News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

M. Shea Sweeney

Modern teaching and modern architecture
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:20:42 PM »
Has teaching in golf gone hand in hand with architecture over the years?

Is there a correlation between present day teaching and present day architecture?

Could it be that teaching has influenced architecture or visa-versa?

Kevin_Reilly

Re: Modern teaching and modern architecture
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »
Could you expand on your question a bit...first can you clarify that by "teaching" you mean golf swing instruction, and not architecture or design instruction?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:08:14 PM »

I feel it is the total lack of understanding that they should go hand in hand. Teaching is just about playing the game, and zero regards architecture/design.  Go into any club and start a discussion on design and you will have many looking at you as if you are talking a foreign language.

You will get comments  ‘Of course the place was designed, just like the club house, but more effort has been put into the club house than the course'. It’s not their fault, they were never taught or advised about the design of Holes, Green or courses, so why would it be important.

It’s down to the individual to have a real interest in the game, of self-education or if lucky friends or family who have taken an interest in the past.

I would love to see kids grasping the basic concept and taking an interest in design, which I fell is very much linked to the history of the game, not just in Scotland but worldwide.

Alas we have still some ground to cover before enlightenment let alone teaching will be spread among the masses.

Melvyn   

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »

I feel it is the total lack of understanding that they should go hand in hand. Teaching is just about playing the game, and zero regards architecture/design. 

Melvyn-

Are you saying that architecture/design has nothing to do with playing the game?

Cristian

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:21:28 PM »
If pro's start teaching about the long putt from off the green, the 8 iron 50 yds bump and run from a firm fairway and the bump and run into the bank of a raised green in f&f circumstances yes, but in all honesty, at least where I come from, I think teaching is still in the 'dark ages'.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:45:03 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Brian Marion

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »
At the club level I would say that modern design has influenced students in what they ask teachers to teach. The high soft landing shot.

I've never heard anyone ask how to hit a 6 iron bump and run.

I rarely ever hear of even a putting lesson which is a shame as our pro is one of the best short game guys I've ever met.

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 10:04:44 PM »
Lets look at Hockey for a second--

Removing the "Red Line" and taking away the two line pass. How much has this affected coaches strategies?

Improvements in the Zamboni, boards, ice surface--making the game faster--how much as this affected coaching strategies?

Is there no correlation between teaching and architecture?

Architects--has your architecture been influenced by the way you were taught to play?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:13:06 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:24:03 PM »
I wouldn't say teaching influences architecture at all, it follows it. Equipment changes, like a more lively ball and 'better' clubs, have influenced both disciplines.

Architecture is the horse, the teaching of golf is the cart.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back