News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rory Connaughton

Re: Moment of truth...towels
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 01:11:17 PM »
In addition to being blinding, the McKeever Smurf Blue is large enough to have a picnic on in the event that the round is moving slowly.
Also large enough to serve double duty as a comforter in the off season.

Tim Martin

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »
In addition to being blinding, the McKeever Smurf Blue is large enough to have a picnic on in the event that the round is moving slowly.

Mark-If Rory is right you got a helluva deal on the Smurf Blue for $4. Was that after the coupon?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 01:29:11 PM »

Rory, I have been known to take a seat on my towel when Im waiting!  Im pretty sure it was 4 bucks.  It may have been on sale?  I can't imagine anyone decorating their bathroom with that color...

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

PCCraig

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 01:54:06 PM »
I've grown to enjoy the "Players Towel" which is growing in popularity. Perfect size, light, microfiber golf towel. But they're expensive at $15+
H.P.S.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
Played Cherokee Plantation once on a charity auction deal a friend bought.
The course won't sell us a hat or a shirt at all.
Got the scorecard, pencil, and pictures.
Luckily the forecaddy forgets the CP logo towel on my bag.
I love that towel. 

Joe Bausch

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2011, 02:33:41 PM »

Rory, I have been known to take a seat on my towel when Im waiting!  Im pretty sure it was 4 bucks.  It may have been on sale?  I can't imagine anyone decorating their bathroom with that color...

Mark

What this thread should have taught you Mark is that the old 5-finger discount can't be beat!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Brian Marion

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 02:36:31 PM »
I will give you some documented, hard facts on the matter.

We built our own laundry in early 2010 and brought all of our linen and towel service in house.  We have
500 members and do about 20,000 rounds per year.  I ordered 600 hunter green hand towels that we
use on the golf carts.  I was down to 100 after 8 months (Jan-Aug) and we had to reload.

I witnessed it first hand at one of our Board member's boys little league game.  Another club member's
son was on the team.  It started raining so he ran to his car and came back with six hunter green hand
towels.  He dried off the bleachers then left them laying there on the ground.  I waited until he left then
snatched them up and took them back to the club.

As for plush locker room towels... ordered 200... I am down to 100.

Morale of this story... do not inventory your towels.  Consider them an annual expense.

You did add the cost to his bill, yes? ;-)

Lifting a towel is stealing. What's the difference between a towel and a $400.00 golf club besides the cost. What if someone stole $400.00 worth of towels? At what point is there a problem.

I "borrowed" a whistle once from the basketball coach when I was 7 years old. My grandfather beat my a** after he heard me blow it in the yard I had no answer other than "I found it" which he knew better. He then made me return it to the coach personally with an apology.

Lesson learned.....

Kirk Gill

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 03:10:51 PM »
I was recently a guest at a private club, and before I went out to play I grabbed some tees, a pencil, and a ball-mark repair tool from a counter in the pro shop. There were two kinds of repair tools, so I took one of the fancier ones, with the club logo on it.

the next day I was playing with my host at another of his clubs. He noticed the repair tool, and commented that he liked it. When I said I'd grabbed it along with my tees and pencil, he said he didn't think that those tools were supposed to be free.

Doh !

I'm mentioning this because at some clubs there's a lot of complimentary stuff laying around. While I'm sure there are some folks who have the intent to steal a towel, isn't it possible that some just think that they're part of the price of admission?

Two more things - I didn't make it back to the first club to return or pay for the repair tool, and John, I think it was Rosemary and Leno LaBianca's milk.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Mike_Young

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »
I agree w John re tipping is not paying for the towel...after I came to that conclusion, I was at Laurel Valley and wanted one of the shower towels with the name down the center....so I asked the locker room attendant and he said no one had ever asked to pay but they lost a lot of towels each year....he asked the GM and he said sure...leave $10.  I felt better about that one....AND now have found you can usually ask the golf shop ot sell you a caddy bibb....great for bar b ques....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »
Mike,
At least you have the course name on each purloined towel, should be a 'snap' returning them all.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Terry Lavin

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 04:04:04 PM »
These days I might snab a shoehorn, but otherwise, my purloining days are far behind me.  My first "big" private club experience on the road occurred at Cherry Hills in Denver.  I was just blown away by the place, the course, the history.  It led me to leave with an ashtray, a shoehorn and a towel with Cherry Hills name on it.  All with the active participation and consent of my friend who hosted me that day.  I held onto that stuff for quite awhile and may still have the ashtray, twenty-five years or so later!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 04:08:37 PM »
Speaking of golf towels, plain white, smaller than a bath towel, fairly thin.......what's a good place to buy them?

Our club has very small ones, irritating.

I went to Bed bath & Beyond and all they had was luxurious thick and expensive ones......

Kmart.  It's their normal bath towel, but true to Kmart's style, it's smaller/thinner/cheaper than a decent bath towel.  Perfect for golf.  I would assume Wal-Mart may have equally sh!tty towels, but I refuse to shop there.

I went by Kmart - their towels are way too thick and nice.

Maybe I'll pop into Dollar General!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 05:11:51 PM »
The fairly thin, somewhat coarse, medium sized white towel, the kind you might find in a locker room, can be found online at any locker-room supply company for under $3.00@. The coarse finish is great for cleaning clubs.

http://www.equipmentbag.com/pages/towels.html

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 06:17:52 PM »
The fairly thin, somewhat coarse, medium sized white towel, the kind you might find in a locker room, can be found online at any locker-room supply company for under $3.00@. The coarse finish is great for cleaning clubs.

We use MaxTex out of Atlanta.  You will have to order the towels in bulk... so get them from
someone who specializes in bulk! 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 06:30:57 PM »
Regarding this whole thread, I'll just chalk it up to things that make you go hmmm....

And by the way, David M...you are on fire lately with the humor.  Kudos!!!

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »

That's the problem with golf club towels -- the towel that's great for cleaning your clubs is like sandpaper when you get out of the shower. At our club, most of the players have one of the club towels hanging from their bag or push cart. Hardly anyone takes a shower there.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

David_Elvins

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 07:12:20 PM »
I really like it when the pro shop makes an effort to sell items that are unique to the clubhouse.  The placemats at mpcc and the ceramic beer mugs at merion were both great momentos from the clubhouse that I was really excited to be able to buy.  I am sure that there are some people that would rather buy towels than steal them and it is a pity that they are not openly offerred for sale.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 07:20:47 PM »
That's the best part of the thin and coarse towels, they work great for golf clubs and they wouldn't be as 'nice' as the KMart ones that Bill said are too thick. I was thinking by-the-dozen for personal use   

Buy something nice for the locker room, bulky and in bulk. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:35:20 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2011, 07:51:10 PM »
I know of one case where a membership was terminated because of towel theft. The quantity was enough to make it a felony.
The only thing I've swiped was a paper place setting map of the course, but only because I was fastidious enough to not slop all over it per usual. And a few tees now and then.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2011, 03:22:04 AM »
I guess I'm a sucker because I actually paid for my Old Course towel I have hanging on my bag.  Of course, I wasn't in the clubhouse so I guess I didn't have the option of tipping someone to look the other way while I stole it!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

hick

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2011, 05:20:35 PM »
If you get rid of the logoed towels more will stick around. I keep LL bean towels in my locker as welll as at home, and in my opinion  they are some of the best towels i have found.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back