News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Malcolm Mckinnon

Greens: mildly contoured and lightning fast vs angry seas
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:13:19 PM »
Which is the most vexing green complex?

The green with enormous contours but medium speed or the green with subtle contours yet like putting on linoleum?

What courses feature these opposing green styles?

Ie: medium speed/angry seas are to Pine Valley as subtle/linoleum are to Merion (except the 5th, angry sea plus linoleum).

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Greens: mildly contoured and lightning fast vs angry seas
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:23:12 PM »
Channeling your inner Longhurst, I see.  Nicely done.

The topic is of some debate around here and golf in general.  I have always thought both about equal, but others opinions may vary.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Chris Cupit

Re: Greens: mildly contoured and lightning fast vs angry seas
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:07:01 PM »
I much prefer wild seas and medium fast. Vexing at least for strong players is never pure speed.  In general very fast is very smooth and smooth and fast means strong players (strong putters) will make a bunch of putts.  Only when a player is forced to play break outside the hole even on shortish (4-5) foot putts is he or she really vexed in my opinion.

I've played PV and the greens may have been a tad slow that day but I think they are as interesting and great a set of greens as I have seen. #2 green!?!?  Amazing.

I'm not sure I'd call Merion "subtle" but in disproving my comments above I found it far more difficult to score on.  Greens 3, 5, 9, 12, 15, 16, and 17 are subtle???  Anyway, excellent topic and give me wild, seas any day.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back