News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Butler

Options after the Valley Club on Sunday?
« on: January 19, 2011, 05:47:40 PM »
I have to be in LA on Monday evening. Is there another course in the Santa Barbara area worth playing or should I just mosey on down to Rustic Canyon before going to LAX in the afternoon to pick someone up?

Also, anyone have any food recommendations for Santa Barbara?

All advice appreciated, either on this thread or via PM.
Next!

Alex Miller

Re: Options after the Valley Club on Sunday?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 05:50:51 PM »
What a horrible predicament you're in 8)

I do think Rustic is your best choice. As of a couple weeks ago it was also in the best shape I'd ever seen, so now's the time to go!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:01:20 PM by Alex Miller »

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »
Soule Park, the muni in Ojai, is worth a look, although it is likely a notch below Rustic.

http://www.soulepark.com/golf/proto/soulepark/ 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:01:59 PM by David_Tepper »

Anthony Butler

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »
What a horrible predicament you're in!

I do think Rustic is your best choice. As of a couple weeks ago it was also in the best shape I'd ever seen, so now's the time to go!

Alex-When a man has spent the last two weeks shoveling snow, and the last couple of years shoveling s--t, he deserves the occasional break, no?  

Thanks for the update on Rustic Canyon conditions btw.
Next!

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:19:55 PM »
Soule Park, the muni in Ojai, is worth a look, although it is likely a notch below Rustic.

http://www.soulepark.com/golf/proto/soulepark/ 

I'll second the Soule Park reco.  Also Olivas Links in Ventura is goos as is the Ojai Valley Inn course. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »
How about playing a few more holes at the Valley - there's an inside loop, 1-2, 13-18, that keeps you on the clubhouse side of Sheffield Road.  Then a bite and a margarita.

Anything after the Valley Club is going to be a letdown!

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:37:36 PM »
Anthony,

Your cancelled trip got revived? Great news!

As far as eating options, if you can eat on the deck at The Valley Club, make sure you do.

Bucatini on State St, right in the heart of Santa Barbara, is fantastic and right over the road you'll find Santa Barbara Brewing Company. I sampled about four or five of their brews and they were all delicious.

DMoriarty

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »
Sandpiper is not the end of the world (although it is past Goleta.)  A few very good holes and a terrific setting, although it is way overpriced.   Generally, the course isn't as good as some think or as bad as others think and it is hard to beat playing in Santa Barbara weather next to the ocean.  

Rustic Canyon is less out of your way the Soule Park and much better, IMO, but if you have played Rustic a number of times and haven't ever played Soule Park it might be worth a look.  IMO Olivas Links is not even worth slowing down to look at.

Rose Cafe on Haley is a dive, but if you don't mind authentic, the Chile Relleno and Chile Colorado may be the best in Southern California (which is saying something) and their bone in Chicken Soup is divine.  Sit at the counter and give a nod to the two old mexican guys who have been sitting at the counter every night since the mid 1980s or before. Brophy Bros. at the marina (not to be confused with the warf) has decent seafood and nice view from the bar.  

Rustic has been in very good shape, and as much as I like the Valley Club I'd hardly consider the golf at Rustic a "letdown." The setting and amenities may be a let-down, but certainly not the golf.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:26:31 AM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

R_Paulis

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 06:45:03 PM »
Rustic is the first choice with Soule a distant second and Olivas Links in Ventura trailing.

SB has a diverse selection of food. Here are some of my standbys:

Ca'Dario - My favorite Italian in SB. Casual and comfortable.
Brophy Brothers - SB seafood overlooking the harbor. Very casual and can be crowded.
Boathouse at Hendry's Beach - Decent seafood in one of the few beachside restaurants in SB.

Note: RC's location puts LA traffic into play if you need to get to LAX in the afternoon. Traffic starts to get really intense by 3pm so factor that it your travel time. Typically, a round at Rustic will take much more time than a private like The Valley Club. Less of a concern on a Monday but a simple check of available tee times on the RC website will give you insight if there are any leagues or tournaments in the morning.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 06:45:18 PM »
Anthony,

Your cancelled trip got revived? Great news!

As far as eating options, if you can eat on the deck at The Valley Club, make sure you do.

Bucatini on State St, right in the heart of Santa Barbara, is fantastic and right over the road you'll find Santa Barbara Brewing Company. I sampled about four or five of their brews and they were all delicious.

Yes, I think the partner is anxious to get started on this project while our client still has some money... thanks for the dining recommendations. I will certainly take advantage of the food option at the club since the sun will be setting over the Pacific right when I finish.

Next!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »
The one restaurant I never miss during one of my frequent trips to SB is Super-Rica on Milpas Street.  Super Mexican food at super affordable prices.  Montecito matrons at picnic tables under the tent next to construction workers.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/santabarbara/D43652.html

Alex Miller

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 08:38:23 PM »
The one restaurant I never miss during one of my frequent trips to SB is Super-Rica on Milpas Street.  Super Mexican food at super affordable prices.  Montecito matrons at picnic tables under the tent next to construction workers.

^^^^
THIS

Me too Bill. Get the chorizo quesadilla, my personal favorite!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »
La Cumbre is an option for golf. It is in the Hope Ranch development. You would be going slightly North or away from LA if that matters. Private course that allows some outside play. 

Andy Troeger

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 08:48:54 PM »
Wait, no recommendations for Lost Canyons? I'm disappointed! I actually enjoyed the Sky Course--its about as different from the Valley Club as you can get, that's for sure. Rustic certainly is the better golf course...

If you had any way to get access, Sherwood is right on the way and fantastic.

But mainly enjoy the Valley Club. Its really a fantastic place. Rustic is very good, but from only play I think Valley Club is in another league. The environmentally sensitive areas as Rustic seemed to go against the spirit of the place, and I of course found a few of them.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »
Sandpiper is not the end of the world (although it is past Goleta.)  A few very good holes and a terrific setting, although it is way overpriced.   Generally, the course isn't as good as some think or as bad as others think and it is hard to beat playing in Santa Barbara weather next to the ocean.  

I would vote for Sandpiper, disappointing is some ways for sure, but after The Valley Club most things are a letdown (from what I hear) so take in the views and hang out in Santa Barbara a little longer.  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:07:16 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 09:09:22 PM »
Get a room at San Ysidro
Eat at Cava
drive straight to Rustic in the morning.

Rustic is the cat's meow. Unless you can pull Riv or LA North on a Monday there's nowhere in SCA I would rather play.

Don't bother with the other courses mentioned, you'd be net ahead to go sit on a beach and read a book.

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Alex Miller

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 09:18:20 PM »
Not to mention the fact that Rustic is closer to LAX than any other course mentioned, which takes some guess work out of the traffic.

Also it's just better.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »
If you are with a dear friend I would check in at the San Ysidro Ranch, get a small suite, have a drink at the bar and dine in their restaurant.

Good food, good service, splendid climate and a deep emotional experience to follow. Bring a a full wallet.

Bob 

DMoriarty

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 10:12:37 PM »

No offense to Messrs. Bill and Alex, but while I do appreciate La Super-Rica, often when I have tried to eat there I have encountered a very long line (oftentimes 1 hr. plus, no kidding) and more tourists than construction workers.  That is the price you pay I guess when eating at a restaurant who has gotten more mileage out of Julia Childs that Mr. Childs ever could have, and which is prominently listed in the likes of Frommers and every other guidebook.  Who knew Julia Childs was an expert on Mexican food?  

No doubt the food is often top notch, but the setting is a bit of a dive and the food has its off days.  Nothing worse than waiting an hour wait for dry, chalky conchinita pibil.  I often wonder if it wasn't more of a find twenty or thirty years ago when Americans (including apparently Julia Childs) were first discovering that Mexico City taco cart fare could be excellent and not really that unhealthy.  But then I live in Southern California so I am a bit spoiled for this sort of thing.  I honestly think some of the taco stands and construction crew food trucks in Los Angeles are just as good or even better.  (This isn't necessarily a knock on Super-Rica, some of these are phenomenal.)

Not that Rose Cafe doesn't have its off days, but I give it a break because I like fact that its been around since the 1920s and in the same location since for over a half century.  Everything is made fresh and last I was there the proprietor, now in her 90s, was still involved preparing much of it each morning. They have an old menu on the wall from the 30s or 40s, and except for the prices, the menu is similar today.  Surely the food shouldn't be good for you, but somehow it seems like it must be.

Really you can't go too wrong with either, and it depends upon what you are in the mood for; ala carte taco cart fare, or homey mexican cafe food with all the unhealthy fixings (don't miss the pickled carrots and peppers if you really like heat.)   They aren't so far apart distancewise, so why not try both?  

La Super-Rica

Rose Cafe

Jon is correct about staying at San Ysidro, especially if you are traveling with someone other than a golf buddy, and if price is no object.  He is correct about the golf as well.

Andy,  I agree that if one wants to see something completely different then Lost Canyons Sky is that, but give me free golf at either Sky or Sherwood, and I'd still pay to play eight out of ten of my next rounds at Rustic, at least.  
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 10:35:32 PM »
David,
The Lost Canyons comment was admittedly somewhat in jest. I would guess that the first round there for me was the most fun and that replays would get a little less exciting once the scenery wears off. As you know from our Black Rock conversations, I enjoy mountain goat golf at least occasionally, so that fits.

Regarding Sherwood and Rustic, I think a lot of that comes down to personal preference. The courses are very different to be sure. I personally tend to favor Sherwood and if I could only play one again it would be Sherwood, however, if you told me I had to play 100 rounds between them I'd probably start to favor Rustic eventually because I'd get tired of Sherwood beating me up especially off the tee. To an extent, that says something about my (lack of) game though, and in fairness I lost about the same amount of balls at Rustic because of the ESA's as I did at Sherwood.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 11:14:47 PM »
Tonight on the Food Network (The Best thing I ever ate) they had a person talk about the
D"Angelo Bakery
25 W Gutierrez St
Santa Barbara, CA
(805) 962-5466

A dish called Eggs Rose looked pretty good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/the-best-thing-i-ever-ate/totally-unexpected/index.html

DMoriarty

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 11:20:09 PM »
Andy, I wasn't kidding about Lost Canyons Sky.  I do think it is worth seeing of one is interested in seeing something really different and really severe.  You won't be surprised to hear that it too is a favorite of Matt Ward.  He was even shilling it as a possible US Open course at one time, if you can believe that.

But I can see why some cart-ballers like the Sky course. It is infinitely better than a travesty like Black Rock in my opinion, and I do like some of the holes individually, and one stretch on the front nine.  But as a whole it is incredibly severe to the point of being unplayable, especially in the wind which howls like at Rustic or moreso. I cannot imagine how many golf balls the average movie mogul wannabe hack looses out there.  And it must set some sort of a record for uphill par fours and how many times one must drive directly into the side of a hill.  But it is a lot better than Lost Canyon's Shadow, if that even still exists.  

An ex-playing partner at Rustic used to say that a good day was golf at Rustic and then lunch at Lost Canyons.  Believe it or not I am much kinder to the course than many I know.

As for Rustic, I guess one can complain legitimately complain about the ESA's at Rustic (or at any course) but with fairways 40-60 yards wide I don't have too much sympathy for the claim.  Do you dock courses like Prairie Dunes or Sand Hills similarly?  A ball missing the corridor is just as lost or more lost at those places than at Rustic.   Call it ESA or not, there are few courses where if you it it 40+ yards off center that you don't risk loosing a few balls.  Sherwood has as many lost ball areas, Lost (Ball) Canyons has many more but neither has the width to adequately deal with them.

Play real golf (match play) and losing an occasional ball is not the end of the world.  

One note on Rustic's ESA's; technically they are only supposed to extend from the center-line of the actual wash something like 30 or 50 ft. to each side (I don't remember he exact number.)  After the floods and fires the management liberally expanded the the ESA's to encompass a much larger area, originally to allow for grow back.  
But unfortunately they were left in place for pace of play, as were many "temporary" fences to keep carts from killing the new growth.  So, many of the areas now marked ESA's were never supposed to be designated as such (both sides of the 16th fairway, for just one example.)  If one reads the USGA rules, ESA's have to be officially designated by some governing entity and these were not.  I wouldn't know anything of it myself, but I have heard that many the locals treat many of these areas more as sensitive hazards than as entirely off limit areas, being careful not to disturb anything, I am sure, while they play out of them.  

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:30:30 PM by DMoriarty »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 11:28:13 PM »
Ease on downtown and hang out with a beautiful girl. Santa Barbara is good living.

DMoriarty

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 11:30:47 PM »
Ease on downtown and hang out with a beautiful girl. Santa Barbara is good living.

Amen to that.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 11:45:22 PM »
David,
I do lower Prairie Dunes a bit because of the unplayable gunch. I respect what's in between the lines a great deal, but I'd like it better if the gunch had some aspect of playability. The frustration I had at Rustic is that those areas would be easy to play from if they were "allowed." Its a problem that exists on just about every desert course too, but at least as you say at Rustic the corridors are wider than most.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back