News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Time for New Rules?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
I think Scott Adams saw Mark King's rant.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »

He's the Modern face of golf, proving that money runs the game and not The R&A

The only new rule I would like to see is based upon all the manufactures being required to standardize their equipment in line with what THE GOLFERS WANT.

All this can be resolved but just how strong is The Resolve at the R&A, seems to be a poor second to Money, Money, Money, so we have the Manufacturers forcing the issues – a sort of tail wagging the dog.

It’s all Fracked Up, but that’s the result of ineffective leadership.

Melvyn

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 03:35:20 PM »
The only new rule I would like to see is based upon all the manufactures being required to standardize their equipment in line with what THE GOLFERS WANT.

If that were the case we'd all be hitting it 300+ yards.   
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Doug Siebert

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »
The problem with suggestions like these is they don't really change the gap between good and bad golfers all that much, they just change where it happens.  With a 4 1/4" cup, a good putter will make half his putts from 6 or 8 feet, whatever it is.  A bad putter's half and half distance might be 3 or 4 feet.  A good putter might 3 putt once every couple rounds, a bad putter might three putt 5 times a round.

So you switch to a 15" cup.  Now the bad putter's half and half distance is 6 to 8 feet just like the good putter....except the good putter's half and half distance is probably 13 to 15 feet now!  The bad putter might three putt only once per round, but the good putter has 4 or 5 more one putts per round so little if anything is gained.

Think about the opposite, and imagine we went to a 2" cup.  Now one footers would be sweated over by the guys who sweat over three footers, and three putts would happen a lot more often even for good putters.  For bad putters 3 putts would become commonplace, and 4 putts would become their new bugaboo.  Of course, the main problem with a 2" cup is that no one would ever have a hole in one ever again, so Shivas would be forever denied ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »
this guy is the best reason yet for entrusting the rules to a small group of amateurs, with no financial stake in the game.

changing the rules is nuts. its a 150 acre playing field, every one is different, its played on every habitable continent in all kinds of conditions (see last week's Bahrain course ...) and the players move from one place to another, playing globally so we need one set of rules.

you can play golf and never touch a rule book if you

play your ball from the tee and never touch it until you pick it from the hole.

dont ground your club or touch water in a hazard.  if you are not sure, dont ground your club.

if you move it other than during a stroke or the ball moves after address, , put it back and charge yourself a shot

if it hits you or your stuff after a shot, play it and charge yourself a shot

if you lose it -anywhere-hit it ob or or you cant play it, go back to where you last hit from and hit another-you guessed it, one shot.

everything else makes it easier--so ignore that stuff if u want and use just the five rules above  you wont go wrong.   

somebody explain pass interferance to me, and tell me the rules of golf are complicated.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back