News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Grasty

Let me start this post by stating that I took up golf late in life and had my first lesson in Nov. 2004.  I also don't get out of the Dallas-Ft Worth area very often.  In fact, the only other golf I've played other than around Dallas is Tucson, AZ, St. Kitts and Cancun.  I was also standing on the practice green at Kapalua with a tear in my eye, unable to play due to an injured shoulder.

Yesterday, reading the thread on "The next breakout architect", I realized that one guy designed all the courses that I've played my best, most fun golf.

Indian Creek Golf Club (Creek Course):  This was the course on which I first became a bogey golfer, shooting 90.  I actually had a 40 on the front, but made a mess of the back.

Cowboys Golf Club:  I have many great memories on this course.  Last December, I'm standing on the 11th tee at +3, the best golf I've ever played through 10 holes.  Made a mess of the rest... but I was still grinning when I walked off the course.  A year or so back, I hit the first 6 greens in regulation, a personal best.  Another time, I'm on the 18th with a chance to shoot a personal best... never mind, that was a mess.  That's when I learned I never want to know what the score is until I'm adding them up in the clubhouse.

Squaw Valley Golf Club:  Last June, I played in a two day, 2-man best ball (net) tournament in the Grapevine Golf Association.  My golf buddy and I played brother-in-law golf perfectly. On the first day, I shot my personal best 87 at the time (net 64) as we won the event by 5 strokes and also cleaned up in the Calcutta.

Westridge Golf Club:  Last July, on a sunny, windy day, I shot my personal best 86 on this course.  I also shot my personal best 9-holes, 38 on the front with 3 birdies.

Tangle Ridge Golf Club:  During the Christmas break, there was one day with fabulous weather, and I played a four-man skins with my golf buddies (with carry-overs).  I won 12 skins, including 6 skins on the final hole with a par.  At one point, I hit a sand wedge into a par-5 green and apparently spun it back (I couldn't see the surface of the green from where I was playing).  One of my buddies screams:  "He backed up that wedge! That pro bastard is giving us strokes from now on!"  Is there anything funner than winning skins?

So what is it about this guy that makes his courses so much fun?  First, wide fairways, so hackers like me can keep the ball in play.  Sure, the fairways are wide, but there's always a spot you need to hit in order to have the best approach into the green.  Around the green, there is usually a way to run the ball in instead of always having to hit the ball high in the air and land it soft.  His green contours are interesting but not severe, so that good putters can really show their skills.  Lots of interesting hole positions that make the course play differently from day to day.  Bunkering is spectacular without being penal.

Fun is really what great architecture is all about, in my opinion.  So, who is this guy??? ;-)

Craig Van Egmond

Re: I discover one architect designed all my favorite golf courses
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 03:39:42 PM »

Joe,

I have played almost all of the courses you mentioned and I believe the architect you refer to builds courses that are fun to play, that look tough but you can still score on. And he tosses in some pretty cool greens too.  I think he realizes most of us golfers want to enjoy the game.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:38:21 PM »
The guy who did those courses worked with Couples.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 10:23:55 AM »

Too bad he never actually met the guy...

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:31:10 AM »

Too bad he never actually met the guy...

If that were true, which i seriously doubt.....wouldn't the evidently positive results make that a good thing?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:34:58 AM »
Jeff Warne,

Its twue...Its twue.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 10:36:27 AM »
This thread seems to prove that you do need to be a good golfer to properly evaluate architecture.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 10:48:59 AM »
Indian Creek was my favorite public course in Dallas in the early 80's.  I remember having the place to myself one day and playing two balls all the way around.  I see from the web-site where Jeff has done some new work there.  Specially, the 16th looks different as I recall it being a severe dogleg right par four around the river with the option to bite off as much as you dare.  Correct?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Joe Grasty

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 04:26:16 PM »
This thread seems to prove that you do need to be a good golfer to properly evaluate architecture.

I'll assume this quote was meant for me, so can you tell me how I've failed to properly evaluate the architecture of the courses listed?

John Kirk

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »

I'll assume this quote was meant for me, so can you tell me how I've failed to properly evaluate the architecture of the courses listed?

Don't let that guy ruffle your feathers.  You did fine.  It seems some of your enjoyment comes from having the sense that you are playing well, that you have a chance to score.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »

Joe,

That wasn't meant for you, it was a slam at my good friend Brauer.  +<|:-)#

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 02:29:53 PM »
I see Jeff pulled one over on Ran, and got himself registered with a pseudonym.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Grasty

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 10:45:24 PM »
I see Jeff pulled one over on Ran, and got himself registered with a pseudonym.

Now that's funny.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 11:42:35 PM »
I'm not saying this to kiss up to Jeff (even though I should so I can crash on his couch for the Super Bowl) but some of his work are some of my favorite courses in the North Texas area, people always give my funny looks when I say how much I loved Ridgeview Ranch. Jeff's work is very good and provides some of the best affordable options in the Metroplex.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 12:07:48 AM »
Damn, registering under an alias would have been cheaper than paying Joe that $50.....no wonder I am not a top rated gca....my marketing skills stink!

Thanks for the nice comments on my courses, and I am glad you enjoyed them.  I would like to show my appreciation, but offering the couch is out of the question, as currently even that is occupied with returning college age children.  Unless of course, you are willing to pay the going rate of  $5000 per night over the weekend, in which case, we can talk.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 08:43:39 PM »
Jeff,

I must compliment you on the set of clubs you play.

Wishon Golf 919THI driver, Wishon 7-B2P Driver Shaft
Wishon Golf 525FD, Wishon 7-B2P Driver Shaft
Wishon Golf 919THI 5-wood, 7-B2P Fairway Shaft
Wishon Golf 915FH 4-hybrid, 7-B2P Fairway Shaft
Wishon Golf 770CFE Irons, True Temper Black Gold, 5-AW
Wishon Golf CX Micro Wedges, 56° and 60°
Wishon Golf CLF Series 1 Putter

Isn't that 919 a sweet driver?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Grasty

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 11:07:30 AM »
Jeff,

I must compliment you on the set of clubs you play.

Wishon Golf 919THI driver, Wishon 7-B2P Driver Shaft
Wishon Golf 525FD, Wishon 7-B2P Driver Shaft
Wishon Golf 919THI 5-wood, 7-B2P Fairway Shaft
Wishon Golf 915FH 4-hybrid, 7-B2P Fairway Shaft
Wishon Golf 770CFE Irons, True Temper Black Gold, 5-AW
Wishon Golf CX Micro Wedges, 56° and 60°
Wishon Golf CLF Series 1 Putter

Isn't that 919 a sweet driver?

Ha, ha, very funny. 

Yes, it's a great driver.  I drove the 7th on Bluebonnet at Grapevine Golf Club yesterday and promptly 3-putted for par, which shows the kind of day I had.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back