News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Shimp

Who are the best greenkeepers in the US?
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:39:27 AM »
Much is said on GCA.com about best course, best architect, best hole, best routing, etc.  I've seen a lot less regarding who are the people that do the best job presenting the architects intent day to day and even enhancing it over time. 

Some courses that I am familiar with that I think are well presented and enhanced are Honors Course where the greenkeeper always keeps fine surfaces but has thoroughly enhanced the place visually thru the the usage of native grasses and wild vines, etc.  Its just a beautiful place to play particularly in the fall.  Another is Yeamans Hall where Jim Yonce does a great job keeping the fairways lively, not over grooming the roughs and surrounds, and has dramatically improved the playing consistency of the deep bunkers.  The greens are always superb at YHC.

Other examples?  Thanks.

Carl Rogers

Re: Who are the best greenkeepers in the US?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »
There are probably a lot of people that do an excellent job that no one will ever here of.

The rub for me is that when there are difficult weather conditions, will this individual have the clout necessary to take action to protect the course?.... as well as needed capital improvements or additional drainage.

Brian Marion

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:52:46 AM »
I don't mean to sound like a smart a** but in all seriousness, I think the best is the guy who puts up with and loves doing the job at the course you're playing at the moment.

Here's a person who has everyone in the club as his boss and they are all "experts" because they see what it "should" look like on tv at a PGA Tour event. Nevermind that that course will NEVER look like that until next year. They all have plenty of recommendations and will gladly give them. Of course, they have no concept of mother nature, budget, employee, equipment or the other thousand issues that has to be dealt with.

So my hats off to all who do the job.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:59:05 AM »
Pete Wendt at Kinloch Golf club

The summers in the Richmond area can get be brutal with the heat and humidity and the golf course is always in wonderful condition. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 11:04:35 AM »
John:

You did not mention (or maybe didn't know) the name of the superintendent at The Honors Course, David Stone.  I believe he has been there from day 1, and you're right, he is terrific.  I've worked with Jim Yonce, and can second your mention of him.

But, really, there are many, many outstanding guys in the business.  If I started, I wouldn't know where to stop.  But I will say that in the category of "preserving the architect's vision", I have been lucky to work with a bunch of great guys:  Ken Nice and Jeff Sutherland in Bandon, Andy Woolston at Riverfront, Paul Delaney and now Steve Marsden at Cape Kidnappers, Phil Hill at Barnbougle, Dave Hensley at Ballyneal, Jared Jeffries at Tumble Creek, Mat Dunmyer and Isaac Farabaugh at Rock Creek, Tracy Richard at Common Ground, and currently, Rusty Mercer at Streamsong / Mosaic.

Everyone I mentioned above [and others I've forgotten] has made our courses play the way they're supposed to play, which isn't always easy to do.  Most of all, they all have a great attitude ... they ask us what we are trying to do, as opposed to telling us that some thing or another isn't going to work, which I've heard a few times over the years from other guys.  These guys are all good enough to make damned near ANYTHING work, if you just let them do their job; and they would be nice enough to tell us if we were about to build something stupid.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:14:05 AM »
I would think that Mark Michaud at Shinnecock and Bob Ranum at Atlantic would have to be considered at the top of their trades. Each keeps their courses in spectacular condition despite often tough heat and humidity conditions in the Northeast.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:51:58 PM by Keith OHalloran »

George Freeman

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 11:15:54 AM »
No list is complete without Dan Lucas and his staff at the Kingsley Club.

Some of the best, if not the best, playing surfaces I have witnessed.  Firm, fast, and fun done perfectly.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »
Pete Wendt and Mark Michaud are absolutely on the short list, as is Sam McKenzie at Olympia Fields.  Sam won Superintendent of the Year a couple years ago and it was a well-earned honor.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 11:17:59 AM »
Dan Lucas at Kingley Club, a Supt I've worked for in the past, JZ at Oakmont, Russ at LACC, Michaud at Shinnecock, Shaffer at Merion, Latshaw, Jr at Muirfield to name a few.  It's tricky to answer this because some Supts you may have never heard of and do an incredible job on a shoestring budget.
  I second Pete Wendt. Some of the finest conditions in one of the most difficult climates imaginable. Scott Furlong at RTJ canhold his own, as well.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:28:26 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

John Shimp

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »
Kelly,
I know LL is your course and I really like it. It is beautifully maintained.  My favorite stretch is 11-16.  I really like hole 4 and 9 on the front and I respect whole 7, particularly when I run over the back....

Tom:  I did not know David Stone's name at Honors. Thank you. I've been there quite a bit over 8 years and it keeps looking better somehow. Yeamans last fall was the best I've ever seen it.  3 putt central but a totally satisfying place to play the complete game of golf from tee shots to putts.  

Thanks for the posts.

Mike Benham

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »

Pete Galea ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 12:18:24 PM »
I'll second Carl Roger's statement.......there are hard working supts all over the globe that do great work, with passion, zeal, humility.

I always think about what a mentor of mine said many years ago...."Anyone can take care of a golf course if they have a million dollar budget; I want to know if you can do it with no money!"

The supt that gets it done when environmental pressures are extreme gets my respect.

Tom
the pres

George Freeman

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 12:21:48 PM »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 12:23:44 PM »
Not to be too much of a homer, but anyone who hasn't seen Dan Lucas' work at Kingsley needs to get their butts up there.  Forget about the course, the playing surface alone is reason enough to make the trip.  Particularly for anyone who hasn't been to Bandon or GB&I....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Scott Stearns

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »
Paul B Latshaw.

I vote for him for many reasons, one of the biggest being that he is helping to train the next generation of great supers, as are many of the others mentoned i am sure. 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 12:33:03 PM »
Unboubtedly there are hundreds of brilliant head greenkeepers with small budgets and difficult conditions.
Cave Nil Vino

jonathan_becker

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 12:35:57 PM »
I'll nominate Brian Mabie.  I've never met the guy, but he was at Firestone and is now at TCCPP.  Both places always have been in excellent shape and play firm and fast.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »
I will spare Mr. Mucci from having to say it ;D... Cliff Moore from Mountain Ridge has been the most impressive super I have met through the construction side so far.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 12:58:24 PM »
I am in the "too many to count" camp. 

That said, isn't it funny how some of the best in the country lose the respect of their members - all of a sudden becoming quite below average if their course is one of the 1% a year that face really extreme conditions?

My question is, has there ever been a 25 year super who has NEVER lost some grass?  I doubt it, but I don't think that reflects on their abilities at all.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Scott Furlong

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 01:26:22 PM »
Pete Wendt is a horrible Sup. 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 01:28:19 PM »
Kyle MacDonald is the new greenskeeper at St. Ives and has done/is doing a great job.

And the greenskeeper at Atlanta  Country Club, his name escapes me, is off-the-charts amazing.  Although I am not a member there, I've played there a few times and even through the awful summer those bent greens were perfect!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

C. Squier

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »
I have to give my guy Sam MacKenzie kudos for the great job he did all summer in the heat.  Part of those kudos were for successfully communicating to the membership and explaining, in easy to understand detail, just what and why he was doing.  You can be the greatest super in the world, but if you can't communicate you'll undoubtedly have members talking behind your back. 

Also, the job the Philly supers did as a whole was outstanding.  From Sunnehanna near Pitt to Lehigh, Lancaster, Rolling Green and Manufacturers conditions were outstanding considering the absolute disaster weather they had. I hear Merion was also in tip top shape during the few weeks of 110* weather.  Can't imagine what it feels like to know your grass is dying at night when temps don't dip below 85*. 

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »
I have to give my guy Sam MacKenzie kudos for the great job he did all summer in the heat.  Part of those kudos were for successfully communicating to the membership and explaining, in easy to understand detail, just what and why he was doing.  You can be the greatest super in the world, but if you can't communicate you'll undoubtedly have members talking behind your back. 

Also, the job the Philly supers did as a whole was outstanding.  From Sunnehanna near Pitt to Lehigh, Lancaster, Rolling Green and Manufacturers conditions were outstanding considering the absolute disaster weather they had. I hear Merion was also in tip top shape during the few weeks of 110* weather.  Can't imagine what it feels like to know your grass is dying at night when temps don't dip below 85*. 

Very well stated, Clint
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Terry Lavin

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 01:55:24 PM »
Pete Wendt is a horrible Sup. 

Did you marry his ex-wife?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim Martin

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 02:27:36 PM »
Scott Ramsay at Yale is right up there with the best. If anyone was at Yale in 2002 and then fast forwards to the present it is clear that what Scott has done is remarkable. Among the work undertaken has been a massive tree removal program, reclamation of greens and fairways, bunker restoration and drainage. My hope is that Scott has found a permanent home.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back