News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Day

Re: Biggest Disappointment per Dollar
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2011, 08:14:05 PM »
would Torrey Pines south at the residents rate of $76 still be a disappointment?

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2011, 08:22:37 PM »
would Torrey Pines south at the residents rate of $76 still be a disappointment?

I'd play it again at that price, definitely not for $250 or so.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2011, 08:38:08 PM »
The only place I felt I got ripped off was at TPC Sawgrass. 

I didn't stay at the hotel, so I paid the $400 rate.  I got a small bag of balls to warm up with and had to hit off of those synthetic mats.  Got to the first tee, hit my shot, and my group was rushed to our balls as there was another group right behind us, but of course we couldn't hit because there was a group still on the green in front of us.  It was hurry up and wait the entire round with people breathing down our necks the entire time...but we couldn't go anywhere because there were groups in front of us.  And on hole 16 the caddy says, "Man, we are making good time.  We should finish this round in just over 5 hours."  In fact, perhaps that sums it all up right there.  5 hours is a quick round.

To me it was awful bang for the buck!!  The course is great...no doubt...but my experience there was awful.  And I feel that if I am going to pay that kind of price, the experience needs to be exceptional.  Like Shadow Creek or Cascata.  Are they over-priced?  For sure, but you are made to feel special and the experience is something to remember.  At Sawgrass, it felt like they were herding cattle and I was the cattle. 

But I've only played it once...maybe I got it on a bad day.  But having said that, I have no desire to go back.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Alex Miller

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »

NO, it's not.

I do try to play it twilight though, and then it's one of the better $40 courses out there. Architecturally it's probably worth about 40 bucks, but add the weather, views, playing conditions and it's probably double that. Maybe we should do another GCA Fantasy Draft but Auction style!

Matt Day

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2011, 09:22:03 PM »
I thought Pebble Beach might have got a mention. The day we walked it there seemed to be a lot of prompting for marshalls to keep up, stop taking photos etc to the punters. It was straight after the AT&T, is it busier then beacuse it's in tournament condition?

For $475 (?) the experience from an outsider observing seemed to be a bit rushed/production line like, something similar to what Mac described at TPC Sawgrass

Bill Gayne

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2011, 09:27:40 PM »
The last course I left without completing the round due to the pace of play was Mid Pines. Pitiful situation on the course and the response of the staff in the clubhouse could only be described as pathetic.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2011, 10:39:31 PM »
California is the king of this topic, I could make a pretty long list of courses that are worth the amount they charge.  California just seems to charge way more for their courses than they are worth.

Trump National- way overpriced for the product you are offered.  OK golf course with good views
Torrey Pines South- WAY OVERPRICED, tons of boring holes, only thing going is the nice enjoyable walk.
Encinitas Ranch- Charges way to much for the extremely average golf course
SilverRock- I live in the desert and there are way to many courses here that charge too much.  This is the first of them.
PGA West Nicklaus Resort- It is a decent course but nothing compared to the Nicklaus Private

I could go on and on with courses in So-Cal that are WAY overpriced for the value you get.  There are only a few good courses in So-Cal that are worth the money you pay.  IMO, the top two are Rustic Canyon and Coronado Golf Course.

And, I'd add to this list:

Pelican Hills - I was invited to play - with me fee covered - coming up in March, and I gladly passed.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2011, 10:48:10 PM »
I always love to go toe to toe with Jay on Turning Stone.  I'd say that Shenandoah (Rick Smith) is worth the $$$, as is the par three course.  I think that Atunyote might have been worth the $$$, if you valued the fact that it was a tier-II PGA course and an uber-private reserve with 15 minute tee times, free eats all the way around and pristine, Augusta-Of-The-North conditions.  The only one on property that is not worth the $$$, due to it being so damned tough, is Kaluhyat.  If you remember to tee off two decks ahead of where you normally play, Kaluhyat is fair.

If I am paying more than $5 per hole, the course had best be something special.  That is the economics of middle-class Buffalo speaking, but I cannot imagine paying $500 for a round of golf without free cars/and or conjugal visits.  I've paid "up there" money for courses from fine resorts to private reserves.  I guess the saying "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" applies to me and my teacherly salary.

Courses by my fellow Demon Deacon, Mr. Palmer, underwhelm me.  Courses by Roger Rulewich make the experience too damned difficult.  I'm sorry that Rulewich never had a ground-game epiphany.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Richard Choi

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2011, 12:35:19 AM »
At least other high priced courses like Pebble Beach and even Whistling Straits have architectural merit.

You can even argue that Torrey Pines has the views to justify the costs.

You take Torrey Pines, take away the views, take away the interesting elevation changes and you have Doral. And you even get to pay more than you would at Torrey Pines.

There is nothing that even comes close to its lack of value.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2011, 11:46:15 AM »
The last course I left without completing the round due to the pace of play was Mid Pines. Pitiful situation on the course and the response of the staff in the clubhouse could only be described as pathetic.

What was the situation on the course?

What was the response in the golf shop?

What pace were you on when you bailed on the round?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2011, 11:56:42 AM »
First time I played the Old Course.  And not because of the course.

We were a three-ball.  Me, my wife (a mid-teens handicapper - lower than me at the time) and an Irish lad who asked to join us as a walk-up on the first tee.  Around the turn we lost a bit of ground on the group in front because we weren't entirely sure where we were going.  We were approached by a marshall and told to skip the loop and wait for the group in front to finish 11 and then play on from 11 tee.  At the time we were just about a hole behind.  We refused and, within two holes were immediately behind the group infront (a four-ball with caddies).  We then waited on every single shot for the rest of the round.  The group in front had completely lost contact with the group in front of them.  No sign whatsoever of a marshall, we assume because the group in front were employing caddies and we weren't.  My wife picked her ball up and didn't play the last 6 holes.  The Irish lad and I played in, at a snails pace.  I made par at 17, which helped save the day but it was one of the least enjoyable rounds I've had on a links course.

More recent outings at TOC have represented far better VFM!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2011, 04:16:32 PM »
After two visits plays my biggest disappointment is Muirfield.  Sure, its a good course, but they are charging about double what N Berwick charges and that puts me on the 1st tee of N Berwick 10 out of 10. 
A group of mates and I are paying £75 to play Muirfield in March.  I'd have thought you, the king of the winter deal, would have looked out for deals like that, not least as Muirfield can play as well in March as it does in the summer.

Canary

I could be convinced to tag along with an outing to Muirfield in the off-season if the situation was right, but I wouldn't organize it.  I tend to go cheap places for over-nighters in the winter.  Though this fall we are going to St Andrews - very much a splash out for this group who look to do two weekend games on a quality course and B&B for no more than £125 (usually closer to £100) with few exceptions.  Its a concept I have a lot of time for.  Unfortunately, I have to miss the spring meeting in Tenby.  I was looking forward to that one-nighter, but such is life.   

Ciao

Sean,

If you are looking for cheap as chips winter deal - Gog Magog is a decent bet played the Wandlebury a decent Hawtree course built over 10 years ago for £20.50! and the Old course is a similar price. Wandlebury greens are much better in the winter as its USGA standard and is used for Open Regional qualifying! Boony and I were considering playing Royston last year - £15 a round in winter!!!

Canary - Muirfield for £75 thats an absolute bargain!!! one of the deals of the year.

Biggest Disappointment per Dollar - thinking about it - PGA Centenary at Gleneagles - the Kings is a better course at a cheaper fee!

Cheers
Ben 

Ben,

I will echo Glenealges-PGA, it's next on the list.  So, to get to a top 5, I would go

1. Doral Blue
2. Torrey South
3. Gleneagles - PGA
4. Reflection Bay
5. Valderrama

Now, I appreciated each of these courses in some way, i.e., aesthetics, a good hole here and there, good conditioning, (except maybe Doral), but in terms of feeling satisfied with money well spent, not so much. 

I played Reflection Bay a couple of years ago for $50 and was the only person on the course. I thought that was great value.

Mike Bowline

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2011, 04:41:53 PM »
Many courses who charge double or triple because "The Tour Plays Here" are candidates for this contest. And if the event was a major, the multiple can be even higher. Witness Torrey, Pebble, Whistling S, Bethpage - all which have been mentioned already.

Sean Leary

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2011, 05:03:19 PM »
The Prince on Kauai....

Bill Gayne

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2011, 08:36:47 AM »
Greg,

I don't recall the specific time but we called it quits on number 12 after waiting on most every shot from the third hole on. The on-course staff wasn't taking charge of the situation. Sure they rode by in a cart and told us that the pace of play was slow that day and  that it extended all the  way through 18. Stating the obvious to me and asking for patience but not willing to do anything more is not dealing with the issue. On the ride back to the clubhouse, we actually saw one poor guy laid out on his golf cart who appeared to be either taking a nap or in a coma.

When I went to the Clubhouse the real story was explained to me. They were hosting several buddy trips that weekend and they had been coming to Mid Pines for several years. It was further explained to me  that the buddy trips like to drink a lot, smoke cigars, and gamble, so play gets slow. I could tell they took pride in hosting buddy trips as they post pictures in the Clubhouse of the groups that had been coming for decades. I and others like me needed to accept the conditions and realize that I didn't generate the revenue that day nor over time that the buddy trips did for the resort. I don't fault the guys on the buddy trip for doing what they enjoy. I fault the Clubhouse staff anf golf course operations for allowing their course to be hi-jacked by these groups to the detriment of others looking to enjoy the day. They got the revenue that day but loss a customer for good.

Big disappointment per dollar that day consindering I also paid lodging the night before.

Niall C

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2011, 09:13:36 AM »
Bill

Why give the buddy trip guys a free pass ? They are holding up the course. It wouldn't cause them any grief to let some groups play through. In fact it would give them a bit more time to bet, drink and be merry.

Niall

Andy Troeger

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2011, 09:22:31 AM »
Many courses who charge double or triple because "The Tour Plays Here" are candidates for this contest. And if the event was a major, the multiple can be even higher. Witness Torrey, Pebble, Whistling S, Bethpage - all which have been mentioned already.

I haven't been willing to spend the money to play it, but TPC Scottsdale would seem to be a candidate for this one. Even a bucket of range balls was something like $14 a couple years ago.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2011, 10:10:51 AM »
Niall,

I really think it's the obligation of course management to resolve that issue.

Bill

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2011, 11:00:26 AM »
Is anyone willing to mention a private club in this thread?

WW

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2011, 11:22:29 AM »
I agree with any of the resort courses @ kiawah... Ocean was expensive but worth most of it

The Castle Course in St. Andrews - £120 or about $190

Hudson Hills - NYC area muni/public - $115 no walking allowed. Played a bit then after working for MCGD where they even bashed it, went back once more, realized how right they were! Do the right thing and go to split rock for twice the golf at 1/2 the price

Pinehurst 4 - $205... are you kidding me? this course was the most overrated course I saw all 2010, barely beating out Westchester Country Club.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »
Kevin,
Perhaps you have not played much links golf, if so your comments may appear to make sense...otherwise...NOT
Having played about 100 or so real links courses with true links terrain..they do indeed manage to make a golf course with less than 1000 or so bunkers.
Having created a linksy field of play, the exaggeration is rather clear in its total number of bunkers....and overdone appearence in general.
If that is not clear and evident to you, then you really should not clammer to comment on what I said.

As for Johnson's PGA debacle...if he had been that offline on a real links course, he indeed would not have been "bunkered" and it would have been clear whether or not he was in a bunker or merely a sandy area, that was my point...when was the last time you saw an Open Championship where fane were allowed to walk in the bunkers?...I stuill believe he had reason to think he was ina sandy area not a bunker on the basis of how far offline he was and the fact that fans were allowed in the proximity of whre his ball ended up...all reasonable assumptions based on real links golf tournament play,
That been said...go Steelers ;D
that been siad

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2011, 12:51:30 PM »
The Prince on Kauai....

Amen if still water-ball...about half the holes were waterlogged and pumps were in bunkers on two holes - this in February and not particularly brutal pre-conditions...and it has happened more than once and more than one year in particular

Nothing like a first hole tee shot plugging in the fairway...ever see a ball up to its eyes in mud? :)

Ken Moum

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2011, 03:18:10 PM »
I haven't played it, but is it even possible that Karsten Creek is worth the $300 unaccompanied guest fee?

In Stillwater?

I gotta think that the Rawls course for $34 to $64, despite being in Lubbock, is a better deal.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jeff Loh

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2011, 03:50:16 PM »
Jaeger
Totally agree with the Hudson Hills debacle. What didn't you like about Westchester CC?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »
Great Waters on Lake Oconee in Georgia is another once that is not worth the price.  I paid something like $250 for a round there 2 or 3 years ago.  Cuscowilla is shouting distance from the course and at least 1/2 the price.  Better course (IMO) and cheaper.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back