News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

I have no idea whether the course in Bahrain is good or not but from television it looks very interesting.    It has garnered a fair amount of criticism from the players and therein lies the dilemma:

According to Alister Mackenzie a good golf hole should create controversy.  But, if the players do not like the course they will not return.

Wade Whitehead

Professionals aren't concerned with playing great golf courses.  They want to play where they can win.

We shouldn't expect that those who play for a living would hold any interest for architecture, at least as it applies to the courses on which they make their living.

WW

Jason Topp

Professionals aren't concerned with playing great golf courses.  They want to play where they can win.

We shouldn't expect that those who play for a living would hold any interest for architecture, at least as it applies to the courses on which they make their living.

WW

Probably true but many of the best events are held on great architecture - Open Championship, Masters, Riviera etc.

Matt Kardash

The PGA tour players signed a petition to never again have a tournament at the Stadium course at PGA West. Last I checked that was a pretty interesting golf course. That's all you need to know about the average tour player.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Ian Andrew

I don’t understand why we ask or care about their opinion on architure during the tournament, particularly when someone is clearly struggling. Golf Professionals use the technique of denial in order to maintain their confidence. They blame the spectators, gusts of wind, conditions, the set-up, maintenance and even architecture in order to justify why they haven’t played better.

It’s because it's so tough at their level to keep your confidence when the difference between playing well and missing the cut can be so fine a line. Almost every professional will find something that was amiss that was not in their hands. It then makes it easier to go into the following week with all their confidence intact.

As an architect, you must understand this will happen. I think it’s inevitable someone will blame the design, unless it has long been acknowledged as an outstanding piece of architecture, then they will need another foil. The winner is likely to think the conditioning was prefect and the design very good, the player missing the cut will tell you same greens were bumpy and the design sucked.

Jason Topp

If augusta national hosted a new tour event would there be a petition to avoid the course in ensuiing years?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back