News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Miller

Here are two good ones:

Which state (U.S.) in the lower 48 has the northernmost point?

Which is farther west, the most southern point in a U.S. state (all) or the most northern point?

Ben Sims

the airplane routes always amaze me.Chicago to Bejing and New Dehli often flies as close as they can to the north pole(the navigational limit is 60 miles from the poles because old technology reverses the compass if you hit the pole.)Dallas to London flies up the St Lawrence over Montreal.

Back when I was in the C-17, we would routinely fly "get home" legs from Ramstein, Germany direct to Travis AFB, CA.  The first time we entered US airspace?  Somewhere in Montana.  That should tell you how the great circle works. 

Ken Moum

Here are two good ones:

Which is farther west, the most southern point in a U.S. state (all) or the most northern point?

My home state of Minnesota gets the first one.  Remember the NW Angle

The other ones gotta be Hawaii, without looking.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

David_Tepper

Which city is further west, Los Angeles, CA or Reno, NV?

Tom_Doak

Here are two good ones:

I think Alaska (the Aleutians) are furthest west -- remember, you can see Russia from there.  It helps that when you get that far north, you don't have to go nearly as many miles to gain another degree of longitude.

But, I probably wouldn't have gotten the other question right, I'd have thought Maine.

Matthew Hunt

On a slightly more parochial note, which British city is furthest east; Edinburgh, Liverpool, or Bristol?

No peeking!

Because of GB's slant Bristol i'd quess?

Alex Miller

Here are two good ones:

I think Alaska (the Aleutians) are furthest west -- remember, you can see Russia from there.  It helps that when you get that far north, you don't have to go nearly as many miles to gain another degree of longitude.

But, I probably wouldn't have gotten the other question right, I'd have thought Maine.

Correct, Tom. It's pretty close though, less than a degree of longitude.

Also correct, Ken. It's amazing the percentage of people (who don't live in Minnesota) who get that one wrong.

mike_beene

Duncan,that is interesting.The problem is I first learned geography on a flat map and can only think east west. also ,I have heard it said that Alaska is the northernmost,easternmost and westernmost spot in the US,based on the reach of the aleautions.Big Island Hawaii is southernmost.The Panama canal is due south of what us city?

Marty Bonnar

the airplane routes always amaze me.Chicago to Bejing and New Dehli often flies as close as they can to the north pole(the navigational limit is 60 miles from the poles because old technology reverses the compass if you hit the pole.)Dallas to London flies up the St Lawrence over Montreal.

Back when I was in the C-17, we would routinely fly "get home" legs from Ramstein, Germany direct to Travis AFB, CA.  The first time we entered US airspace?  Somewhere in Montana.  That should tell you how the great circle works. 

Bloody Hell, Ben,
the Globemaster could do that in one hop??? What's the distance from Ramstein to Travis????? C-17 range normally about 2500nm?? Extra tanks? Man, I love the smell of Kerosene in the morning!
cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Carl Nichols

Are the Aleutians the most northern point in Alaska?

mike_beene

not the most northern,but they give the eastern point because they cross the east west line,I think.Alaska,with or without the islands gives you north and west.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back