News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: How has your home course design influenced your thoughts on GCA ?
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 10:19:49 AM »
It took me a long time to LEARN to shoot low scores, and to this day, I am more of a consistent scorer than low scorer

Did your tournament results reflect this? Were you more successful in grind for par events than birdie fests like the Hope? I wish there were a little more discussion of Deal on here; seems like there was a long time ago.

-----

My home course gave me an appreciation for a good walk. And the added interest firm ground provides.

Nice thread, Niall.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Hendren

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »
Without a doubt.  Our 3,000 yards 9-holer was constructed by locals in 1970 on a dead flat to gently rolling cotton field.  With the exception of two abandoned fence rows, there were less than a dozen trees on site.  Runway tees were pushed up a couple of feet.  Very small greens were pushed up a few feet in front and curl up at the rear to leave fall-offs of four to eight feet. The putting surfaces spilled off the front edge.   The back hillside of the greens and one cut (with tractor and gang mower) all the way around were maintained as fairway (Geo. C. Thomas, Jr. would have loved them).  One quickly learned that long was death and the only recovery was to bump the 5-iron into the bank.  There is no fairway irrigation and the fairways were ridiculously wide.

Quite frankly, the green complexes are brilliant and I hope to one day return to take photographs and write a review.  The 7th hole is a 300 yards reverse redan if there ever was one and the 6th is a horizontal figure 8 with a false front and back in the middle.  

Regrettably, by the 1980's the planting of pine trees along the fairway edges all but ruined the golf course. 

Mike
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:06:20 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Niall C

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 01:10:11 PM »
I had 2 home courses.. 1 was a links/parkland course that was a James Braid design(1902) and the other a parkland course by Donald Steele(1991). The 2 courses could not be different in terms of architecture as you would expect but the biggest thing that struck me was how much better the Braid features would drain and not just because of the better soils but the way he moved the water away from his features. The Steele course was more receptive making the water move more into the playing areas creating constantly wet playing conditions.

So, yes my home course has influenced my thoughts on GCA, especially when building courses I am always looking at water surface runoff around features.

David

David

What are your two home courses ?

Niall

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 02:54:30 PM »
Kevin

Sorry for knicking your idea for the thread. I wasn't conscious I was doing it but should have known that I couldn't think up a good idea myself.

No need to apologize at all.  I'm sure if I look back prior to August, I'll discover someone asked a similar question before me.

If it generates good discussion (like it has), I'm glad to have the idea put forward again.

David Nelson

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 10:23:33 AM »
Niall,

My 2 home courses are Girvan Golf Club & Brunston Castle in South Ayrshire, Girvan is a par 64 muni course with 8 links holes and 10 parkland holes, Its a bit of a miss mash$but the course is great fun and there is always a constant wind to contend with! Brunston Castle is a parkland course set in the Girvan Valley. It also has some great holes but it remains wet about 10 months of year due to poor drainage.... but i suppose it does rain there about 10 months of the year!!

David

Niall C

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 01:30:27 PM »
Niall,

My 2 home courses are Girvan Golf Club & Brunston Castle in South Ayrshire, Girvan is a par 64 muni course with 8 links holes and 10 parkland holes, Its a bit of a miss mash$but the course is great fun and there is always a constant wind to contend with! Brunston Castle is a parkland course set in the Girvan Valley. It also has some great holes but it remains wet about 10 months of year due to poor drainage.... but i suppose it does rain there about 10 months of the year!!

David

David

I had a sneaky feeling that Brunston Castle was the parkland although it was Tom MacKenzie who did it when he was working with Donald Steel. I've played it and asked Tom about it when I met him about 10 years ago. I think he said it was his first course and I guess there's maybe things that he would do differently now. Certainly the greens aren't like Craigielaw for instance. From my one visit there I do remember it being a bit wet.

Tom MacKenzie is a Dornoch boy but I can't say I saw much of a Dornoch influence in that design one way or the other.

Niall

David Nelson

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 04:53:26 PM »
Niall,

I cannot remember Tom McKenzie being there but I do remeber visits from Donald Steele when it was under construction. I spent a summer in my early teens rock picking during the construction.

David

Dave McCollum

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 08:34:17 PM »
This is a fun topic.  I grew up thinking golf was a dumb game for old men and sissies that couldn’t play other sports.  Ironically, I spent a lot of my summer days around a golf course.  My parents were members of a private club down in a 500 foot deep rugged canyon.  There were beautiful pristine springs, crystal clear spring-fed lakes, no housing, countless wild overgrown acres surrounding the golf course, a major river beside it, and wildlife everywhere.   We (my best friend and I) hunted, fished, shot the rapids on our backsides, and had thousands of adventures.  At one point we even had a secret “fort” hidden in a dense thicket of brambles, trees, rocks, and streams where we could hide from the crusty head pro who was always trying to catch us “shooting” the forbidden rapids.  We stayed overnight there many times, cooking on an open fire the fish and crayfish that we caught.  We only ventured near the clubhouse if we were starving for a hot dog or burger.  We only went on the course to play tricks on the golfers—the ole snake in the cup for ladies day sort of thing.  Later on, we took girlfriends skinny dipping and explored a new side of nature.  I loved the place and still do as I live across the river from there today.

So what did I learn about gca from my home course?  That golf can accommodate a wonderful romp through a natural world, an outdoor sport played in all elements, that courses are home to all manner of critters, and that late at night putting greens can serve some delightful pursuits.  I almost never play a round of golf without pausing to take in the beauty of the landscape and remember in some fashion the freedom of those days.

Sometimes I think that I got into gca precisely because I thought it was a stupid game for my first 40 years.  Once I started playing I loved it, of course, so I gravitated to the literature, the history, and the design books almost as if I needed to find an intellectual justification for being addicted to such a stupid game.  Given the effort, thought, and intellectual aerobic displays that many on this site put into their posts, it would seem like we’re here to seek out other like-minded lunatics and that the study of golf architecture is just an excuse to justify a passion that we’d not find reasonable in other areas of our lives.  Once I attended a discussion group at a Harvard reunion where we were asked what we did with our free time away from work.  I said that I was on my way back from spending three weeks playing golf in Scotland.  The looks on the faces around me could not have been more shocked than if I had said that I was a HIV positive serial rapist.  Imagine if I told them that I had played 60 rounds of golf that year.   

I took a break from this post to walk over and have a drink with a couple of golfers in the clubhouse (time to end this).  There must have been 60 high school kids on the practice tee and putting green working on their games.  We have three high school teams here this year.  What a cool sight after a long winter.

Jason Topp

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2011, 05:48:41 AM »
When I stepped to the first tee at Waveland (Iowa) in the early morning on a steamy summer day, the scale of the hills, the old trees and the carry over the pond (probably 80 yards) made me feel like I had found a magical spot on this earth.  I was 12.  The memory of that view is still vivid today.  All great courses create a similar feeling, even if the elements that make the experience magical are entirely different.

The course taught me a tolerance for blind shots because I could not reach the ideal landing spots from the tee at that age.

I also considered trees the sign of a great course because many of the courses I had played up to that point were rural 9 holers with featureless holes lined by single rows of scrawny trees.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back