News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Hayes

WWW: WET, WINDY, and WILD
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »
I can't take it any more, I have to purge these feelings I have...

The wind and rain against my window woke me hours ago, I am ready, I hope...
I sit in the Bandon Beach Motel with a few short hours until I get to take my first swings at OLD MAC! 

The forecast for today...21-24 mph winds, gust to 37, chance of precip...%100.  It is warm though, probably 50 degrees.  It has been a total deluge since we left Seattle yesterday, the forecast is quite nice for the rest of the week, which is good since I will be here until the 24th. 

I could not be more excited, this is settling up to be the most extreme day I have spent here since Jan 2000, when we had pins blowing out of the holes.

I can already taste the post round Jubel Ale and some Oyster Stew.

WHEN ITS BREEZY, SWING EASY!!!!

Michael
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Patrick_Mucci

Re: WWW: WET, WINDY, and WILD
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:57:26 AM »
Michael,

Please tell us how the round went

Michael Hayes

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 12:01:55 PM »
Mr. Mucci...

I promise to provide all of the gory details,

My father and I our now going to BT clubhouse for Breakfast and to watch the 1st quarter of the SeaChickens game...Balls in the air @11:30 PST...

Michael
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 12:17:31 PM »
I'm sure you will be most impressed with the turf, especially after all this rain. Ken Nice and crew really do an amazing job. Hopefully it will be a typical coastal pattern of intermittent squalls. Not a constant heaping upon of endless moisture.

I dare you to try and get the smile off your face, after you are done with 18 holes.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Michael Hayes

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 08:36:32 PM »
Just got dry and will give a couple of quick thoughts before I go and consume mass quantities...

This round was the 2nd most extreme wind and weather I have ever played in.  The worst was Lundin Links in Sept. 2000.

Old Mac is more wide than the old course. 

I peed on the 67yd marker on Leven, from the 84yd marker.

I ripped driver on Redan from 215 --- 20 yds short.

Maiden was my favorite hole after 1 round.

I am even par through 2 plays of the Road hole.  1 here, 1 @TOC.

The only bunker I hit into was on 2, strath was a magnet.

Normally I use the cheater line, not today, and maybe never again. 

Greens are huge but not hard to putt, except for punchbowl...(4 Jack anyone?)

Great day of golf with my father, 25+ mph wind, 40+gusts, constant, and I mean constant rain.  Every par four into the wind was Driver,3 metal,something else...

I will post a picture or 2 of my dad and I before and after a little later...

BTW I played great today...

Michael

Bandonistas Unite!!!

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 09:35:57 PM »
Michael...this sounds like my first 2 intiation rounds at OM just before Thanksgiving...though different wind...one day straight off the ocean, one day no wind...just torrential rain (first time I've ever used an umbrella at Bandon)...

Though fun and worthy of many crazy memories, I am looking forward to the forecast for next Saturday through Tuesday....sun, partly cloudy and CHANCE of showers....No need for the all day torrents, or worse yet the snow we woke up to on Tuesday before Thanksgiving that wiped clean the tee sheets at all the courses for the day.

Enjoy a Jubel for me...

William_G

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »
Myself and a high school buddy are playing this week Wed-Thurs-Fri, forecast is improving, hope you and your dad can stay a few more days.
It's all about the golf!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 10:51:50 PM »
Couldn't help but think of you and your Dad, as I sat in front of the woodstove today, rain lashing the sideboards of the house.....
.....I told you I would meet you as you came down 18....but just couldn't get myself out in it!

.....and I missed your 4 jack!!

Sounds like you had fun, Michael.   
I'll be lookin for you tomorrow.

And you as well Mr. Grieve, later in the week!

Tom
the pres

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 10:57:48 PM »
Michael,

Enjoy your rounds with your dad.

Those are the great memories that will last long after you've forgotten your shots and scores
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:16:16 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Michael Hayes

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:01:36 PM »
William, we will be playing golf until the 24th so the weather gods will shine on us.  I have spent over 100 days down here during the last 2 weeks of Jan. since 1999, today by far and away was the most extreme weather that I have experienced @ Bandon.

Old Mac really plays fair, I think that the south wind, I mean a normal 1-2 club south wind will really make littlestone play tough, I almost lost a ball left of fairway across maintenance path today...

The green crew did a great job of course setup, I played back on all downwind and crosswind hole and up one on all into wind holes.  they put the tee all the way back on Ocean, that neat little tee next to the cape green (435 yds).

The wind was so strong that into the wind holes easily played 150+yds longer, like I said before Driver, 3 metal, then something else usually a punch 4 or 6.  Downwind the ball got knocked down pretty quick and the turf wasn't running as it normally does so I felt that I really only gained 15-20 yds downwind.  It was a really interesting day, not really a day to appreciate GCA but a day to look within ones self as a golfer.  

just to brag, the marshal carts were constantly ferrying groups in that were quitting, the 2some we were paired with made it 2 holes.  My father and I finished in 4hrs, 5min...

Michael

Bandonistas Unite!!!

Michael Hayes

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 11:03:29 PM »
Tom,

I would have thought you an idiot if you came out to see us finish today.  Balls in the air 8am Trails...

Michael
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Michael Hayes

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 11:12:44 PM »
Here is a picture of my father and I just before teeing off 1.

Here I am on Westward HO!

Bandonistas Unite!!!

William_G

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 11:17:29 PM »
William, we will be playing golf until the 24th so the weather gods will shine on us.  I have spent over 100 days down here during the last 2 weeks of Jan. since 1999, today by far and away was the most extreme weather that I have experienced @ Bandon.

Old Mac really plays fair, I think that the south wind, I mean a normal 1-2 club south wind will really make littlestone play tough, I almost lost a ball left of fairway across maintenance path today...

The green crew did a great job of course setup, I played back on all downwind and crosswind hole and up one on all into wind holes.  they put the tee all the way back on Ocean, that neat little tee next to the cape green (435 yds).

The wind was so strong that into the wind holes easily played 150+yds longer, like I said before Driver, 3 metal, then something else usually a punch 4 or 6.  Downwind the ball got knocked down pretty quick and the turf wasn't running as it normally does so I felt that I really only gained 15-20 yds downwind.  It was a really interesting day, not really a day to appreciate GCA but a day to look within ones self as a golfer.  

just to brag, the marshal carts were constantly ferrying groups in that were quitting, the 2some we were paired with made it 2 holes.  My father and I finished in 4hrs, 5min...

Michael

Way to go, IMHO you should try driver, driver then punch whatever, LOL! Maybe we'll see you down there.
It's all about the golf!

astavrides

Re: WWW: WET, WINDY, and WILD New
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 09:53:44 AM »
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:51:40 PM by astavrides »

William_G

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 11:00:46 AM »
WWW became DCT: DRY, CALM, and TAME Wednesday thru Sunday!
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back