News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Re: Best Camera
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 12:53:16 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.

I read some plaudits for the Canon G9 and G10 on the other thread.  Any thoughts on those, or have they already been surpassed?

Also on the earlier thread Joe ID'd this as his piece:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091403_canon_sd800is.asp

Gary, good luck w/ your research on the cams.  That dpreview site is wonderful and that one above is what got me to buy the Canon SD800is a few years back.  And I've not upgraded since, with over 20,000 photos taken now.

If I may add a couple of other comments:

If a camera can't be made quiet, it would not interest me.  I don't want to have any chance of disturbing those around me (perhaps more than already!) by having a cam make clicking noises, etc.  My Canon is really quiet, except for powering it on/off and the lens extension noise.  But I'm confident it can only be heard from within maybe 5 feet.

Buy a big, say 4GB card, and one that is 'fast'.  They are cheap.  And even with my 7 megapixel cam where I shoot at the highest resolution possible, I think the card holds 3000 pics.  So there is really no way, unless you make a super long golf trip, to fill it up before downloading to your main computer.

I prefer shooting in 16x9 mode, which most decent cams have as a setting.  I think most pics on a golf course look better this way; there is just more going on in my mind horizontally rather than vertically.  Also, tv monitors make for a very nice display for the photos and if the pics are shot in 16x9, no cropping or stretching or anything is needed to display them on the tv.

Finally, once you have a handful of photos you'll find staying organized is a challenge.  For me, I'm a huge fan of iPhoto, a free program if you purchase a Mac.  It organizes my 20k+ pics, but also very nicely allows you to adjust your photos (crop, tilt, exposure, etc) as well.  A real good photographer I know, a Photoshop expert, prefers iPhoto for simple tweaks of his pics.

P.S.  I really like Galerie as the program to interface with iPhoto that easily builds nifty albums, which allow commentary to be added to each pic.  And Galerie is free.  But, unfortunately, there is not a PC version of it.

You can check out many of my photo albums at one of two places:

1.  Joe Logan's MyPhillyGolf.com at this direct link:  http://www.myphillygolf.com/gallery.asp

2.  Frank Pont's GolfArchitecturePictures.com

Edit:  Dan Moore's recent post is excellent.  At some point I will get another camera, a much better one, to supplement my Canon 800is.  But for my current needs, this old Canon is small and durable and easy to get in and out of my pocket, and takes really good pics compared to just about all other point and shoot cams out there.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

C. Squier

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 01:52:50 PM »
Joe, if you have 20k+ pics I'd suggest upgrading to Apple's Aperture software. It's only $79 now on the new App store, down from $200+.

It's worth the original $200 too.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 02:05:59 PM »
Joe, if you have 20k+ pics I'd suggest upgrading to Apple's Aperture software. It's only $79 now on the new App store, down from $200+.

It's worth the original $200 too.

Thanks for the knowledge Clint.  I guess now I need to upgrade at least one of my five Macs to running Snow Leopard, as I can't currently access the Mac App Store w/ 2 Leopards and 3 Tigers (believe it or not).

Just read that Aperture does interface with Galerie via iPhoto, which is nice.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 03:01:04 PM »
Apple is evil!  Microsoft is your friend :)

Gary Daughters

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 03:28:53 PM »

Joe, thanks for the great info.  I was just at Best Buy and nearly pulled the trigger on the Canon SX210IS, but it's on sale for another week so I figured I'd do a little more research.  It's a good learning process.  I like your point about a "quiet" camera, something I'd never even thought of.

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Steve D

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »
Gary,

I just returned a Canon SX210is to Best Buy this morning.  The flash is a pop up flash.  I thought it wouldn't be a big deal because I assumed that if the flash was set to off that it wouldn't pop up.  Since 99% of my photography is done outdoors on a golf course I wouldnt really be needing the flash so I could just set it to off.  Unfortunately the flash popped up even when it was set to off.  The pop up flash does create some noise and also some pain in the neck factor so I returned it.  I just ordered a Panasonic DCM ZS7.  It got really good reviews and is a similar camera to the Canon SX210is.  I had to order it online so I'm hoping when it gets here it wont be too beepy and noisy.

Steve

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
Joe
Is the 800 wide angle?
My 870 is wider than my SLR with a 25mm lens.
Picassa is great, even for 20,000+ pictures - I can't compare to iphoto

Gary
Every professional landscape (especially golf) photographer uses a wide angle lens
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, 04:32:41 PM »
And one other thing:  I've seen more than a couple of photos posted here (!) where clearly the colors are so far out of whack I really don't know what has happened.  Is the camera bad, camera settings wrong, or post processing all out of sorts?!  IMO, if you are going to play around with colors in your post-processing, then make sure your computer monitor settings are as good as they can be.  There are calibration programs out there to do at least a decent job of getting the colors accurate.  If you are on a Mac, it is in the Displays part of the System Preferences (and turn on the Expert Mode too).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:45:45 PM by Joe Bausch »

Gary Daughters

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 04:45:30 PM »

Mike, I was trying to discuss that issue with the guy at the Best Buy, and I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about.  But neither do I, because I was looking for an answer that might be expressed as an aspect ratio, and he was tossing out mm's.  He basically said "they're all the same," and I don't see how that could be correct.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Steve D

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 05:52:49 PM »
What is considered a wide angle lens??

Steve

Tom Yost

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 09:56:37 PM »
What is considered a wide angle lens??

Steve

Usually described in "35mm" equivalent.  28mm or less is considered wide angle. 

I've been unhappy with my (wife's) point and shoot for golf photography (Canon SD1100).  Just checked the specs and it is 38mm.  Guess that 'splains it.   Like the Best Buy salesman, I thought they were all the same! 

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 12:08:31 AM »

Mike, I was trying to discuss that issue with the guy at the Best Buy, and I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about.  But neither do I, because I was looking for an answer that might be expressed as an aspect ratio, and he was tossing out mm's.  He basically said "they're all the same," and I don't see how that could be correct.

Yes the mm = equivalent lens of a SLR.
The lower the number the wider the angle.
The lens is closer to the "film" and has greater peripheral vision (has nothing to do with the aspect ration of the screen)
You can take a group portrait shot from much closer than a normal lens or get more people in your group shot from the same distance or bunkers or what ever
Cons - greater distortion at the edges of the picture

For $119 you can get this
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-2-7-Inch-Silver/dp/B0035FZJKI/
and a little more a 4 gb flash drive
I'd suggest a spare battery - although mine lasts for almost 1,000 pictures.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back