News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Hyde

F&F Torrey Pines
« on: January 29, 2011, 07:18:44 AM »
Anyone else notice balls bounding onto greens and others that landed on greens and bounced over? I have never played, TP...is this a new conditioning approach or typical for the course?

Anthony_Nysse

Re: F&F Torrey Pines
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »
I think that the place looks and is playing incredible. The difference in dry conditionfor a la nina winter is amazing.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

John Shimp

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 09:51:27 AM »
I agree. Looks like a lot of fun. There are a lot of good holes out there. Certainly could be better but its a fine course and a great place to be. These conditions really add to what's there.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »
Tiger said yesterday that the course could present US Open conditions this weekend if desired.  When asked if that's likely to happen, he said "Not on this Tour."

WW

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 11:34:56 AM »
Of course they also narrowed the fairways to 20-24 yards

Alex Miller

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 12:07:11 PM »
With all the rain that hit SoCal but a few weeks ago it really is amazing what they've done. Many courses are still dealing with tons of water damage, and while Torrey isn't set up to flood they got they're share of rain too. I'm surprised they can't get it F&F like this every year when there is less rain.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 12:59:10 PM »
After getting a ton of rain in California in December, we have gotten virtually no rain at all over the past 3 1/2 weeks. I am sure that has enabled Torrey Pines to firm up pretty well. 

John Shimp

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 10:00:09 PM »
The 20 to 24 yd wide fairways are only on the north. The south fairways are all over 30.  The south is long and tough and doesn't need ribbons for protection.

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 12:27:17 PM »
With all the rain that hit SoCal but a few weeks ago it really is amazing what they've done. Many courses are still dealing with tons of water damage, and while Torrey isn't set up to flood they got they're share of rain too. I'm surprised they can't get it F&F like this every year when there is less rain.

Per David's comments and with San Diego being 100 miles south of LA, it received far less rain than the LA Basin did (1/2 to 1/3 on average but still considerably more than "normal").  The above normal temperatures and dry conditions since December have allowed the super to control the amount of moisture in the ground.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »
GCA.com has had its Torrey Pines detractors over the years, relative to its design features.  Yet, they have managed to present an above average tournament almost every year in terms of conditions and strong players field with interesting competition, IMO.  Maybe it isn't the most revered course for a US Open, but I didn't think the US OPen there sucked. 

I'd like to praise the superintendent's management and staff there, whether they got a favorable patch of weather or not.  I think it looks and seems to be playing very well this week.  They did have to overcome County management controversy a couple of years ago.  But, that was mostly related to financial shenanigans, not maintenance, per se. 

On an unrelated note, I just started watching this morning and have to wonder if Ricky Fowler is going to look back on these youthful days when he is about 45 yrs old, and cringe upon reflection back at his Biever fever personal style statements.  With his OK State U prison jumpsuit, and matching bonnet over a Dorothy Hamil doo, I don't think I could even play in a foursome with him without being gastronomically upset and visually disoriented during the round.  I would think other players would cringe at being paired with him.  T.Boone should make a call and offer a suggestion for a little more sedate ensemble if he is going to fly the school colors. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 02:09:47 PM »
The weather seems to have cooled and the course seems a bit "stickier" today, but would agree with those who have commented that the F&F presentation adds significantly to the enjoyment of watching the tournament.

I've always had a soft spot for TP, and am among those who think the routing is quite good and it has the "bones" of potential to be really, really good.

On the other hand, those bunkers are dreadful.

They fit the site like a Ryan Howard first-base glove on a three year old child's hand...such a sad attempt to look flashy while there is absolutely no need to compete with the gorgeous landscape already there.   Jen, without prompting, offered that they look like fetuses, and asked what the architect could have been possibly thinking.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back