News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: "Discovering Donald Ross", second edition
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 09:48:47 AM »
I made the plunge and bought the second edition.  Brad is underselling the value of this book.  I think the section on Pinehurst represents a significant addition to the original edition and is well worth the purchase.  Brad was very accomodating in meeting a tight deadline for delivery with so far as I can tell no additional charge.  Folks should seriously consider purchasing this book even if you own the original edition.  For those without the original this is a no-brainer; buy the book - you won't regret it.

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 11:08:43 AM »
Brad, are you going to list Minneapolis Golf Club as a Ross redesign in the new edition? And, less seriously, what about Cloquet (Minn.) Country Club, which persistently claims its original nine is a Ross?

Is there some question out there that Ross redid MGC?
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Brad Klein

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 11:38:10 AM »
Glad to say that the extra pallets in the garage came in handy the night Hurricane Irene hit; got my exercise moving them at 3 a.m.

They are high and dry and available through a dedicated Website:

http://www.discoveringdonaldross.com

PCCraig

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 12:03:29 PM »
Brad, are you going to list Minneapolis Golf Club as a Ross redesign in the new edition? And, less seriously, what about Cloquet (Minn.) Country Club, which persistently claims its original nine is a Ross?

Is there some question out there that Ross redid MGC?

Guys,

It's been about a week since I've looked at it, but in the new edition MGC is listed as a Ross course that's hosted a Major, but I think it was omitted from the actual complete list of Ross courses. I'll have to double check.
H.P.S.

Brad Klein

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »
Good catch, Pat. I'm already compiling a list to be changed for the 3rd edition. And that one will have a whole new cover! BSK

Mike Cirba

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »
Brad,

Regarding the unchanged cover, Jen is going to question my sanity when she sees a book she's quite aware I own arrive again in the mail.  

I'll have some explaining to do...any suggested response?   His and Her's comes to mind.

Brad Klein

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 12:36:28 PM »
I'm now working with a printer on a MAD Magazine wrap-around for the 2nd edition; I didn't realize until recently how how much Alfred E. Neumann looks like DJR.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 12:44:08 PM »
There has been long-standing doubt that Ross re-did Minneapolis Golf Club, because his office did not include it on the list of Ross courses. I go into some lengthy detail about this in my book on Minnesota courses, but the gist of the evidence says this:

When MGC moved from its original site in Golden Valley, Willie Park, Jr. came to Minneapolis and designed a course for the new club in the fall of 1916. Park did not return to Minneapolis. Over the winter MGC hired Bill Clark as their head pro and turned the project over to him, with the understanding that he would finish what Park started. Within two years the club decided they needed to move its clubhouse from the south end of the property to the north, necessitating a re-design, which would include some new holes. They first contacted Herbert Strong, but in April 1920 the club members balked at the expense of a new clubhouse and Strong's preliminary plans were shelved. Then in June of 1920 club president J.A. Hunter announced that Donald Ross was going to be brought in that September to propose a re-design of the course.

The club has no documents pertaining to the hiring of Ross -- maybe they were lost during the transition to the new clubhouse in the early '20s, or during a major clubhouse fire in the late '50s -- but former club member John Crowley, who found Willie Park's original blueprints for MGC at an engineer's office, also located a drawing of the new layout in the Donald Ross archives at Pinehurst, mis-labled as "Minneapolis Country Club." The Ross drawing is identical to the current layout.

Why Ross didn't list MGC as one of his projects remains a mystery, but the evidence is pretty convincing that he did the re-design.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Mark McKeever

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 12:58:47 PM »
Got mine a few weeks ago and its been a great read thus far.  Thanks again for the heads up!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Brad Klein

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2011, 01:10:43 PM »
Rick, the only list from the Ross office I have seen is the little pamphlet he did up, probably in 1930-31. The courses are listed in reverse chronological order by state. There's no mention of Minneapolis GC but also none of White Bear Yacht Club. It's not a complete list based upon what I see from other states -- there are some gaps of courses and even of whole states (Shawnee CC/Kansas). There's also nothing listed as far as I can tell from 1931+, so if he did the work there in the 1930s that might explain its absence.

Brad

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2011, 03:34:03 PM »
Thanks, Brad. By the way, my copy of the second edition of "Discovering Donald Ross" arrived today, and I'm very pleased with it. It's both a beautiful book and crammed with information. Great work.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 10:17:54 PM »
I'm now working with a printer on a MAD Magazine wrap-around for the 2nd edition; I didn't realize until recently how how much Alfred E. Neumann looks like DJR.

What, me worry ?

Crackers to slip are rotzy to dropsy in snide. ;D

"Discovering Donald Ross" is a terrific coffee table book and a terrific, informative read.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back