News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Malcolm Mckinnon

The Solitary Golfer vs the Marche Militaire
« on: January 20, 2011, 10:53:11 PM »
If you saw my last post please don't think I am batshit. I am just trying to throw out some interesting topics for discussion while my beloved course slumbers under a pile of frozen precipitation, 2-4" additional due tonight.

I have played competitive golf, solitary golf and what I will refer to here as the marche militaire when foursomes depart from tee number one about every 8 minutes every Saturday and Sunday morning with wagers ablazing.

In the past 10 years life intervened and with teenage children especially a daughter who ended up deeply immersed in the equestrian sport of eventing I had to pretty much give up the marche militaire and console myself with solitary golf.

I love solitary golf!!

Generally, I find myself going out in the late afternoon. Hardly a soul is on the golf course and I can sail around 18 holes, walking, in 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The shadows are lengthening as I meander about. Sometimes, if encountering a roadblock of a wayward after hours foursome (usually mixed) I will dispense with the notion of playing through and simply deviate around them, rerouting the course to my fancy.

Now, my parental obligations have subsided and given the choice I'm not sure that I don't prefer the solitary peacefulness to the mental gymnastics of juggling socializing, thinking about my game, trying to keep all the bets straight and the four hour duration that the marche militaire entails.

As a bonus I usually return to the clubhouse in time to enjoy an adult beverage right at the appropriate cocktail hour as the sun ebbs over the horizon.

Who amongst the GCA discussion group stands with me regarding the joys of an antisocial round of golf?

David_Tepper

Re: The Solitary Golfer vs the Marche Militaire
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:03:10 PM »
Malcolm -

You are not alone. I have played many rounds as "The Solitary Golfer,"  either early in the morning or late in the afternoon and found them quite enjoyable. I hardly regard that as being antisocial!

DT   

Jason Walker

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:07:20 PM »
Malcolm-
Let's get together in 2011, I'm only 30 miles down 295!

And I have to admit, I thought after your first post you were batshit.  Especially with 'song' in the title.  Be that as it may...

I love solitary golf.  Never thought I would. Then daugher arrived, and two years later son arrived  (they're now 3 and 1).  I'm also assisted by the fact I live 1/4 mile from my club, so late afternoon solitary nines (or sixes given our routing) have become norm.   The genius, though, is you'll never know who you run into, and you know there's always someone in the bar to have a post-round drink with.

Jason Walker

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:18:51 PM »
I should also add that during all my solitary golf last year I devised my own scoring system  that takes into account time and strokes.  Par for nine holes time-wise was 1:08.  It's only workable during solitary golf but I have to say even the asst pro was impressed!

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 12:01:20 AM »
Jason,

What! You dare to disturb my enclave of solitary golf!!!

Please contact me and I would be delighted to get together with you. I am brand new to the GCA universe but assume there is a way for you to contact me privately. If not figure out another way public or private.

Malcolm

Rob Rigg

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 01:42:14 AM »
Malcolm,

Plus one to solitary golf - not 100% of the time, maybe not even 50% - but an early morning or - even better I think - late afternoon round with the course to yourself is probably the most relaxing experience in the world.

There is nothing like playing the back nine quickly, but not rushed, as the shadows lengthen across the course and the sun slowly descends behind the trees, hills, etc.  - walking up eighteen just before sunset is brilliant.

A great way to finish the day.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 01:55:42 AM »
I agree entirely.

When I first took up the game properly I would go out on my own because I didn't want to share my ineptitude with others. When I did eventually start hooking up with other players however, I soon discovered that my ineptitude was shared by most others already!

I still love the odd few holes by myself, though. It's a marvellous way either to prepare for a days work or to wind down afterwards. Or to bunk off for an hour at lunchtime.  In summer all three!  Thank God for self-employment...

If I want to add a little spice to the walk I put two balls down and play white vs. yellow.  Stableford, of course...

Doug Siebert

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 03:44:54 AM »
Malcolm-
Let's get together in 2011, I'm only 30 miles down 295!

There is some sort of irony involved with a post like this in a thread about solitary golf! ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 03:47:06 AM »
Duncan,

I do the same, but I always end up rooting for one of the two balls to win! ;D Crazy, but true!

Chris Shaida

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 03:47:28 AM »
I have to confess that I envy you guys. I like the idea of playing solitaire golf ( it seems so pure!)--actually doing it though just doesn't work for me. I don't think I have the mental discipline for it...or something. I'm an introvert but somewhat counterintuitively I think a primary attraction of golf for me (I've come to it fairly recently) is to force me out of my introversion--golf is a perfect opportunity to engagewith someone without having to talk (or be talked to!) the whole time.  I hope I haven't just disqualified myself from GCA...

jonathan_becker

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 07:02:10 AM »
I would say 25% of my golf is solo and it's mainly 9 holers during the week.  I live right down the street from my course so it's easy to get out there and play fast.  25% solo is perfect for me and I hope I can continue it for a long time.  It's just you, your game, and the course.

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 07:12:41 AM »
I love playing solitary golf.  Nothing better than being alone on a golf course.  You can play as fast (or slow) as you like and you usually score better because it's easier to focus and there's no outside pressure.  But the best thing about it is the solitude.  If golf is about getting away from the stimuli and stress of everyday life, then solitary golf is it's quintessential expression.  Kind of like a meditation for me....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve Lang

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 07:46:37 AM »
i did that for about 10 years monday -friday when ms sheila was working-travelling across 48 states..

she knew not to call home before dark..

got me down to a 5 index, playing 3-5 times during the week and then on weekends ..

I met a lot of people doing that

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Foley

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 09:39:22 AM »
Love the feeling of late in the day or early AM and the shadows are long and the course is empty except for the occasional deer.

Play a few extra shots, discover things about your course you never saw before and lets the worries of the world just leave you alone.

Other than pre-kids w/ a semi regular Sunday AM game I've never been a weekend AM core golfer. Once the girls came along I always feel that I would be missing something as weekend AM's are always filled with something - dance class, X_C meet - softball or basketball practice - heading out for breakfast.

The Solitary Golfer route is always treated me well!

Integrity in the moment of choice

Carl Johnson

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 10:02:31 AM »
We're not all in the same choir.  If I don't have one or more others to play against, I just don't feel like I am really playing golf.  The neat thing about golf is that it presents so many different kinds of opportunities for people to enjoy themselves in different ways.

Tim Bert

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »
I enjoy solitary the golf experience, but I enjoy even more an early morning or late afternoon round with a really good friend on a quiet, mostly empty course.  I'd take a twosome over a playing as a single any day, as long as I get to pick the company.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 10:11:44 AM »
I play a lot of solitary golf, first thing in the morning when on holiday.  At Elie I can be on the course at 6.30 and back at our cottage before the kids have had breakfast.  And links courses can be stunningly beautiful at that time in the morning.  One of the few times in life you can really have time for your own thoughts.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 10:15:51 AM »
Wtih the exception of playing with a few, select close friends and the occasional GCA nutjobs, I greatly prefer playing alone.  I took up the game at the age of 12 and until I left home I was the only teenager who played at all at our modest 9-hole course.  Few of the adults showed little interest in playing with me so by default I probably played 200 rounds annually for six or seven years by my ownself.  At 52 I still find it a hard habit to break.  I still find the golf course to be a magical place, a sanctuary from the hustle/bustle of life that more often than not is compromised by the pace and sounds of company.  I'm probably down to 20 rounds a year, but I treasure each one immensely.  

BTW, I look forward to renewing old acquaintances at Kings Putter - that and kicking Rich Choi's butt.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Carl Rogers

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »
Playing combinations of scramble and worst ball with myself was one of the ways I was able to improve in the game.  I will sometimes throw a ball or two into a bunker and take some practice shots.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 04:14:13 PM »
I probably play one third of my rounds alone. They generally are nine holes in the evening. I enjoy playing in a twosome but prefer not to play in a foursome. I don't really enjoy having to wait for others to hit their shots. When I do play in a four ball, I will only play with guys who play quickly and don't care if I watch their shots. I absolutely hate what you might call social golf. I get enough time with people on my job. Give me one good friend on an uncrowded course and I am a happy camper.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:43:39 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Luckhardt

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »
I would have to say 75% of my golf is on the solitare side.
I just slip out to a local 9 holer with my hickories that has sand greens and little play.

This time alone on the course helps me free up the mind and think through any issues dogging me at the time.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 06:09:29 PM »
There's nothing quite like a solo game of worst ball as the sun drops in the sky.

WW

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »
Careful you guys. Barney labels your kind douche bags.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Grasty

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 10:13:52 PM »
I haven't played alone in quite a while, but when I first started to play golf a few years ago, I was a frequent solitary golfer. One of my favorite rounds was at Arizona National in Tucson a few years ago. I'd never played a desert course before, so I was quite excited to be there.  I played on a Sunday afternoon in mid-September on a nearly deserted golf course. There were a few University of Arizona golfers out on the course (ye gods, could they pound the ball) and they played so fast that I didn't have to ask to play through.  The day was perfect, almost no wind, warm and sunny.  I didn't play particularly well, but I didn't care, because the day was so peaceful and the course so beautiful.  There were desert animals everywhere: wild pigs, snakes, hawks, woodpeckers, lizards, even a coyote.  The course climbs up and down the mountains north of Tucson, and at the top, you could see the whole valley that Tucson occupies.  And I loved that 18th hole, the tee perched way up the side of the mountain and smashing a hybrid farther than I usually hit a driver.  Three hours of perfect golf.

Jud_T

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 03:59:12 AM »
I've got a good story in this vein that a few of you may have heard but is worth recounting here.  A few years ago I had arranged a game at Lost Dunes at the tail end of the season.  Well, as the day approached my playing partner had a work conflict and couldn't make it.  As I had never seen the course and the season was essentially ending, I decided to head up myself anyway.  The weather was also conspiring against me.  Low 40's, windy with an on and off drizzle.  But I was determined.  I figured out my best layered ensemble to fight the elements which still allowed me to make a decent pass at the ball and headed out.  The pro was surprised when I showed up in those conditions in early November.  Nobody else had seen fit to make the effort.  And by nobody, I mean NOBODY.  After the front nine, he asked if I needed anything and said he was taking off as I was the only guy on the property and told me to just let myself out when I was finished.  So I literally had the place to myself the entire afternoon.  I got 27 in, finishing with a birdie on 18 with a light cold rain stinging my cheek.  One of the best days ever.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:06:48 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back