News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stephen Britton

Re: Who are the best greenkeepers in the US?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 04:01:05 PM »
Pete Wendt is a horrible Sup. 

Ed Long is a better Sup than Pete Wendt.
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 04:22:10 PM »
Most of all, they all have a great attitude ... they ask us what we are trying to do, as opposed to telling us that some thing or another isn't going to work, which I've heard a few times over the years from other guys.  These guys are all good enough to make damned near ANYTHING work, if you just let them do their job; and they would be nice enough to tell us if we were about to build something stupid.

As soon as I read what Tom writes above, I immediately thought of Duane Sharpe at Blackhawk GC and Mike Rossi at Cabot Links (even though they're both in Canada... not the U.S.!).
jeffmingay.com

Mike_Young

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 05:15:51 PM »
Agree as to David Stone and a few of the guys he has trained are really good....BUT...I don't like this thread...there are a lot of good golf supts...most will not have the notoriety that is gained at places like the Honors etc....most labor away at one of the 16000 or so local courses making sure they are in budget and keep the owner or club in business....AND there is a lot to be said for that....so it is a misleading question..just like asking who is the best golf architect or club professional....
Now...as with golf architects, club professionals etc..there are some bad supts....and they frustrate the hell out of me...just lke any other profession...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Phil McDade

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »
Bob Lively at Flossmoor (this my third Flossmoor reference of the day -- on three separate threads!) maintains a very firm and fast course on Chicago's south side, which can't be easy during those summer months. Great greens, most dating back to the course's founding in 1899, maintained at a crispy, near-death, edging-toward brown-tinged condition -- perfect!

Steve Okula

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 05:48:02 PM »
Of course there are lots of great people in this business who'll never achieve fame (and some mediocre ones, too) but I view this thread as a positive for all supers, whether they're mentioned here or not. It elevates all of us when our colleagues are recognized for the job they do.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 06:23:12 PM »
Kyle MacDonald is the new greenskeeper at St. Ives and has done/is doing a great job.

And the greenskeeper at Atlanta  Country Club, his name escapes me, is off-the-charts amazing.  Although I am not a member there, I've played there a few times and even through the awful summer those bent greens were perfect!!

Mac,

You are thinking of Mark Esoda.  In fact he is about to be only the second superintendent inducted into the Ga Golf Hall of Fame in a week or so.  Palmer Maples is the other I believe and I think he is making the trip down for Mark.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »
As many have said on here many superintendents go under the radar screen and don't get their respect.  I know a couple that do an excellent job in presenting a course in marvelous condition throughout the season.

Joe Kosoglov (Wolf Run Golf Club)- He has this course in tip top shape all season and also in US open form all year too just how the members like it.  I always say this course could hold a US Open any day during the summer and not change a thing.

Jared Jeffries (Tumble Creek Golf Club)- Jared is a great guy, and a hell of player.  He knows how a course should play and tries to follow Doak's suggestions as much as possible.  It always plays fast and firm, as it should with all the wind there.  And the course has just impeccable fairways, tees, and greens.  The maintenance staff consists of good young guys that all know what they are doing out there.

Other courses that deserve recognition, but don't know the greens keepers name.
Wine Valley- perfect fast and firm surfaces.
Pronghorn- I have never seen anything better than this, it was just perfect all around.
Indian Wells Golf Resort- For the amount of rounds this place puts out, both courses always are in unbelievable shape.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:32:15 PM by PFerlicca »

Gary Slatter

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
IMHO there are so many good GK around the US and Canada and most will never be recognized for their efforts.  
Same goes for golf teachers, the best ones are the ones you'll never hear of.    
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Scott Furlong

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »
Terry Lavin,

It's just a joke.  Pete and I have known each other for 15 years, one of my best friends and he is the best.  There is no doubt he is one of the top Sups in the country.  For the record he has only been married once......................still married……..............over married....................but married.    

JC Jones

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 07:03:41 PM »
Again, Dan Lucas at Kingsley Club.  His turf at Kingsley is widely regarded as some if not THE best in the United States.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

John Shimp

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Interesting that some come up several times.  Also that there isn't a huge focus on top 10 in the US courses wteo multiple Shinnecock mentions.

I was a little surprised with mike young's post that he didn't like the topic.  No slights are intended. Just a chance to point out excellence. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 08:08:01 PM »
Terry Lavin,

It's just a joke.  Pete and I have known each other for 15 years, one of my best friends and he is the best.  There is no doubt he is one of the top Sups in the country.  For the record he has only been married once......................still married……..............over married....................but married.    

Well I was hoping that was the case!  Knowing Pete a little bit, your joke makes sense.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mike Jansen

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 08:08:32 PM »
Well this is the perfect opportunity to give the man at Spyglass Hill GC his due recognigtion... Bob Yeo.  Has been at the course for 5 years and the course has never looked better.  Come the second week in Feb when the Tour rolls through, Spy will have the best greens in the rota.  He has also improved the course drainage, rid of the ice plant and retored the natural beauty of the dunes, and has added tees and bunkers and blend perfectly.  

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 08:11:58 PM »
John,
I get where Mike is coming from. And you also.

I know guys that work on a miniscule budget, infrastructure, and resources, and run a great course on the smell of an oily rag...

The angle I find most interesting is the one TD mentioned, the Super that sets up the course as the Architect intended and the land/climate dictates. There will be examples where they are not encouraged to that either by owners, greens committees or managers or members - so they don't get the vote (not their fault). Some will not have the budget, resources or knowledge.

who manages the brief the best?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:22:52 PM by Brett Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 08:14:39 PM »
I was pretty impressed by Holston Hills back in May and from what Eric Smith told me Ryan Blair has done wonders there without a big team or budget keeping the course in impeccable shape as well as playing fast and firm. If I recall correctly, HH is one of the most northern bermuda courses too.

Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

John Shimp

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 08:23:28 PM »
Brent,
Thanks. Interpreting and maintaining architect intent Is huge for sure.  I wonder how many examples exist today where the supt has made changes or improved upon original design?  Used to be sups were remodeling continuously at a lot of courses.  Seems they are more greens committee controlled/shackled.  Not sure if that is better or worse than before?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 08:56:37 PM »
Yet another list?  Crazy man...crazy.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

John Shimp

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 09:07:09 PM »
It's not a list. It asks forindividual recognition of greenskeepers that do an excellent job presenting their courses and interpreting architect intent. There won't be any collation or ranking.

Craig do you have anything to add?   

Phil McDade

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 09:18:11 PM »
I was pretty impressed by Holston Hills back in May and from what Eric Smith told me Ryan Blair has done wonders there without a big team or budget keeping the course in impeccable shape as well as playing fast and firm. If I recall correctly, HH is one of the most northern bermuda courses too.

I've heard similar impressions of HHills -- thought to have a very good maintenance meld, and maintained in a way to encourage multiple approaches to how one plays the course.

Mike_Young

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 09:48:54 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Interesting that some come up several times.  Also that there isn't a huge focus on top 10 in the US courses wteo multiple Shinnecock mentions.

I was a little surprised with mike young's post that he didn't like the topic.  No slights are intended. Just a chance to point out excellence. 

John,
Sorry if I used the wrong word....did not mean anything toward the topic....there are just so many good ones that some would be left out without meaning too ....cheers
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2011, 10:13:06 PM »
There are SO MANY terrific Superintendents that any list does a disservice because of those inadvertantly left off of it.

Not to diminish anyone's skills or accomplishments, but, I think it's easier being an architect, because after you've completed the project, you leave, while a superintendent remains to field every complaint known to mankind.

A superintendent has to please every member and every member's spouse, every golfing day of the year, and then some.

It's a difficult job with far too many pseudo bosses and sidewalk superintendents.

My hat goes off to EVERY superintendent.

JESII

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2011, 10:35:19 PM »
In my opinion, this question has even fewer qualified answerer's than the quality architecture questions. Even the superintendents have very little idea what exactly the others deal with.

Sean_A

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2011, 03:36:11 AM »
Without any knowledge of member expectations, budgets and long term weather, the best conditioned course I have seen in the States these past several years is Yeamans Hall.  Excellent green surfaces and not overly groomed through the fairways and rough.  The second most impressive over recent years is the UofM course.  Rough is kept under control and the greens are usually in outstanding condition without being too fast.  I don't know the name of the supers, but well done.

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Pete Wendt

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2011, 07:56:26 AM »
Please start this list again when it comes time to negotiate contracts!!!!   I will gladly pay each of you three installments of $1.99 to put my name on the list.  Yes, that's three installments of $1.99, and a free Sham-Wow. (Shipping and handling not included.)

;D

(Tony Nysse; How much did Furlong pay you to put a plug in for him????Shameless.)

Dan Boerger

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2011, 08:00:55 AM »
I echo Pat's comments ... congrats to all in the business who work so hard and get such great results.

John Gosselin and his staff do an amazing job at Aronimink, and I also appreciate that he takes time to post here and provide his insights.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back