News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

M. Shea Sweeney

Major Championship Venues
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:16:35 PM »
What were some unique Major Championship venues?

Do you see any future sites going down as one of the unique venues?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:44:32 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

Kevin_Reilly

Re: Major Championship Venues
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:49:55 PM »
What were the most unique Major Championship venues?

Do you see any future sites going down as one of the more unique venues?

"Most unique" or "more unique" ... how about just plain old "unique"?   :)

But seriously, I'd nominate Northwood in Dallas, as unique from the standpoint that it is the only US Open course that was designed by W.H. Diddel.  How's that? 
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:33:29 PM »
Kevin-

I guess I am looking for the "not typical" venue. Surely all major championships are special, which is why they are "Majors". I guess I am looking for some discussion on Majors that were special because of the course.

Lets take Bethpage Black 2002 for example. The first US Open following 9/11 at a course that is deep in the hearts of many affected by September 11th. A real public course hosting our national championship and the best players in the world 9 months after 9/11. The location, crowds, exciting competition and great Tillinghast course made for a memorable week.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:42:27 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:06:22 PM »
Even though many majors have been staged there before, Merion is going to fall into this category, I'd say.  It's going to be very interesting to see the US Open in 2013.

Before then, I'd say that the 2012 PGA at Kiawah Island will qualify.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
What were the most unique Major Championship venues?

Do you see any future sites going down as one of the more unique venues?

"Most unique" or "more unique" ... how about just plain old "unique"?   :)

But seriously, I'd nominate Northwood in Dallas, as unique from the standpoint that it is the only US Open course that was designed by W.H. Diddel.  How's that? 

While we are talking about unique major championship courses I will nominate Cedar Crest, also in Dallas. I fine muni where Walter Hagen won the 27 PGA, it's in the ghetto and I saw a drug deal in the parking lot. Also just outside the gate I had a women flag me down, I thought she was in trouble so I rolled down my window. She asked me if I wanted a date, I said I already had one because I was taking my girlfriend to Fearings.

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:37:21 PM »
but at the time of the PGA Cedar Crest was the new money club.And then came 1929.Was the PGA a major then? I think that a boy named Byron Nelson watched Hagen that day,but that is for another thread...

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:41:52 AM »
but at the time of the PGA Cedar Crest was the new money club.And then came 1929.Was the PGA a major then? I think that a boy named Byron Nelson watched Hagen that day,but that is for another thread...

In the final match Nelson lent Hagen his visor. The funny thing about it being the new money club then is that by the 50's when my Dad lived close by it was already a poor area.

John Nixon

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 09:54:47 AM »
I thought the women playing last season's US Open at Oakmont was excellent. I don't know if there'd been a women's tournament there before, but it was new to me. I like seeing the women play courses where we usually see the men - gives me a better feel for how I might fare there.  Now, if we can just get the ladies on at ANGC...

JohnV

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 10:02:08 AM »
It was the second US Women's Open at Oakmont.  Patty Sheehan beat Julie Inkster in a playoff in 1992.

John Nixon

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 10:13:02 AM »
Thanks John. I had a suspicion I was uninformed.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 10:15:05 AM »
There is quite an inviting list of courses which have staged a single US Open and are unlikely to attract another: Baltimore CC, Brae Burn CC, CC of Buffalo, Columbia CC, Engelwood, Fresh Meadow, Garden City, Glen View, Interlachen, Inwood, Midlothian, Minikahda, Newport, North Shore, Northwood, Onwentsia, Philadelphia CC, Riviera, Scioto, Skokie, St Louis CC, Worcester CC.

On this side of the pond Prince's.

Richard Choi

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 10:33:14 AM »
I guarantee 2015 US Open at Chambers Bay is going to be unlike any other US Open you have seen - especially if the wind blows.

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 10:40:20 AM »
One of the most unique for US Opens, certainly in its scheduling, was Myopia (Herbert Leeds) South Hamilton, Mass. It held four US Opens in ten years (1898, 1901, 1905, 1908) and following that I don't believe it ever held a USGA championship again. Myopia was also the first US Open (1898) that was not tacked onto the back of the US Amateur.

JMEvensky

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 10:47:14 AM »
Wouldn't Royal Portrush qualify as unique?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 01:45:30 PM »
It certainly would.

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 05:06:44 PM »
Musselburgh Links
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 08:05:10 PM »

TOC has to be top of the list

Anthony

Bill Gayne

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 09:05:07 PM »
Congressional ending on a par three.

Brian Freeman

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 10:45:54 PM »
Pinehurst #2 in 1999.  Back when the USGA was still firmly entrenched in their 6" of rough mentality.  That tournament and the quality of the contenders changed the US Open.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 08:44:41 AM »
What were some unique Major Championship venues?

As I would include Amateur venue's in this discussion - Chicago - for a course with so few members

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 09:24:10 AM »
Merion just because it does not fit the so called modern standards. I actually am amazed when a Torry Pines or Hazeltine host opens given how average the courses are.

Mike Benham

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 12:07:04 PM »

Perhaps not unique in the true definition but I expect that the 2012 Open at Olympic Lake will be the last one.

It won't be long enough this time around and they can't make it any longer so unless there is a roll-back of the ball, 2012 will be the last.

That will leave Pebble as the only West Coast venue since it seems that Torrey has fallen out of the rotation and Chambers hasn't hosted one yet.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 11:33:23 PM »
Mike it is funny when i saw your post, I thought it would be how little money is involved for the club now. I actually think Olympic Lake will do just fine length wise. The Olympic Club has learned to live with and wok with the USGA as well as anyone.

Phil McDade

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 09:21:19 AM »

Perhaps not unique in the true definition but I expect that the 2012 Open at Olympic Lake will be the last one.

It won't be long enough this time around and they can't make it any longer so unless there is a roll-back of the ball, 2012 will be the last.

That will leave Pebble as the only West Coast venue since it seems that Torrey has fallen out of the rotation and Chambers hasn't hosted one yet.

Mike:

Chambers Bay is hosting the Open soon, and should it hold up (not necessarily as a golf course, but other factors as well), my guess is that it will be put into a rotation for West Coast courses. And Torrey Pines will likely see another US Open in our future. Remember that the Open returns to the West Coast only once every five years or so; a course can be in a semi-official rotation and not get an Open for 10-15 years.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 09:34:10 AM »
Back in the 70s the PGA was played at PGA GC in Florida, designed by Dick Wilson. Because the course was in south Florida they changed their typical tournament date from late summer to spring. Jack Nicklaus won the tournament. The course changed its name to JDM CC not long after that; I'm not sure what its called today. There have not been too many majors played in Florida.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back