News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Moment of truth...towels
« on: January 28, 2011, 06:38:58 AM »
Speaking of nice private clubs...
I collect club towels and caddy bibbs.....usually will tell the lockerroom attendant or caddy what I want todo and will pay (tip) them for such....but last year was at one club and the lockerroom attendant laughed...he said no one ever pays for a towel.....said I would not believe their towel loss over a year....people just take them....mostly members....
Tell me..how many have taken a locker room towel from one of the private clubs....I have...that's why I now just tip the guy....and I have some good club towels with the club name down the middle...look good on the guest bathroom towel rack....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Phil_the_Author

Re: Moment of truth...towels
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 06:58:14 AM »
The truth finally comes out, the REAL reason why Mike has been denied entry into the ASGCA... As Edith Bunker would have said, he's a KLEPPER! :)

Tim Bert

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 08:31:16 AM »
I will step forward and admit.... This thought has never once crossed my mind. I guess I just don't care enough about towels.

When I clicked on this thread I thought it was going to be about the wet, scented towels that many of the south's finest offer on course during those hot, humid summers. Perhaps a "what's your favorite scent" question.

Oh well, I'm now anxious to hear what fine clubs' towels have been stolen if folks are willing to admit it. Do you tip the attendant because the cost of lost towels comes out of their paycheck or just to feel better about leaving the scene of the crime?!?

JMEvensky

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 09:16:22 AM »
I'm usually a shoe horn thief.

How many clubs still have personalized towels?

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 09:52:31 AM »
I have a nice stack of old school caddy towels that feature the name of the club typed in green down the center of the towel that I still use today every so often. I didn't steal them, I bought them when I started looping there!
H.P.S.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »

Combs

Anthony

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »
Tipping the shoe guy when you steal from a club is not purchasing.  He does not own the towels.

C. Squier

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »
Tipping the shoe guy when you steal from a club is not purchasing.  He does not own the towels.

How'd I know you'd post this?  But to the point, I agree.  Poor form.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 10:43:55 AM »
Clubhouse? I just change my shoes in the car park. They don't usually bring me a towel out there although I do see them looking my way every now and then like they're thinking about it.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 10:44:15 AM »
I stole a towel, but only because the caddy stole mine first!

This fall i happen to come about an entire flag stick complete with lazer receptors and 2 colored flags! I cant get it to stand up in my astroturf home putting aid yet:)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »
I cant get it to stand up in my astroturf home putting aid yet:)

Give it a good heavy coat of hair spray. That'll stiffen it up.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 10:49:24 AM »

If I had an employee who turned his head while someone stole from me I would fire him, if that same employee took graft to turn his head I would prosecute him.

Billsteele

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 10:58:18 AM »
Is the poorest of form stealing a towel after receiving a comped round as a rater? Just wondering.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 11:12:12 AM »
Is the poorest of form stealing a towel after receiving a comped round as a rater? Just wondering.

That is no worse than drinking milk from Sharon Tate's refrigerator.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »
People steal towels?

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 11:51:46 AM »
Many Riviera members got a good laugh many years ago when shortly after the murders a TV video camera was there for the opening of O J Simpson's car trunk.  Hoping to see the murder weapon what instead clearly came into focus were towels with Riviera clearly engraved on them.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 12:04:23 PM »

If I had an employee who turned his head while someone stole from me I would fire him, if that same employee took graft to turn his head I would prosecute him.

Amen.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 12:08:05 PM »
Speaking of golf towels, plain white, smaller than a bath towel, fairly thin.......what's a good place to buy them?

Our club has very small ones, irritating.

I went to Bed bath & Beyond and all they had was luxurious thick and expensive ones......

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »
I will give you some documented, hard facts on the matter.

We built our own laundry in early 2010 and brought all of our linen and towel service in house.  We have
500 members and do about 20,000 rounds per year.  I ordered 600 hunter green hand towels that we
use on the golf carts.  I was down to 100 after 8 months (Jan-Aug) and we had to reload.

I witnessed it first hand at one of our Board member's boys little league game.  Another club member's
son was on the team.  It started raining so he ran to his car and came back with six hunter green hand
towels.  He dried off the bleachers then left them laying there on the ground.  I waited until he left then
snatched them up and took them back to the club.

As for plush locker room towels... ordered 200... I am down to 100.

Morale of this story... do not inventory your towels.  Consider them an annual expense.

DMoriarty

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 12:29:25 PM »
Whenever I am a guest at someone's home for dinner or whatnot, I always make it a point to bring along my shoe bag so that I can take some towels and whatever else I can find; shoehorns, soap, whatever.  But I especially collect monogrammed towels. It is a nice reminder of the event and I have quite a collection, although I seem to be getting less invitations as of late . . .

Bill, try a restaurant supply store. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 12:36:14 PM »
While we are at the confessional, any one out there who might have sought political favor to gain a competitive advantage and win a government contract?  No one has asked for "guidance" on what the competitors were bidding?  What about hosting a round of golf for employees of a company with whom we hope to do business with.

I wonder how many golf course employees pull a new sleeve of balls from the display rack before they go out to play?  Of course, no one in the pro shop ever hands the keys to the golf cart to family and friends without ringing the cash register.

Towels, combs, the very occasional shoe horn (my personal peccadillo, but never without first asking permission from the club) are all very small potatoes in comparison to what gets pilfered at most clubs.   During my time at Ohio State, a very affable, charming woman in the shop was found to have embezzled thousands of dollars from the club over several years.  Here in Texas, a supertintendent at my former club in cahoots with a supplier stole tens of thousands for phantom supplies.

Might this be the exception to being just a little big pregnant?  At least members pay communally for what they steal individually.

Bill McBride,

I've bought cheap ($2-$3) hand towels at Walmart that are great for the golf course.

Roger Wolfe,

Well, during my visit you should have gained one of the green towels.  I prefer green and I lose them regularly.  

C. Squier

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 12:38:23 PM »
Speaking of golf towels, plain white, smaller than a bath towel, fairly thin.......what's a good place to buy them?

I went to Bed bath & Beyond and all they had was luxurious thick and expensive ones......

Kmart.  It's their normal bath towel, but true to Kmart's style, it's smaller/thinner/cheaper than a decent bath towel.  Perfect for golf.  I would assume Wal-Mart may have equally sh!tty towels, but I refuse to shop there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 12:40:54 PM »

Kmart.  It's their normal bath towel, but true to Kmart's style, it's smaller/thinner/cheaper than a decent bath towel.  Perfect for golf.  I would assume Wal-Mart may have equally sh!tty towels, but I refuse to shop there.

Thanks, Clint.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »
My "Smurf Blue Towel" (According to Rory) that I drape over my bag and use on a daily basis is a bath towel from Walmart.  I think it cost 4 dollars?

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tim Martin

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 01:07:18 PM »
I will give you some documented, hard facts on the matter.

We built our own laundry in early 2010 and brought all of our linen and towel service in house.  We have
500 members and do about 20,000 rounds per year.  I ordered 600 hunter green hand towels that we
use on the golf carts.  I was down to 100 after 8 months (Jan-Aug) and we had to reload.

I witnessed it first hand at one of our Board member's boys little league game.  Another club member's
son was on the team.  It started raining so he ran to his car and came back with six hunter green hand
towels.  He dried off the bleachers then left them laying there on the ground.  I waited until he left then
snatched them up and took them back to the club.

As for plush locker room towels... ordered 200... I am down to 100.

Morale of this story... do not inventory your towels.  Consider them an annual expense.

Roger-Definitely a cost of doing business and really is a small potatoes issue. How many people really think that they are getting over on a private golf club by boosting a few towels. You don`t go into a men`s locker room with a gun and mask for towels as John Kavanaugh would have you think. You have the right attitude.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back