News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Monday January 24th - Mike in NYC

Monday January 24th - Dr Gene at Cypress Point Club - 16th Hole  235 yards  3 wood to 10 feet

I guess I missed that email from Dr Gene!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:55:31 AM by Mike Sweeney »

George Pazin

Re: I am typically not the jealous type but ..... (better size now)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 12:11:09 PM »
That was one pic that deserved to be huge. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Szabo

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 12:42:32 PM »
Count me in the jealous camp.  Although if there's a more deserving gentleman out there I haven't had the good fortune to meet him.

Did he make the putt?
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 12:49:26 PM »

Did he make the putt?

Did he fly it into the back bunker?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mark McKeever

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 01:02:45 PM »
Very jealous.  I'm starting to think we may never see grass again in southeast PA.  (as snow falls outside my office window)

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 01:21:14 PM »

Did he make the putt?

Did he fly it into the back bunker?

Its never happened. Except for you.

Gene Greco

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:51:07 PM »
Without question I've been very fortunate.

First ones off, no one else on the course for a couple of hours, a bright sunny day on the Monterey Peninsula, 68 f, slight breeze out of the north.

In this picture of, in my case, a rare balanced follow through, my 3 wood managed to land the ball in the appropriate spot and stop within 10 feet of the cup.

Missed the putt.  

But as Ken Venturi always says, "Take the par and walk away quietly."
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:53:33 PM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »
Gene,

At lunch you said all four of you hit the green; was any swing as elegant as yours?

Every day this week has been nirvana, cold in the morning and short sleeved shirts during the day. One can see to Hawaii.

I understand that you are still the Leading Money spender in the shop.

Bob

Lou_Duran

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:13:01 PM »
This is not the same Gene Greco I met many years ago.  From the back, the man might be mistaken for Angel Cabrera.

It's 70* here and jealousy is an understatement.  What I would do to set my foot on the course and par that hole!

Mike Sweeney- great picture.  The Dallas straw-brown environs aren't much to look at, but it is much more comfortable here.

Ben Sims

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »
Jealousy is such an ugly emotion.  Then, again, I've never been accused of being pretty.

Great picture.  I rode within a couple hundred yards of that spot on my honeymoon and my wife kept asking, "whats the big deal?"  

Luckily, I didn't annul at that moment.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 03:20:10 PM »

That looks like a nice hole.

Anthony

Gene Greco

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 03:30:59 PM »
Bob:

It was great seeing you again!

Sharing a fine repast and a gin and tonic with you while overlooking Stillwater Cove on a sunny day...

Once again you had us all enthralled while weighing in on the various topics of discussion.

My swing paled in comparison to my playing partners, two of whom I had also travelled with to Ireland and Scotland some thirteen and ten years ago. They are bombers but smooth and drove more greens on par 4s on those trips than I can remember.

The +2 hncp used a three iron to hit the back of the green and had a thirty foot putt for bird and the scratch used a 4 wood to hit to about 18 feet.

The third gentleman, who was more my speed, flushed a driver onto the front of the green.

No birdies made but the caddie did say since the back tee had been restored we were the first group to all hit the green.

It was good seeing you in fine spirits. Best to you and Leslie.

Gene    

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »
Wow!!!  Is GiGi travelling with Aidan Bradley in tow to document the good times these days?  The best photo my Dentist can display on his office wall is him with Willie Davis shaking his hand.  Put that pic on the ceiling above the patient chair for them to stare at Gene, and they won't even need anathesia.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim Colton

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 04:09:29 PM »
Nice shot Gene! I'm extremely jealous because I still have nightmares about my one swing on that hole last year.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 04:09:48 PM »
Monday January 24th - Mike in NYC

You should sell this picture to the Travelers. Trade for a round (or several) at Cypress Point!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike Hendren

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »
That follow-through is too smooth and the physique too athletic to be Gene.    No way.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »
Monday January 24th - Dr Gene at Cypress Point Club - 16th Hole  235 yards  3 wood to 10 feet

GENE...smmmmmooooootttttthhhhh...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 04:40:46 PM »
You want to talk about jealously?

I look at that picture (after looking out my snowy window) and it strikes me that Mr. Greco is, quite simply, a better human being than I am. A more deserving person.  A kinder, gentler, smarter iteration of human-kind, one with fine manners and even better grooming. A stand up guy; a prince among men, reaping the sweet fruits of well-earned good karma.  I don't know him, but he is probably one of those men who manages to be all at once a loving husband and a great dad, a community-minded volunteer, a generous contributer to good causes, a gracious neighbour to all, a beloved boss, an expert in his field, a success, a patriot, adept at all his many hobbies, a loyal and dependable friend, and soft-hearted to all small animals and birds.  

No, no, I'm not jealous....I just want to BE him....

Nice thread, Mike. And hey - I think you're a stand up guy too!!

Peter

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:50:57 PM by PPallotta »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 04:52:20 PM »
I look at that picture (after looking out my snowy window) and it strikes me that Mr. Greco is, quite simply, a better human being than I am. A more deserving person.  A kinder, gentler, smarter iteration of human-kind, one with fine manners and even better grooming. A stand up guy; a prince among men, reaping the sweet fruits of well-earned good karma.  I don't know him, but he is probably one of those men who manages to be all at once a loving husband and a great dad, a community-minded volunteer, a generous contributer to good causes, a gracious neighbour to all, a beloved and generous boss, a success, a patriot, a loyal and dependable friend, and soft-hearted to all small animals and birds.  

That was my first thought, too.

About you, that is!

I mean, the Al Franken Decade is long since past. Someone's gotta step up to the plate.

The Peter Pallotta Decade.

Has a nice ring to it -- don't you think?

Hey, we could do worse!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tim Martin

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 04:55:50 PM »

Gene- That`s a great position at the finish. Good stuff.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 04:58:54 PM »
Well thank you, Dan, that is very kind of you.

Would it be ill-suited of me to say "Ah, from you mouth to god's ear"?

(Mind you, my ambitions are of a modest and homely kind compared to Mr. Franken's).

Hope all is well

Peter

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 05:29:58 PM »
Nice swing and verrrrrrry nice place to swing it.

Dan,
How does The Peter Pallotta Period sound to you?

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

John Mayhugh

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 05:35:21 PM »
Good for Gene.  Beats winter by a lot.  Hey, it beats summer too.

I'm just glad Sweeney told us which hole was featured in the photo. I would have been wondering all day....

Tim Martin

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »
Nice swing and verrrrrrry nice place to swing it.

Dan,
How does The Peter Pallotta Period sound to you?

Cheers Colin

Colin-I like it. He could employ the Peter Pallotta Principle during the Peter Pallotta Period.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 05:46:59 PM »

Gene- That`s a great position at the finish. Good stuff.

A dead ringer for Angel Cabrera!  Now just put a 3 iron in your hand and it would be perfect.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back