News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Who are the best greenkeepers in the US?
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2011, 08:24:37 AM »

(Tony Nysse; How much did Furlong pay you to put a plug in for him????Shameless.)

Pete,
  BIG $$$...a pack of bubble yum and a bag of skittles, also!
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2011, 08:27:29 AM »
No list is complete without Dan Lucas and his staff at the Kingsley Club.

Some of the best, if not the best, playing surfaces I have witnessed.  Firm, fast, and fun done perfectly.

Agreed. And bias notwithstanding, this course is objectively worth describing as one of the best conditioned courses you'll play (at least in the States).

But as important, Dan is a REALLY nice guy...

archie_struthers

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2011, 09:18:47 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Have had the pleasure to work with meet and hang with some wonderful superintendents. I have tremendous respect for the work ethic and talent of these guys.

But , given the body of his work and the unbelievable ability to transform, maintain, and produce outstanding turf conditions, Dick Bator stands out in my mind. His work at Pine Valley, Oak Hill, Merion and Atlantic City CC astonished me at times.   He is truly a Hall of Fame superintendent!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2011, 09:44:52 AM »
Probably some guy working at an"unknown" course working on a shoe string budget but has his course immaculate everyday....

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2011, 12:10:19 PM »
     In my opinion, Charley Carr saved Rolling Green.  Best grass grower we've had there in my 32 years (with apologies to John Gosselin, who was also great).  He can keep a course firm, fast and green.  He seems to know when to push and when to back off, so we've never suffered a serious downturn when others have.  And he has the balls to stand up to the membership, even when he ruffles a few feathers - always a little risky for an employee, but not when he's right a very large percentage of the time.

Ken Moum

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2011, 01:55:45 PM »
Probably some guy working at an"unknown" course working on a shoe string budget but has his course immaculate everyday....

Actually, I'd nominate the guys working under those conditions who manage to deliver a golf course at all in some environments.

As someone who grew up in northern states but who now lives in the transition zone, with a bit of experience playing in the south, i am amazed at the obstacles faced by transition zone supers.

A typical muni with acceptable turf in NE Kansas might have a budget that's much larger than a decent country club up north.

And growing cool-season grassed here amazingly difficult, thanks to weeks of high humidity and heat indexes over 100.

Sadly, weather like today (a low of 0* with a highin the teens) seems to pretty much preclude using warm-season grasses.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Lester George

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2011, 02:25:44 PM »

According to Golf World Magazine (2010) the Best maintained golf course in the US is Kinloch.  I think that confirms that Pete Wendt is sure to be on anyones list.  Its amazing that a cool season golf course in the transition zone is number one on that list, which is even more a testament to Petes abilities. 

I would also include John Gosselin who I worked with at DuPont and Jeff Klontz at Country Club of Florida.  I have worked with some very talented guys in my 24 years doing this and those three are exceptional.  Many others are good as well and most fall into the excellent "unsung hero's" category. 

Lester

Mike Salinetti

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2011, 03:52:42 PM »
My vote goes to the man whose course is always ranked at the top, Rick Christian at Pine Valley. I was very fortunate to be an assistant of Rick and he truely is one of the greatest.
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2011, 05:04:25 PM »
According to Golf World Magazine (2010) the Best maintained golf course in the US is Kinloch.  I think that confirms that Pete Wendt is sure to be on anyones list.  Its amazing that a cool season golf course in the transition zone is number one on that list, which is even more a testament to Petes abilities.  

Certainly not to take anything away from Pete Wendt, but everyone knows that Golf World is a joke. Regardless, Pete is one of the best and still look back on my day at Kinloch 4 years ago and was blown away by it's condition. Plus, his Assistants continue to get very good jobs, producing very well maintained courses.
 According to Golf Digest, the top 10 conditioned courses in the country are:

Augusta Natl (9.27) The Quarry (8.74) Oakmont (8.70) Double Eagle (8.65) Pine Valley (8.62) Shinnecock (8.56) Muirfield Village (8.49) Caynata (8.44) Oak Hill (8.42) Chicago GC (8.41)

But, you're really splitting hairs at this point. I'd include Butler National, NGLA, Kinloch, Sage Valley, Dallas National, Aronimink. Conditioning is totally subjective
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:24:14 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »
In 2008, Sand Hills had some of the truest greens I've experienced.

Adam Jessie is working wonders at St. George's on Long Island.

Stone Eagle boasts some amazing overseeded fairways and greens in the winter time.

Stevinson Ranch offers some very fast, firm and true conditions. It's very impressive for a moderately-priced public course that receives tons of play in an modest fgricultural region of California.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Lester George

« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2011, 05:43:51 PM »

Anthony,

You may think Golf World is a joke but the survey I am referring to was according to the readers.  I don't weigh the magazines so I have no reason to apply one above the other.  Makes no sense to me to argue or debate it.  You can find anyone who will say each golf publication is a joke to somone, but that wasn't my point.

Lester

Matt_Ward

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »
All of this talk about the best superintendents fails to highlight a few things ...

1). The kind of budget available.

2). The kind of equipment available.

3). The kind of staffing levels available.

4). The type of soils and weather patterns encountered.

Frankly, I am less impressed when people have the first three items at a high level. No doubt they still deserve credit.

But, when I see a facility where the main man is doing it predominantly and when there's less $$ available -- and when they have to handle Mother Nature's unpredictability (especially for those courses that straddle the margin between the pure bermuda areas and those bent oriented -- then you have someone with plenty of talent.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2011, 06:24:18 PM »
Don Mahaffey at Wolf Point.  Low budget, linksy conditions.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2011, 11:35:57 PM »
I think we should have a worst list. 

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2011, 12:19:54 PM »
All of this talk about the best superintendents fails to highlight a few things ...

1). The kind of budget available.

2). The kind of equipment available.

3). The kind of staffing levels available.

4). The type of soils and weather patterns encountered.

Frankly, I am less impressed when people have the first three items at a high level. No doubt they still deserve credit.

But, when I see a facility where the main man is doing it predominantly and when there's less $$ available -- and when they have to handle Mother Nature's unpredictability (especially for those courses that straddle the margin between the pure bermuda areas and those bent oriented -- then you have someone with plenty of talent.

You are right on time Matt!  I will take the guy who makes a 600k budget look like a 1.2 million budget over any of the top 5 percenters.  That, to most of the golfing industry, is the true measure of a superintendent.  However... I admire them all.  That is why I married one.

D_Malley

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »
i would love to see a thread like this with some of the qualifiers Matt suggests.
Best supts with less than $750K budget and staff of less than 10.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2011, 01:52:09 PM »
It's much more than just a number. A $750k budget in Wisconsin or Michigan is a pretty big budget. A $750k in FL is pennies. There is so many variables that go into what the actually number is. Bentgrass in Atlanta vs Ultradwaft is one of many. It's more than just a number.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Joe Bausch

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2011, 01:52:26 PM »
i would love to see a thread like this with some of the qualifiers Matt suggests.

My guess would be your guy at Paxon would qualify.

And Dave Civitello at my home course, Shannondell, does a phenomenal job with a budget less than 500k.

Joe
---------------
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ben Sims

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2011, 01:54:50 PM »

Okay, I've resisted the urge.  But Bill McBride mentioned him and then the man called me out on the food and golf thread.  My friend Don Mahaffey sure puts on a show back home Texas.  He's got a small yet talented crew that he treats like family.  He manages a course that is as unique and extraordinary as anything out there.  He espouses principles of management that you just don't hear a lot of folks talking about.  

I am getting a tremendously valuable education through Penn State and your taxpayer dollars.  But I learn more in one day with Don than a semester of turf edaphology.  

Here is a link to some of Don's ideas.

http://nuzzogolfcoursedesign.blogspot.com/2009/12/19-things-you-can-do-to-save-cost-on.html

Lester George

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2011, 02:05:22 PM »

Ben,

What is his annual budget?  How many acres of turf does he maintain?

Lester

Steve Okula

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2011, 02:29:27 PM »
My friend Don Mahaffey sure puts on a show back home Texas.  He's got a small yet talented crew that he treats like family.  He manages a course that is as unique and extraordinary as anything out there.  He espouses principles of management that you just don't hear a lot of folks talking about.  

I am getting a tremendously valuable education through Penn State and your taxpayer dollars.  But I learn more in one day with Don than a semester of turf edaphology.  
[/quote]

I aced that course, but I still don't know what "edaphology" means. It isn't even in my Webster's Unabridged.

I've yet to meet Don personally, but you know, after a few decades in this business, you develop an instinct for people who know what they're talking about, and every one of Don's posts here and on the GCSAA web site have rung true.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Ben Sims

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »

Ben,

What is his annual budget?  How many acres of turf does he maintain?

Lester

Lester,

I actually don't know what the budget is down there.  I'd be shocked--truly--if his budget is over 750K/yr. 

As far as turf goes, I believe Don manages somewhere between 80-90 acres of Emerald Bermuda greens and Tif 419 Bermuda Fairways.  There is no rough cut.  It is all green or fairway. 

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2011, 03:33:40 PM »
Ben...more tacos for you...Bill McBride I'll cook for you next time your down. Nuzzo will buy the drinks.

Steve, thank you. I think you and I share the same practical look at greenkeeping. I'd like to meet you but not sure I'll be going to Orlando this year. If your coming all the way over your welcome to come to the middle of nowhere TX and have a taco, cold beer and play some golf.

Lester,
We have 5 acres of greens and 80 acres of 419 cut at fwy height. I know your a fan of different bermudas but the emerald and 419 have worked out quite well in providing a firm, bouncy golf turf.
We have very little play, no tournament or special events, so our maintenance expenses will automatically be less than a similar course with more rounds. Having said that the course is in very nice shape, as good as its ever been, and we try hard to keep it that way. I don’t use a budget and when I tell people that they usually think that means unlimited funds which is not how we operate. We use a zero based approach to maintenance costs and keep track of our spending vs previous months and years.  We try as hard as we can to get by with what we have and if we need something, we buy it. Not very fancy I know but we have reduced maintenance expenses for four consecutive years and in '10 we came in under 500K which includes all taxes, insurance, and any administrative costs associated with the property.

I've been very fortunate to have an owner give me free reign to do it any way I wanted with the only directive being keep it nice and be practical about it.

One guy I've met in TX who deserves some props is Charles Joakum (I hope I spelled it right) at Champions Golf Club. That is a busy place with lots of low handicap golfers who I imagine could be a bit demanding. Whenever I've played Champions its been fast, dry and all about the golf. Not a lot of fluff going on there.

JMEvensky

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »
Don Mahaffey(and others),I'm a layman in the turfgrass stuff,but I speak the Board/Green Committee side pretty fluently.

Your comment about having no budget strikes me as the best way to go about it.If a club hires a good Super whom they trust and spells out the playability expectations,wouldn't this be the best of all worlds?

The Super knows better than anyone how to achieve the playability.The fixed costs don't change much from year to year.There will always be extraordinary occurences but there's really no way to budget for them.If the Super is good,he's going to look for the least expensive solution to a problem--even if "least expensive" means taking the long view.

Is it possible that setting a maintenance budget does more harm than good?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2011, 04:39:29 PM »
Don,
Charles Joachim has shared with me a ton.
I think the world of him.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back