News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Re: Yet Another List - My Favorite People In Golf
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 09:51:29 AM »
Tom,
Have Pete or Alice Dye seen any of your work, even so much as a picture? if so have they had anything to say about it?

Matt:

To the best of my knowledge, the only time Pete Dye has seen one of my original courses was taking a quick peek at High Pointe when he was at Grand Traverse Resort many years ago.  However, I have gotten some nice notes from Alice and Pete in recent years regarding the awards for Pacific Dunes, Old Macdonald, etc.; they have seen the pictures in the magazines like everyone else.  I would love to show them around one or more of my courses, but asking an 85-year-old gentleman to fly somewhere to feed one's ego would be a bit gauche, don't you think?

They have seen a bunch of the consulting work we have done.  They were both at Yeamans Hall a few years back, and several members regaled them with stories of how Jim Urbina and I had fixed up the course, to the point that Alice wrote me a note about it.

Tom:

If a student/former employee/mentee had significant creative success after leaving my firm I would be very proud of their acomplishments. I'm sure Pete would love to see your work and if given the chance the last thing he would think would be that he is there to feed your ego.

But then again, you know each other alot better than I know either one of you!
H.P.S.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 10:08:04 AM »
Very happy to see Ben Crenshaw's name here.  He spent two days at Lancaster a few years ago and a good friend wandered into the bag room to find him hanging out with the caddy master and some young assistants talking about grips and shafts and golf in general. Not an ounce of pretense. Later played and had a private dinner with the pro. They spent another few hours just talking golf. No reason for BC to do it other than he has an infectious love for the game and all that surrounds it.  I sometimes think of him as Defender of the Faith but he is too much of a gentleman for that title so perhaps he is the current Dean of American Golf?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 11:13:59 AM »
Awesome list.  Here's mine from Chicago, arbitrarily cut off at ten:

1.  Mike Keiser:  He's gone from being an unknown to being one of the great trailblazers in the game.  A humble golf Midas whose golden touch has enriched our lives in countless ways.

2.  Dick Carparelli:  Dick is the pro emiritus at Beverly CC.  He has been at Beverly for something like 60 years and at age 93 is still at the club five days a week, still playing a few holes and giving a few lessons.

3.  Bill Shean:  Bill is quite simply the model for an amateur golfer.  He has an unbelievably serene bearing.  He loves the game.  He gives back to the game, supporting the Evans Scholars and the Daniel Murphy Scholars.  He is twice a national champion and forever a gentleman.

4.  Jeff Rude:  Rude has moved on to Orlando, where he continues to work as a Senior Writer at Golfweek.  He got hooked on the game as a caddie at Glen Flora in Waukegan, Illinois, where he learned the game and many other life skills, like how to talk to adults, how to talk to girls, how to gamble, etc.  Most of all, he learned that one need to be ambitious to achieve things in life and in the game of golf.  He is a remarkably gifted golf writer and one of the most soulful individuals I've ever met.

5.  Bruce Patterson:  Bruce is the Director of Golf at Butler National, a member of the PGA of America national board and one of the Top 100 Golf Instructors in America.  More than all that, he is one of the brightest people you'll ever meet in this game, one of the most engaging and one of the very best golf professionals ever, carrying on the tradition of Errie Ball.

6.  John Kaczkowski:  John is the Executive Director of the Western Golf Association/Evans Scholars Foundation.  He ran the Western Open for many years and now runs the entire organization.  A smart, organized and passionate man, he is fully committed to the missions of both organizations.  An absolute gem of a man.

7.  Josh Lesnik:  Josh runs Kemper Sports, which manages a number of courses in Chicago and other nationally, including Bandon Dunes, Chambers Bay and the soon-to-open Cabot Links.  Josh is one of the most fun guys in golf you'll ever meet.  An absolute hoot of a guy to play golf with, go to a game with and go on a golf trip with.  He has the right chops to run a golf club and a golf resort.  He was the first GM at Bandon Dunes and has gone on to be one of the most successful course operators in the country.

8.  The Murphy Brothers:  These guys caddied and became Evans Scholars, then earned a ton of money in business.  They decided to start a foundation that sort of mimicked the Evans program, except it works with 8th graders who need help going to the right high school.  The program identifies the best and brightest kids in the toughest, most underprivileged neighborhoods in Chicago and gives them a free ride to high school while they caddie at Chicagoland clubs.  These kids get the nod only if they are smart, ambitious and have the "fire in the belly" that is required to be a success in life.  My wife and I volunteer as interviewers for kids who are trying to get these coveted scholarships.  It is quite possibly the most life affirming volunteer work I've ever done and it is all possible because of the Murphy Brothers.

9.  Tom Gorman:  Tom is the longtime caddiemaster at Beverly.  He's in the Hall of Fame.  He has influenced thousands of kids over the years who have gone through the legendary caddie program at Beverly.  He is strict, but fair.  He is thoughtful, courteous and attentive.  He is inspiring.  He was also my high school English teacher and he encouraged me when I went through fits of diffidence as a kid.  He encouraged me to work on my writing, telling me it could help me be somebody someday.  A mentor to hundreds of successful adults when they needed him.

10.  Len Ziehm:  Len is the longtime golf writer at the Sun-Times.  He doesn't just love professional and amateur golf.  He loves the game of golf.  He also loves life.  He is a gifted writer and a great friend to everybody who loves the game in Chicago.

n.b.  Any national list would have to include Ran Morrissett, whom I'm privileged to call a friend, having first met him at Olympia Fields in 2002 when we played the North and toured the South with Mike Keiser and Rick Holland in tow.  His impact on the game, internationally, is something to behold.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:18:37 AM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 12:29:17 PM »
Lovely thread - and confirmation of a pattern I've read about often, from all walks of life: the favoured people have favourite people, and became favoured people in part because they have long had and always remember and honour those favourite people (which favourite people were themselves favoured a generation earlier, through their own group of favourite people).

Me? I like no one....

Peter

George Pazin

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 12:36:34 PM »
Lovely thread - and confirmation of a pattern I've read about often, from all walks of life: the favoured people have favourite people, and became favoured people in part because they have long had and always remember and honour those favourite people (which favourite people were themselves favoured a generation earlier, through their own group of favourite people).

Me? I like no one....

Peter

Yet you're loved by many on here!

Tom left me off his list because I was a client of his for about 15 minutes... ;D Well, that, and we've never met.

Apparently today is Ben's birthday, give him a call. (It's my best friend's birthday, too, and I did a search to see who he shares it with. Happy accident.)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Phil McDade

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
Awesome list.  Here's mine from Chicago, arbitrarily cut off at ten:

3.  Bill Shean:  Bill is quite simply the model for an amateur golfer.  He has an unbelievably serene bearing.  He loves the game.  He gives back to the game, supporting the Evans Scholars and the Daniel Murphy Scholars.  He is twice a national champion and forever a gentleman.

Two years ago, playing at Beverly for the first time at the invitation of Mr. Lavin, I met Mr. Shean, I think by stepping on his putting line on the practice green near the clubhouse. What a gentleman! Could not have been nicer to the rube from Wisconsin asking everyone and their uncle any number of questions about the course.

PThomas

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 01:53:51 PM »
Tom - any good stories about Peter D you can share?  i sure miss his writing
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jud_T

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 01:58:25 PM »

She's also the one who gave me the title for my next book -- "Americans are going to ruin golf."

Not sure if this is tongue-in-cheek or not, but this sounds like a book I'd definitely like to read....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 02:00:46 PM »
Tom:

Glad to see you mention Jack May.  A true gentlemen.  One of my first jobs in college was at a law firm where I sat directly across from Mr. May.  You could sense the respect he garnered (and deservedly so).  Would love to hear some stories about your interactions with him relating to Stonewall.  If I'm not mistaken, my working time with him probably coincided with yours (circa 1993-95).

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

JR Potts

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 02:11:38 PM »
n.b.  Any national list would have to include Ran Morrissett, whom I'm privileged to call a friend, having first met him at Olympia Fields in 2002 when we played the North and toured the South with Mike Keiser and Rick Holland in tow.  His impact on the game, internationally, is something to behold.

What about your ultra-local list?

Cough, cough.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 02:19:48 PM »
Sven:

We were just finished with Stonewall in 1993, but luckily I had the opportunity to work with Jack again several years later on the second course.  Before Mike Keiser filled the role, Mr. May was the one who would always make time to talk to a potential client of ours, and try to steer them in the right direction.

One of my favorite memories of him was when he met with the couple that were trying to develop Erin Hills.  They told him they weren't trying to make money on the deal, they just wanted to build a great golf course, and he quickly responded, "Don't ever say something like that.  If you think that way, every potential member or investor is going to be afraid you will lose their money.  Just tell them you aren't trying to make as much money as possible ... that in itself is rare enough to get people's attention."

Terry L:

I think I know six or seven of your ten from Chicago; pretty good for someone who has never lived there!  Bruce Patterson and John Gorman [not Tom] played with Bill Shean and I at Butler that day in 1981.  Of course, I have a professional relationship with Mike K. and Josh, which kept me from including them -- just like I would not have included anyone at Golf Club Atlas, for fear of looking like a suck-up.  And is Jim Murphy one of the Murphy brothers?  I bet he is ... Jim is one of several who tried to introduce me to Mike Keiser right after he bought the property for Bandon Dunes.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 03:48:32 PM »

What about your ultra-local list?

Cough, cough.

Oops, I forgot John Potts, lobbyist extraordinaire and immediate past president of Medinah.  John is a fun guy, a good golfer and a great father whose son...is a great friend of mine.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Chris Johnston

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 04:33:38 PM »
Tom D:

I heartily second both Bill Coore and Dick Youngscap. 

Bill is knowledgable and nice.  A gentleman.

Dick is the glue that holds Sand Hills together as the leader.  He has also done great things for Hooker County.  A good friend who calls em like he see em.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 09:02:12 PM »
Tom Doak,

I've met, or know five of the people you list and would have to second what you had to say about them.
Archie Baird, Bill Coore, Pete Dye, Bill Shean and Dick Youngscap.

But, I do have a problem with your list.

If I look back at all my years of playing golf, the vast majority of people I've met through golf have all been terrific individuals.

Like you, I've met people near and far through golf and almost everyone of them were terrific people.

Sure, there are a few foul balls, but, you avoid them, and thankfully, their numbers are minimal.

If you sit down on a plane with a perfect stranger, and he's a golfer, within minutes, there's a bond between you.
And, more likely than not, you know a lot of people in common.

Golf is a wonderful game, in terms of the field of play, competition and more importantly, the wonderful people we meet.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 09:15:53 PM »
Tom Doak,

I've met, or know five of the people you list and would have to second what you had to say about them.
Archie Baird, Bill Coore, Pete Dye, Bill Shean and Dick Youngscap.

But, I do have a problem with your list.

If I look back at all my years of playing golf, the vast majority of people I've met through golf have all been terrific individuals.

Like you, I've met people near and far through golf and almost everyone of them were terrific people.

Sure, there are a few foul balls, but, you avoid them, and thankfully, their numbers are minimal.

If you sit down on a plane with a perfect stranger, and he's a golfer, within minutes, there's a bond between you.
And, more likely than not, you know a lot of people in common.

Golf is a wonderful game, in terms of the field of play, competition and more importantly, the wonderful people we meet.

Patrick,

In general, I agree with your sentiment.

Unfortunately, though, as you go higher up in the golf business, the percentage of foul balls goes up.  I've met a number of people who are into golf primarily to make money at it, and, sadly, you would know most of their names, too.

I did skew the list with a fair number of well-known people, because they've set such a high standard for others in the golf business.  But, I should have had a caddie from St. Andrews or Kingsbarns on my list, to represent more of the people you refer to.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 10:04:51 PM »
Tom Doak,

One of my critical, independent third party barometers for judging people/golfers is:

What do the caddies and staff say about them.

They have a pretty accurate picture of what a person is really like

Fortunately for me, in Medicine, it seems to be the opposite of what you describe about golf.
The higher up you go, the nicer the physicians seem to be.

I'm so thankful that those in charge of my care and welfare were wonderful human beings, first and foremost, and great physicians/surgeons as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back