News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kline

Re: The Original 8th Hole on Pinehurst #3
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 01:20:14 PM »
After #2, I think #3 has the most architectural merit of the 8 Pinehurst resort courses. There are some very interesting greens and good holes on the course. And, I guarantee you will not shoot as low as you think you will just looking at the scorecard. However, I almost never play #3. Because a lot of the older members play it, the fairways and greens are often very shaggy. If the #3 course was maintained better (it doesn't greens 11 on the stimp and all that, just better than it is) it would be an absolute blast to play.

All along when #4 was being redesigned I said instead of having Fazio to do it they should make it like Old Pinehurst - like what they are doing with #2. The fact is the bones of some great holes are there at Pinehurst, but the skin has gotten a little loose and flabby. I really hope the restoration of #2 is just the beginning but I tend to doubt it. Don't want to get my hopes up.

Chris Buie

Re: The Original 8th Hole on Pinehurst #3
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 05:39:52 PM »
I found this image of the original 16th on #3 yesterday.  It is apparently from the Fifties - before the condos.  You can see for yourself how it compares with today's version - now the 14th hole.  Like a lot of holes on #3, it hasn't changed a great deal in how it plays.  The older green does seem to cant a bit though.  The hole is more uphill that the photos convey - and it played 213 yards in 1922.  That would have to be a driver for just about everybody then.  Ross did like those very long one shot holes - often on courses that weren't meant to be stern tests.  I wouldn't have called it a par 3 or a par 4 then.  I like that.  Forget about par - just put a hole out there that is designed well and let the player have at it. In fact, I love "half-par holes".  Your shot is not dictated to you - you have to exercise a bit of creativity.  Or at least attempt to.
It's funny because I always have to remind myself not to swing too hard on seriously uphill shots - or into a strong wind.  That is my natural reaction to those shots - but not smart because you'll throw your timing off and there goes that shot running off in the wrong direction.  I have to remind myself to use my regular swing - just hit more club.  But even then I sometimes still have my timing thrown off a bit by that uphill visual. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back