
I can recall sitting through Board meeting after Board meeting when certain members complained about course conditions and changing them because, according to their golfing experiences, something was wrong with the golf course.
RARELY, were they challenged by the Green Chairman and/or President, with the retort, "perhaps the course is fine and the problem lies with your golf game".. Instead, the Green Chairman/committee and unfortunately the superintendent were forced to jump through hoops to satisfy a squeaky wheel who held a vote, or a charade was implemented so as to appear to cater to his whims.
Both situations were distasteful to me.
I prefered the blunt, truthful answer, but, few had the desire to stand their ground.

John Shimp

Pat
Great topic and some memorable posts.

It's hard to get that f and f culture going I think for a place that has had a different one. Palmetto in Aiken has all the making for f and f and plays that way for much of the year. Thiswinter the Bermuda needed a break and they skipped the overseed. Of course it is playing beautifully but there is a real split at the club that will likely lead to over seed in the future.  People like the look and being able to use a 60 around the greens.  It's a shame there as it costs money, causes swing season condition issues, hurts growing Bermuda in the summer, etc. 

Adam Clayman

Patrick, I'm of the opinion to try to appease everyone. But, that rarely works out. Since golf is different, maybe it would for golf.

What I'm remembering is my days at Pinon Hills when they were forced to go to a day on day off watering schedule.

Not only did the course come alive every other day, it was playable, every other day, for those who think golf should be played with soft conditions.

Like other aspects of turf, I would think the science would rule. Informing members that the over watering leads to increase disease pressure as well as costs, should convince most. As for the remainder, well, they would just need to go play somewhere else.

Of course you and I have a disconnect, as your experience is with all private clubs while most of mine is with publics. The public golfer has to deal with what is presented, whether they like it or not.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back