News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Greenville (SC) Country Club - Riverside Course
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:38:33 AM »
The club's web-site lists Ross as the original architect, followed by George Cobb in the '60's and a Brian Silva renovation "in the style of Seth Raynor" a few years ago.   If so, that would suggest a fantastic tandem with the beautiful Chanticleer course.

Any insight?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Greenville (SC) Country Club - Riverside Course
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 10:43:57 AM »
Mike,
  I was one of the final candidates for the Superintendent's job there several years ago while still at Long Cove. I got a detailed tour of the golf course, as they were deep into construction and have seen alot of pictures since. It came out VERY good with Raynor type green sites and bunkers will a lot more contouring and shape than most Raynor courses that we know.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 05:19:38 PM »
when was the worked done?... completed?  There was a thread on this back in '06, but it didn't garner many replies.

does anyone have any photos of the course?  i use to travel down to Greenville back in the 90's for work and had always heard of the Chanticleer course... curious to see what Riverside looks like with Silva's redo, which I assume will look somewhat like Black Creek in TN (http://www.blackcreekclub.com/3e4e745a9ea222b88a88d6407cf15a23.html).

WW

Adam_Messix

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:07:17 PM »
The original course at Riverside was designed by William Langford, that's where everyone gets the Raynor style from.  There's only one original hole left, I think it's the 4th along the roadside.  The hole was named Langford when the renovation was completed.  Brian Silva did a very nice job renovating the course a few years ago.  Definitely worth the effort to visit.  The club's Trent Jones designed Chanticleer course is outstanding too, a frequent visitor to the Top 100 lists back in the 80s and early 90s. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back